From: Grendel Grettisson Area: Thelema To: Fir 5 Sep 94 01:13:04 Subject: GD UpdReq * Replying to a message originally to Paul Hume on 09-04-94 FF> I've heard that a gentleman from Tahuti Lodge along with someone FF> from Seattle will be taking over Eidolon after the next issue FF> comes out. That should be interesting! They say they plan to FF> publish one previously unpublished manuscript each issue. Isn't it common knowledge? I've met the fellow here and there and discussed the matter with him when Hakim Bey was in town and we were at a party to meet him. I have the fellow's number in my wallet in fact. Wassail, Grendel Grettisson 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Grendel Grettisson Area: Thelema To: Tony Iannotti 5 Sep 94 01:14:04 Subject: Secret Rites of the O.T.O. Rec'd UpdReq * Replying to a message originally to Jaq on 09-01-94 TI> I prefer to have OTO rituals, and even mangled copies, in TI> the hands of OTO people. Still haven't heard from you, Tony... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Grendel Grettisson Area: Thelema To: Josh Norton 5 Sep 94 01:17:06 Subject: Book of coming forth UpdReq * Replying to a message originally to All on 09-03-94 JN> Did anyone read the pirate copy of ToS's "Book of Coming Forth JN> by Night", over in I-net's alt.magick? Yeppers. JN> What I am interested in asking: Does anyone have the FAINTEST JN> idea how the "numbers & words" of Liber AL 2.76 were decoded into a JN> declaration that Michael Aquino is the Magus of a new aeon of Set? No but you could go over to the Base of Set and ask him. Wassail, Grendel Grettisson 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Fir Area: Thelema To: Josh Norton 5 Sep 94 07:55:00 Subject: levi in the equinox? UpdReq Hi Josh! TI> Yes, Levi's The Key of the Mysteries was published as a TI> supplement to one of the numbers. I'd have to find out which one. JN> You could probably find the Dover or Weiser editions of JN> _Les_Clefs_ cheaper than buying the Equinox for it. As a matter of fact I have a copy of _Key of the Mysteries_ enroute in the mail, but I do intend to buy the complete set of the Equinox someday. Thanks for the suggestion though! Fir 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Navitae Area: Thelema To: Jaq 29 Aug 94 19:44:28 Subject: Re: More books... UpdReq N> Ja> Besides most references I can remember were N> Ja> putting down Crowley. N> Not that I recall. Bertiaux has complaints about A.C. as does N> just about anyone with brains, but he also incorporates a lot of N> Thelema in his stuff. Ja> One passage I remember was in reference to books like Liber AL. Ja> That any one could "channel" them, and Crowley wasn't so special. True. A.C. was a prophet and certainly not the only one who can contact the "higher beings". This is not to say that he wasn't one of the most important magicians ever to have lived or that he didn't leave a powerful legacy. Only to point out that he was laying the tracks that all of us can follow. Ja> I can't embark on any real critisim of Bertiaux because I Ja> haven't seen his book in over 5 or 6 years(maybe more). But Ja> I read the book through and through, and the impression I Ja> got is that it seems to be really good stuff on the surface Ja> but the core was bull. I got exactly the opposite impression. On the surface, it's confusing and disorganized but underneath, there's a wealth of information and a powerful magic system. I have an advantage of having studied under him though, as well as being in the process (over the past 5 years or so) of researching the source of his information. A lot of it is original of course, but he has been in contact with an astonishing number of other occultists and inherited more lineages than any one else I know of and incorportated the material into his courses. Brief listing: The Monastery of the Seven Rays Ecclesia Gnostica Spiritualis Ancient and Primitive Rite of Memphis-Misraim Ecclesia Gnostica Ophitica Universal Mertinist Federation of Initiatics Albigensian Gnostic Rite of Haiti Die Vereingung fur gnostische und magisches Christentum (Tantrik) Die Vereingung fur gnostische theurische Ontologie das esoterischen Christentum (Martinist) Esoteric Rite of the Rose-Croix Church of the Mandala of Giordano Bruno Fraternitas Hermetica American Synod of Gnostic Bishops QBLH Alchemist Church Martinist Order of the Rose-Croix and Aleph-Initiates Interior Santuary of the Elect Priesthood Naasanian Gnostic Brotherhood of Initiates and Adepts Bertiaux inherited these and added his own contacts with various Thelemic magi, Voudoo (LCN etc) Shinto, Tantrik as well as numerous Gnostic lineages (9 as of a few years ago, certainly more by now). 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Navitae Area: Thelema To: Fyrstar 29 Aug 94 19:57:10 Subject: Re: Qabalistic Cross UpdReq Fy> 93 and Fraternal Greetings Fy> Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Fy> I am currently researching the history and tradition of the Fy> Qabalistic Cross in ritual use, any information which could be passed Fy> on would be greatly appreciated. Thanx There's been a discussion of it's Jewish origins on alt.magick. This is from Colin Low's Kabbalah FAQ: The source is a pamphlet called "A First Step - a Devotional Guide" which was written by Zalman Schachter and reprinted in "The First Jewish Catalogue" by Richard Siegel, Michael Strassfeld and Sharon Strassfeld, published by the Jewish Publication Society of America in 1973, ISBN 0-8276-0042-9. The blurb describing the pamphlet states: "A First Step by Zalman Schachter is not a translation. It was first written in English. It is a contemporary attempt to make accessible spiritual and devotional techniques from classic Jewish sources, sources on which the pamphlet was based." [Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi, (PhD and Professor Emeritus of Religion at Temple University, founder of the Jewish Renewal movement) is a very important teacher and scholar - Greg Burton] The author of the pamphlet states "The approach used here is that of classical Jewish mysticism, as refined by Hasidism, and in particular, by the Habad school." [Chabad comes from Chokhmah, Binah, Daath - Wisdom, Understanding and Knowledge - Colin] Now to the exercise given: "On other nights, after a short examination, screen yourself off from sounds and cares by visualising an angel - a spiritual force field - of grace at your right, this force field being impenetrable by care or worry; at your left, an angel of power and strength; before you, an angel of soft light and luminousness, and behind you an angel of healing. Over your head, picture the very presence of the loving God. As you visualise this, say: "In the name of YHVH The God of Israel: At my right hand Michael At my left Gabriel Ahead of me Oriel Behind me Raphel Above my head the Sheckinah of God!" "Imagine yourself plugging into Michael for love - so that you can love more the next day; Gabriel for strength - to fill you for the next day; Oriel filling you with the light of the mind; Raphael healing all your ills." Greg Burton (gburt@aol.com) comments on this exercise: ---------------------Greg's contribution begins here------------------ This particular exercise is derived from the practice of saying the Sh'ma 'before lying down' - the 'kriyat (bedtime) Sh'ma'. A full traditional Sephardic version, in Hebrew and English, and with some commentary, can be found beginning on page 318 of the 'Artscroll Siddur' (nusach Sefard), Mesorah, ISBN 0-89906-657-7. Traditional Hassidic kavvenot intentions/directions/way to do it) can be found in 'Jewish Spiritual Practices' by Yitzhak Buxbaum, Aronson, ISBN 0-87668-832-6. The attributes listed in the so-called 'Qabbalistic Cross' comes from Psalm 99, verse 5, and are part of the Shachrit (morning) Torah service. The attributes assigned for the movements are not traditional, and the order has been changed. If using the traditional assignments (Gevurah left, Gedulah or Chesed right), and saying the sephirotic names in the proper order, it more properly would describe the Lightening Flash in the lower 7 Sephirot, rather than a cross. (Note in the kriyat Sh'ma that Michael (Chesed) is on the right and Gabriel (Gevurah) is on the left. The implication is that one is facing Keter). Due to changes in directional / elemental / archangelic positioning, it is not obvious (but clearly implied) that physically one is facing North. Another change is that the LBRP does not bless the Divine, while the Jewish service does. This lack of blessing may reflect the not-so-covert Christian/Rosicrucian bias in G.D. liturgy and a particular theology, or it may not. In any event, it changes what was originally an theurgic act into a thaumaturgic act. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: JOSEPH MAX Area: Thelema To: JOSH NORTON 3 Sep 94 14:31:00 Subject: Re: BOOK OF COMING FORTH UpdReq -=> Quoting Josh Norton to All <=- JN> Did anyone read the pirate copy of ToS's "Book of Coming Forth by JN> Night", over in I-net's alt.magick? JN> [comments deleted to avoid flames from lurking Setians...] JN> What I am interested in asking: Does anyone have the FAINTEST idea how JN> the "numbers & words" of Liber AL 2.76 were decoded into a declaration JN> that Michael Aquino is the Magus of a new aeon of Set? JN> There are about the same number of letters in that verse as there are JN> words in Aquino's "decoded" version. Awfully efficient system -- beats JN> the hell out of ZIP compression. JN> Suggestions anyone? Well, all it takes is a mystical epiphiny (or a large ego...) It would appear Dr. Aquino (or Set, depending on who's story you accept), first took any numbers appearing and directly converted them to letters of the English alphabet; ie. "4 3 6 8" becomes "D F C H". The letters appearing in the passage remained English letters. So the passage becomes a list of "initials", to whit: "D F C H A B K B D A L G M O R C Y X F H R P S T O V A L" The numbers "24" and "89" in the passage must, of course, be rendered into their digital numerological form, eg. 24 = 6 and 89 = 17 = 8 (fortunately for Set, there was no need for any letter beyond #9) For those who missed it, the text of the "decoded" version (as per Dr. Aquino) reads: "Destined First Century Heir - Aquino - Breaking Keys By Doctrines Anton LaVey - Great Magus Of Reconstruction Coming Year Xeper - Founding His Rightful Priesthood - Set - True Origin Volume AL." Though I have read no account of Dr. Aquino's concerning the circumstances of the "transmission", I imagine that he had already done (as many who have studied the Book of the Law) the numerological conversion to initials, and the list of letters merely awaited the message of Set to fill in the words. Personally speaking, and meaning no slur to Dr. Aquino or to The Temple Of Set (both of which I hold in very high regard), the whole thing sounds like someone is "grasping" for a translation here. For one thing, there is the dreadful syntax structure. Even with the "dashes" inserted to make it somewhat more readable, you would think that a supernatural being such as Set would have a somewhat better command of the language being used. TBOCFBN is for the most part far more correct in it's language structure than in the particular passage which is appearently it's most important "revealation". And another small quibble I have concerns the translation of the Egyptian word "xeper" (or "kheper", depending on how one renders the Egyptian into English lettering.) According to all of the TOS literature, it means "becoming" or "come into being" and it is the prime focus of the Setian. But I ran across a passage in the book "Egyptian Magic" by E.A. Wallis Budge (K.Paul, Trench, Trubner, 1899) that in reference to the scarab beetle, states: "The unseen power of God, made manifest under the form of the god Khepera, caused the sun to roll across the sky, and the act of rolling (it's dung balls) gave the scarab it's name _kheper_, ie. 'he who rolls'." Hmmm... Being the Budge was the Keeper of Egyptian and Assyrian Antiquities of the British Museum, I imagine he knew what he was about. Does this mean that the Setians are primarily concerned with rolling balls of dung? The mind boggles... ... I tried being reasonable once. I didn't like it. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Joseph Max Area: Thelema To: ALL 3 Sep 94 14:31:00 Subject: The Meaning Of Thelema UpdReq The Meaning of Thelema ---------------------- WHAT THE THELEMITES SAY: WHAT THEY MEAN: ___-------------------- -------------- 1. Thou hast no right but to 1. Fine, don't do it my way... do thou will. but it'll be wrong. 2. I disagree, but "As 2. I'm planning your "greater brothers fight..." feast" for sometime next week. 3. Take your fill and will 3. Wanna fuck? of love as ye will. 4. It's beyond your grade. 4. I don't know. 5. Meditate on it. 5. I really don't know. 6. It's a blind. 6. Nobody knows. 7. It's revealed wisdom. 7. He made it up. 8. Their rituals are too 8. There's not enough sex "Old Aeon". and violence. 9. In terms of physical 9. My cat exploded. phenomena, the ritual was a great sucess. 10. That lecture was very 10. How many oaths did you break informative. with that one? 11. Our ritual should be 11. It's a combined Set/Choronzon quite powerful. evocation with a little Cthulu thrown in for extra punch. 12. His new rituals are not 12. He changed two words in Liber true to Crowley's vision. Pyramidos. 13. Taking this initiation will 13. Your husband will leave, you'll accelerate your progress lose your job, a meteor will on the path. strike your car, and your dog will die. 14. That's an interesting 14. Crowley is spinning in his interpretation. grave fast enough to generate electricity. 15. Their camp is very 15. They're planning to overthrow independent. the Grand Master and become born-again Christians. 16. That's how Crowley 16. I don't have a good reason, originally intended it. I just like it that way. 17. Their temple has a lot 17. They haven't banished since of magickal energy. 1967. 18. The feast was fun -- 18. There were 3 major philoso- you know, the usual... phical schisms, 2 magickal duels to the death, an im- promptu X-rated Gnostic Mass and the usual orgy to follow. 19. He brings a strong sense of 19. He thinks his Crowley's rein- conviction to his commentaries carnation and he wants his on Crowley's works. royalties. 20. Yes, "Liber Call Me Al" was 20. Tell us who wrote it so we very witty. can kill him. 21. Your message has some inter- 21. The FBI just called and we esting political implications. turned you in. 22. Do what thou wilt shall be the 22. I do whatever I damn well want whole of the law. to, so fuck off and die. -------------------------- (Um, just kidding, folks... hehehehehehehehe....) ... Hey Mr. Crowley Man, Tally Me Kaballah! ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ben Gruagach Area: Thelema To: Wicked 5 Sep 94 11:33:00 Subject: finding books UpdReq In a message dated 08-27-94 Wicked wrote to All: W> Anyone have a spare copy I could buy cheap?? W> (poor witch) Wicked I'm not really sure what book you were looking for, but I have a few suggestions for finding books cheaply. Around where I live (near Toronto, Ontario, Canada) there have been a number of "giant book sale" stores over the past few years. These stores sell whatever books you would usually find in mainstream stores' sale bins. When you shop at these places, it's kind of like visiting the sale bins at all the local bookstores, but all under one roof. The selection isn't always that great, but if you are willing to look (and come back to look when they get new shipments in), you might be lucky enough to find just what you're looking for. I know that a while back there were dozens of hardcover copies of Crowley's "Magick in Theory and Practice" selling for about $5.00 Canadian in these sorts of stores. Used bookstores are also excellent sources for cheap and out-of-print books. I went to university at Queen's in Kingston, Ontario, and my favourite bookstores were the secondhand ones. I got many valuable books there, from a hardcover copy of Rossel Hope Robbins' "Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Demonology," to Jane Yolen's "Favourite Folktales from Around the World." Depending on the store, you might be able to get books at good prices - I was able to get my books for less than the cover price in most cases. You might also find books you can use at public library book sales. Occasionally, libraries will sell off old copies and duplicates of books they have in their collections. Ask at your nearest public library to ask about whether they are planning a book sale soon. Rummage sales, yard sales, and flea markets can occasionally turn up interesting finds too, but you have to be willing to look (and sometimes haggle over prices). Finding books to add to your personal library can be an adventure in itself. Have fun, and good luck! Take care, Ben -> Alice4Mac 2.3.1 E QWK Eval:25Jul94 # Origin: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Paul Hume Area: Thelema To: Fir 6 Sep 94 23:14:16 Subject: Levi in the Equinox? UpdReq Fir - I don't have the EQ number but I believe the translation of Key Of The Mysteries appeared in the Equinox. Paul 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Christeos Pir Area: Thelema To: Josh Norton 6 Sep 94 11:09:12 Subject: Book of coming forth UpdReq -=> Josh Norton sent a message to All on 03 Sep 94 22:22:02 <=- -=> Re: Book of coming forth <=- Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. JN> Did anyone read the pirate copy of ToS's "Book of Coming Forth by JN> Night", over in I-net's alt.magick? Yep. I tried to send you a copy by Netmail, but the BBS said the address I used wasn't listed. JN> [comments deleted to avoid flames from lurking Setians...] LOL! JN> What I am interested in asking: Does anyone have the FAINTEST idea how JN> the "numbers & words" of Liber AL 2.76 were decoded into a declaration JN> that Michael Aquino is the Magus of a new aeon of Set? Interesting, no? And here all this time I thought it meant that _I_ was to be the "one who cometh after"! (Yeah, after the elephants, with a broom and a pan.) Love is the law, love under will. - CP ... And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Paul Hume Area: Thelema To: Fir 7 Sep 94 12:58:44 Subject: GD UpdReq Fir - F> There was an article by Richard Kaczynski titled 'Of Heresy F> and Secrecy: Evidence of Golden Dawn Teachings on Mystic Sexuality' F> in Issue 7 of Eidolon. That looks like what you're referencing. Bingo! If Navitae cannot fiQSA}nd a copy, he may be interested in a xerox for his files. Paul 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Tony Iannotti Area: Thelema To: Grendel Grettisson 8 Sep 94 13:15:20 Subject: Re: Secret Rites of the O.T.O. UpdReq -=> Quoting Grendel Grettisson to Tony Iannotti <=- GG> * Replying to a message originally to Jaq on 09-01-94 TI> I prefer to have OTO rituals, and even mangled copies, in TI> the hands of OTO people. GG> GG> Still haven't heard from you, Tony... Sorry, netmail tonight. `~~~ PGPBLUE 2.0 ... "Is that seat saved?" "No, but we're praying for it." 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718