From: Rose Dawn Area: Thelema To: Aesinara 27 Apr 95 09:56:14 Subject: Re: JUGORUM UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Howdy Aesinara, >um forgive me for sounding completely dense, but what exactly is Jugorum? it >soundslike a method for self-discipline involving self-injury,but that would > only work if you can't forget the pain... "The trick is not minding.." "Jugorum" is the short way of saying that one is doing some or all of the practices contained in _Liber III vel Jugorum_, an instruction manual of sorts written by Aleister Crowley. The individual is instructed to control speech and thought, or rather to practice and perfect his/her ability to do so, by means of several exercises outlined in the Liber. One of those exercises is to avoid using some simple word in speech, such as "I" or "and" or "the", a word that the individual likely uses all the time. Another practice is to avoid crossing the legs, or raising the left arm above the waist...things that people do without thinking all the time. It gets slightly more involved from there. When the individual has a 'break,' or slips up and does the unwanted thing, s/he is to immediately slash the forearm with a razor. I'm paraphrasing, cuz I don't have the Liber in front of me right now, but he says something like "thy arm shall serve as both a warning and a record," IOW, you'[ll be able to tell how many times you've slipped up, and to mark your progress, as you theoretically get better and better control of your speech, action, and thought through the practices. Since you'll have cuts and scars on your arms, it *would* serve as a reminder, and therein lies part of my problem. I feel that it would be better discipline to attempt to control one's speech, action, and thought without some painful stimulus to prod one on...simply through the force of your will, attentiveness and concentration. Don't let the idea of slicing yourself with a razor scare you off the basic principle--there's some very interesting schtuff in Liber Jugorum! . I've been trying some of the exercises, _sans_ razor, and have had some interesting results. Nice to 'meet' you, BTW. ;> Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718