From: Paul Hume Area: Thelema To: Navitae 30 Aug 94 08:44:40 Subject: G40L>-`%#ip3!93C UpdReq Navitae - Annie Horniman was one of Moina Mathers' closest friends, a relationship dating back, I believe, to Moina's art school days - their fathers (Horniman was wealthy, I forget if from land or "trade"; Bergson was a noted philosopher) were also friendly (again, this is dredged up from awhile back). It is for certain that... - Horniman was a patroness of MacGregor's studies, providing a small competence for him in England for some years as a librarian, and contributing to the couple's welfare when they moved to France. - Horniman was among the first (the first?) initiates to the 5=6o when Mathers introduced the Second Order rituals. - Horniman was, at the time of the Second Order revolt, one of the "executive" officers of Isis-Urania - I seem to recall Imperatrix, but Yeats might have been Imperator, in which case I presume Horniman was Cancellaria. - Farr had held executive office as well, but I forget if it was to Farr or Horniman that the famous Mathers letter indicting Westcott of procuring the letters from "SDA" to be forged was sent. Gilbert is probably the best source of good documentation on who was who in Isis-Urania, with Howe and King, each hobbled by their particular shortcomings as historians, in the second tier. Horniman was touchy about sex, and sex magick, and particularly unhappy with Dr. Berridge some years before the schisms of 1900, for attempting to get people interested in the teachings of Thomas Lake Harris, an American and, I seem to recall, a student of Paschal Beverley Randolph's. SHe was later equally unhappy with Our Mister Crowley, on the same lines. There was a letter from Moina to Horniman, rather stiffly (to my view) telling her friend and fellow initiate to cool it on the subject, and hinting at advanced sexual formulae in the higher degrees, which has since been trotted out to argue that there were sex magick teachings in the GD, just ones that have not been spread around. I think this argument (along with the text of Moina's letter) last surfaced about a year ago in either Mezlim or Eidolon, and can try and track the reference down if you don't have it in your collection. 93. Paul 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Paul Hume Area: Thelema To: Andy Bender 30 Aug 94 09:08:32 Subject: Ashtar? UpdReq Andy - I forget the Celtic Knot's number, but it is in DC - do you really want to call across the continent to pursue this? You might ask around the local boards first, anyway. Remind me if I don't stick the number up here (the board also favors the Windows front-end Excalibur, though I am pretty sure it supports TTY). Paul 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718