From: Vitriol Area: Thelema To: Frater Q.A.A. 30 Jun 92 06:30:10 Subject: Re: Wm. Blake UpdReq -=> Frater Q.a.a. sent a message to Paul Hume on 06-28-92 18:42 <=- -=> Wm. Blake <=- FQ> My main concern in this posting is that you and any FQ> other Thelemite who might be interested, review Liber LXV FQ> Chapter I: 56-57. I need only to ask you to take a look at FQ> the events of last evening and today to confirm why. FQ> Tornadoes in Texas, Earthquakes in California, and FQ> not to mention what happened right here in MD. Oh well, FQ> There will never be a Doubt as to the truth of experience. My initial take on this (without having looked up the commentary for those verses) is that there is a great danger in looking for absolute correspondences to verses and then turning them to prophecy. Every generation, some bible-thumpers turn up and claim that the "prophecy" in the Book of Revelations is this very moment being fulfilled, and the end is nigh. IMHO, they fall into the pit of reason due to searching the sky for the return of the great god Because. ;-) 418 * BWave/QWK v0.96 * =+=Vitriol=+= 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Vitriol Area: Thelema To: Josh Norton 30 Jun 92 06:30:12 Subject: Re: Care Bears UpdReq -=> Josh Norton sent a message to Frater Almost on 06-27-92 14:08 <=- -=> Re: Care Bears <=- JN> * SLMR 2.1a * What does it all mean, Mr. Natural? "Flakey, my boy, it don't mean SH*T!" ... R. Crumb is God. * BWave/QWK v0.96 * R. Crumb is God. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Neuro Sonic Area: Thelema To: Josh Norton 1 Jul 92 20:49:24 Subject: Liber AL UpdReq Is it the message or the plagirism, that you don't trust? Although one may argue as to the existence of Aiwass, can you really argue the Message of Individualism. Overcoming the barriers which separate you from your environment. Asking you to explore all around you, to embrace all around you, and to develope your inner-self to the point of self-mastery? Is that what you don't trust, or is it the fact that in Crowley's haste to (Channel/Create) a philosophy void of the perils that X-tianity, had brought forward, that he borrowed a few sayings from other cultures. Would you prefer that he would have halted the poetic verse of Liber AL in order to replace "Love is The Law, Love under Will." with a description of what that means to be a Thelemite, making sure not to mimic the sayings of other cultures all the while. HUmmmm.... I don't think he'd be done formulating it yet. And even if he did, Would it roll off the tongue so nicely, or would it be veriafiable Qabalistically. I for one have doubts as to Aiwass's existence as a separate entity from Crowley, but 1) I wasn't there, and 2) it doesn't matter to me whether Crowley, Aiwass, Jesus, Mo, Larry, or Curly wrote the damn thing, it works..... Have you ever been ridden by the goddess of the stars? 93 93/93 Neuro Sonic 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Tony Iannotti Area: Thelema To: All 3 Jul 92 17:51:18 Subject: Nicholas Tharcher Sent UpdReq Just for your info, the gentleman behind the scenes in the recent Falcon Press thingie is calling himself Nick Tharcher, and I just noticed him lurking on my board here. He searched out the messages that I have entered in the past week, presumably captured them in some way, and split. I was sitting there watching for a while, since I figured he would want to chat, but noooo, he just got the messages and split. Any time anyone logs off here, they are asked if they would like to leave a message to Tony Iannotti. He did not, and I therefore assume that he has nothing to say to me. I think that is another part of this suppression thing that bothers me. Why threaten me through the OTO? Why doesn't the spineless wretch leave me a note about the issue when asked? Anyway, I'll come up with the other pseudonyms that he uses and post them here for your amusement, if I find the time. You may find him lurking on your boards too, sysops, so watch your liability where these litigious parasites are concerned. I expect libel action for my opinions of him. ;-) Here is an update on the sitiuation and a position paper from me. Dear Thelemites; Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Update time on the Falcon vs. OTO thing. I have yet to actually receive the official letter of suppression, but I gave BaphoNet's address to the OTO on the phone last night, and thereby heard that it is most certainly on the way. When I was younger, and a bit more enthusiastic, I sold many xeroxed copies of a number of typescripts of books of Crowley's, such as Liber Aleph, The Gospel According to St. Bernard Shaw, and Atlantis. I sold plain xeroces of the published editions of Olla, The Equinox of the Gods, and others. All of this was at cost, or less. (I paid for the gas from the Post Office to the copy shop and back to the Post Office....) They were not beautifully bound, nor wonderfully printed, and as such drew no adulation from the book collectors, in fact quite the opposite, but they were very popular with Students. I saw these last as a very important segment of our admittedly small population, and one that was not going to be served, or addressed by, the expensive but much more well produced (and out of print) editions of 93 Publishing, Duckworth, Weiser, Llewellyn, Level, Dove and others. My editions also had no appeal to those seeking those professional editions. They only went to those who could not afford, but still had need for, the public domain information otherwise inaccessible in the more valuable form. I see the files on BaphoNet as much the same thing. It's no longer a price difference, but a basic difference in use and function. The forms are not really comparable. While you may try to license a piece of software like a book, it is not, in fact, a book. And even if it could be considered such, what are the actual economics here? Despite those who would consider a lengthy long-distance call cheaper than buying the book, and thereby possibly making it less likely that a person would buy the book, there are entirely other issues here. The files are not replacements for books, and most constructively serve entirely other purposes. Printed books are much easier to read, for pages at a time, on paper than on a screen, but in electronic form they are far more easily searched. In book form, they are transportable to any place humans are, and although computers are at that portability now, the readability question is magnified, if I may.... In book form, they are an object of accruing value (assuming decent handling) while in electronic form, they are never valuable in a mercantile sense. (at least if they are in the public domain and people have public access, such as I am trying to provide.) In short, I do not see the impact of my file list on their bottom line, and it yanks my chain to have them dictate to me what to not have on my board, especially when they appear to be unwilling or unable to provide as good or complete information. Motta would have said, perhaps, that they are trying to rob the world of part of what they say their product is, so that their half-assed product will not suffer by comparison, let alone that they should be troubled to incorporate the missing material. But Motta is dead, and they are not, and the world isn't changed much either way, so far as I have seen in my short and foolish life. I am therefore boycotting their editions until such time as they show as much regard for the dissemination of information as they presently do for profit. (Jes' thought I'd warn other sysops too, Falcon seems a bit too litigious at the moment...) Love is the law, love under will. Antony Wm. Iannotti Sysop, Baphonet-by-the-Sea (718)499-0513 @ 14,400/9600/2400/300 baud (718)499-9277 @ 2400/1200/300 baud 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718