From: Michelle Hass Area: Thelema To: Falcon 24 May 95 19:39:40 Subject: JUGORUM UpdReq Hi... I don't know if it's still in print, but one of the better introductions to Gurdjieff's philosophy is "Transformation(s)" by J.G. Bennett. There are a couple of others I recently got copies of..."The Gurdjieff Work" by Kathleen Riordan Speeth, and "Toward Awakening" by Jean Vaysse. Gurdjieff's own writings are rather obscure...he was even worse than people like Waite in writing very obscure prose. None of the directness of a Regardie or a Wilson or even Uncle Al himself. Gurdjieff's most famous works include "Meetings With Remarkable Men" which was an account of his travels in Asia, and "Beelzebub's Tales To His Grandson" which is an allegorical work, spanning several volumes, and includes much of his theories in a pretty hard to crack code. Much of what Gurdjieff taught was stuff he didn't put into writing...he was a very great believer in keeping certain teachings within his school. Therefore, it took students of his like Bennett to put forth much of his theories in writing. Another reason why his own books might be hard to follow is that English and French were not his first language...he was from Georgia, which was part of the Soviet Union before it broke up. Georgian is perhaps similar to Azerbaijani and Armenian...I'm no philologist, but that's where the country is located near. Hope this was somewhat helpful. 93 93/93 --.\\<-H-- michelle.hass@ledge.com 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718