From: Azoth Area: Thelema To: Vitriol 7 Jul 92 20:23:00 Subject: Re: Liber AL UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. V > A> 1975 - _The_Commentaries_of_AL_ V > A> Australia, around $93, or on the collector's market in the V > A> Weiser edition (cost me $150) V > Great Googlymoogly, Toto! I think I may have paid as near $9.95 as V > makes no difference, back in '75 when that was a good 5 hours' pay V > for me! Guess I better stop posting my name and address, before some V > Thuggee-practising Son-of-Apep rogue Thelemite braves the bulldog V > -not to mention the .380 and the 12-guage- to climb in my window! Rogue Thelemite? ROGUE THELEMITE? With the current occult boom, centred on the millenial transition as usual, prices for tomes sent forth during the last minor peak in the '70's have gone through the roof. I sure as Cartagra wouldn't be paying the prices I do, if I didn't need them NOW. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I've always had a thing for good books, anyway. Been reading some of AC's fiction from Teitan press, as well. _Golden_Twigs_ is quite well done, and even my wife gets a kick from _Snowdrops_ (go figure...) BTW, I just got the _Magickal_and_Philosophical_Commentaries_ today, and it's gorgeous, despite being fairly riddled with typos, which the previous owner went to great lengths to correct. Even so, on the first page of the Commentary, there's a footnote listing the first publication of the 'Old Comment' as Equinox I,10 instead of correctly as I,7. Tsk, tsk. It's now my task to guage the extent of Crowley's hypothetical 'reconsiderations' by subtracting Motta's edition from Grant's, the remainder being the points in question. A similar task, of lesser magnitude, but greater curiousity, is reached by comparing a literal typescript of the holograph manuscript of AL (like the one from 93 Pubs) with the latest corrected edition of Crowley's typescript (like the Weiser edition of _Equinox_of_the_Gods.) Did that once before, as I recall, but it doesn't hurt to repeat inconclusive exercises. Speaking of typos, in a recent post I identified AC's letters in MWT as having been written for Jane Wolfe. I don't now recall where I got that, but I just found in Symmond's latest that they were written for Mrs. Anne Macky, Soror Fiat Yod. This information comes from Grant, who actually took down some of the letters at Crowley's dictation in 1944. V > mister! Don't make us bring in... THE COMFY CHAIR!!! But I LIKE the COMFY CHAIR! V > A> I've met the Guardian of the Threshold, and He's NOT Me! V > So Pogo was wrong, huh? Hmm... So much for theoretical musings- the V > voice of experience tends to shatter the daydream. Now I REALLY want V > to meet Hir! Amazing how much eagerness your message evokes in Me! Persistence counts.... V > Ah, well... Would it be impertinent to ask for more info? Or is it Nope, but it would certainly be impertinent of ME to presume to advise YOU regarding the necessary. Such gains as I've made over the years have been rather intimately tied to the idea that what is good and proper for me cannot and should not be extrapolated into application by anyone else. The simple premise that I'm about my own Work, and nobody else's, keeps me marginally, but significantly, safer from the fatal error of wanting to take myself seriously, to the elevation of my ego, and the failure of my assigned tasks. V > Digression: V > I am reminded of MWT: V > "I am afraid you have still got the idea that the Great Work is a V > tea-party. Contact with other students only means that you criticize V > their hats, and then their morals; and I am not going to encourage V > this. Your work is not anybody else's; and undirected chatter is the V > worst poisonous element in human society." Yeah, What he said! Love is the Law, love under will. ___ X BABBLE v1.0 X There is no law beyond. Do what thou wilt. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Vitriol Area: Thelema To: Azoth 8 Jul 92 07:08:00 Subject: Re: Liber AL Rec'd UpdReq -=> Azoth sent a message to Vitriol on 07-06-92 07:06 <=- -=> Re: Liber AL <=- Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. A> Mmmmm. Well, so does He..... };-] Well, as you can tell I've seen your follow up by now, and responded in my usual nerve-wracking manner. ;-) A> Oh, yeah, BTW, I picked up a spare copy of the _Enochian_Evocation_ ..A> you can probably talk me out of this one, DIBS! The check's in the mail, honest. Oh. I guess I need an address to send it to. If you're reticent about posting it, you can slip it in the book. (With your collection, I would be, too.) How's $40, to cover p&h, etc.? 43511 Plantation Terrace Ashburn, VA 22011-4616 Love is the law, love under will. * BWave/QWK v0.96 * Return! For the work is ended, and the Book is shu 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Josh Norton Area: Thelema To: Mark Ad 9 Jul 92 10:09:06 Subject: Re: LIBER AL UpdReq >Not meaning to butt in here (but doing it anyway), Oh, feel free! I do it all the time. >why would a wiccan contest that statement of yours? Maybe it's the way I talk about her as if she was some biker's old lady. The Old Bitch tolerates my foibles, but a few of her worshippers -- mostly in radical feminist covens -- seem to have a problem with it. * SLMR 2.1a * "Legitimate government" is an oxymoron. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718