From: Josh Norton Area: Thelema To: Tim Maroney 16 Sep 94 14:30:00 Subject: Re: book of coming forth UpdReq Thus said Tim Maroney to Josh Norton concerning Re: book of coming forth: TM> Hi! Refresh my memory -- are you my oldest Thelemic sparring TM> partner, formerly yclept "Therion"? If so or no, glad to see you TM> again! Gods, I'd forgotten that handle. (Blushes) Yeah, that's me. Don't think we've actually talked since I dropped off CIS for a while in the early '80s. TM> I have read a good number of your pieces under this name and I TM> always enjoy them. Thanks much. I try to keep things stirred up, though these days I usually try to do so in a bit more productive form. There are still exceptions, of course. Whatever, we'll be glad to see you whenever you feel like dropping in here. ... Knowledge is finite, ignorance is boundless. --- Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Christeos Pir Area: Thelema To: Kevin Bold 17 Sep 94 01:46:14 Subject: Chart Question UpdReq * Reply to msg originally in Astrology -=> Kevin Bold sent a message to Christeos Pir on 15 Sep 94 10:02:58 <=- -=> Re: Chart Question <=- Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. KB> Christeos, you know that _Annuit Coeptis_ carries articles on KB> astrology, unless, of course, your camp secretary hasn't been KB> circulating the issues we have sent to your local body. I'm sure our KB> in-house astrologer, Frater Horace Cope, would be happy to help you KB> out, and send you a computer-printed chart as well. Thanks Kevin. Actually, the Camp Secretary is me. But what I originally had in mind was a delineation of a certain chart (10/12/1875, 11:30 pm, Leamington Spa, England) without mentioning to Jeanne whose it was. I was hoping to get it in time to print it in our Crowleymas (October) issue. No matter, things worked out fine without it. Thanks for the word. Love is the law, love under will. - CP ... But for me the lustral water, the great ablution, the dissolving 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Christeos Pir Area: Thelema To: Josh Norton 17 Sep 94 10:30:50 Subject: Liber al prophecy UpdReq -=> Josh Norton sent a message to All on 14 Sep 94 16:18:00 <=- -=> Re: Liber al prophecy <=- Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. JN> "I am the warrior Lord of the Forties: the Eighties cower before me, & JN> are abased." Y'know, for some reason I always remember this as "...the Eighties _bow down_ before me..." Must be some internal translator. JN> If I remember correctly, Crowley took this line as prophecy of great JN> wars in the 1940's and 1980's, and later took the occurrance of WWII JN> as a fulfillment of the prophecy. There was also some connection made JN> -- perhaps not by Crowley -- between Horus and the development of JN> nuclear weapons. JN> A few years ago, when the 80's were almost over without the world JN> being engulfed in some monstrous conflict, I recall people saying it JN> must not have been a prophecy after all. There was a lot of discussion JN> of what it might actually mean, most of it based on gematria of one JN> sort or another. None of these appeared very satisfactory to me. My question is, and has been all along, If the Aeon is to last approximately two millenia, then _what_ 40's and 80's are we talking about? 1940's? 2040's? 2980's? 3880's? My favorite unserious explanation of the verse goes like this: 40 & 80 ... Mem & Peh ... M & P ... Ma & Pa ... ergo, "I am the warrior Lord of the women; the men bow down -oops, cower- before me and are abased." Love is the law, love under will. - CP JN> Now I'd like to reconsider the prophetic angle for a moment, with JN> particular attention to the phrase "cower before me". JN> Horus is a god of war. It seems to me that someone who "cowers before" JN> him would be expressing _fear_ of war, or of its consequences. JN> "Abasement" means to bring down, humble, or lower in status. The JN> overall phrase might then be interpreted to mean that the period of JN> the 1980's would be one in which people became more fearful of the JN> prospect of war, and were more willing to give up a portion of their JN> personal or national self-respect in order to avoid it. JN> In the late 1970's and early 1980's, many studies were done that JN> finally killed the concept of a "survivable" nuclear war. While JN> "mutual assured destruction" had been the overall theory behind the JN> nuclear standoff for a long time, the military and political cadres of JN> the nuclear powers didn't really believe it. Much of their planning JN> was based on assumptions that a good portion of the national JN> population and industrial base would still be in good shape after a JN> nuclear exchange. JN> But the studies changed that; the "nuclear winter" scenario was only JN> one of these. Others demonstrated that no possible emergency plan JN> would be sufficient to ensure the continued existence of a national JN> economy after a nuclear war; the inevitable result would be chaos. JN> This created an increased consciousness of the danger in the public JN> mind, and increase pressure on the politicos to do something about it. JN> The military finally admitted this, and shifted their attention to JN> non- nuclear options. Thus, with the coming of the Reagan JN> administration, there was a concentration on a buildup of conventional JN> forces, with a corresponding effort to maintain parity by the Soviets. JN> The Soviet economy, much weaker than that of the NATO countries, was JN> stretched to the limit by this effort, and then overstretched by their JN> Afghanistan adventure (deemed necessary for internal political JN> reasons). JN> Then came Reagan's "Star Wars" plan; create a defensive net sufficient JN> to negate the power of Soviet nuclear missiles. We now know this was JN> mostly a boondoggle, but at the time it was taken seriously. The JN> Soviets were faced with the prospect of a missile defense they JN> couldn't afford to develop or build, and a conventional war they JN> couldn't afford, and couldn't prevent through a nuclear threat. The JN> result was that they began to make serious agreements to reduce JN> nuclear weapons, with the tacit proviso that the U.S. would drop or JN> weaken its SDI initiative. JN> A few years later, the economic effects caught up with the USSR; the JN> Russians simply couldn't afford to maintain military control over the JN> other Soviet and puppet states, and the whole thing collapsed. The JN> Soviet Union was destroyed as effectively as if they had lost a war, JN> though with less loss of life and property. JN> In a sense, they DID lose a war; but it was a war of nerves and of JN> economies, not of guns and missiles. They "cowered before" the JN> prospect of war, and were abased. Sun-Tzu felt that making your enemy JN> lose without ever engaging him was the best way to fight a war. Seems JN> to me that applies very well to this situation. JN> Other effects: the ending of the U.S.-Soviet polarity, and the two JN> sides' economic and military support of puppet regimes around the JN> world actually created an _increase_ in the amount of violence in many JN> parts of the world. Puppet regimes and rebels, freed of focus on their JN> former backers' goals, began prosecuting their own causes in earnest. JN> Old ethnic resentments came to the fore and created even more JN> bloodletting. JN> The U.S. was also "abased", in the sense of a loss of status. The JN> government's image as a superpower has been tarnished -- or shown to JN> have been largely an illusion in the first place. The U.S.'s attempts JN> to be a "world peacekeeper" since the collapse of it rival haven't JN> been terribly effective. JN> So I would say that, in the interpretation taken here, the prophecy of JN> AL 3.46 was very well fulfilled. JN> Comments, anyone? JN> ... "OOPS!" -- SDI software engineer. JN> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 JN> -!- Maximus 2.01wb JN> ! Origin: Star In The Circle BBS. To climb the Tree... (93:9030/0) ... they that sealed up the book into their blood were the chosen of ADNI 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: To Meta Thereon Area: Thelema To: Joseph Max 18 Sep 94 00:32:28 Subject: Re: 'ELLO UpdReq I thank you for the info. I had forgotten that simple saying about work. Yes, any work IS good work. If I had not heard that from Crowley, I heard it from David Carradine in Kung Fu. I understand now what is meant, but I still can not force myself to create the weapons. Perhaps, though, I should begin commiting Liber 777 to memory, and other of Crowley's writings If you have any help concerning such a great task please relay it to me. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Fir Area: Thelema To: Tim Maroney 16 Sep 94 12:28:00 Subject: Khephra UpdReq Tim, TM> I do know that when I go to Egyptian TM> references, they attribute Khephra to the dawn, Sekhmet to the TM> noonday sun (or TM> sometimes Ra), Tum to the sunset (got that right), and I'm not TM> sure about midnight. Any particular references you could cite that attribute Sekhmet to the noonday sun? Thanks, Fir 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: P.R. Area: Thelema To: Julia Phillips 12 Sep 94 18:08:04 Subject: Web of Wyrd UpdReq I just got my copy on the mail today. Thank you very much Ramon 93, 93/93 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718