From: Michael Aquino Area: Base of Set To: All 1 Nov 94 20:24:44 Subject: "Satanic Ritual Abuse" Expose Study UpdReq STUDY CASTS DOUBT ON CLAIMS OF SATANIC RITUAL ABUSE - by Daniel Goleman, _New York Times_ _San Francisco Chronicle_, November 1, 1994, Page #A8 Tales of Satanic ritual abuse, with well-organized cults sacrificing animals and babies and engaging in sexual perversion and cannibalism, is the stuff of tabloid television. Now the first empirical study of its actual prevalence, based on information from district attorneys, social service workers, police officials and psychotherapists, suggests these tales are usually just that - figments of imagination. Although the survey found occasional cases of lone abusers who used ritualistic trappings, it found no substantiated reports of well-organized Satanic rings of people who sexually abuse children. In a survey of more than 11,000 psychiatric and police workers throughout the country, conducted for the National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect, researchers found more than 12,000 accusations of group cult sexual abuse based on Satanic ritual, but not one that investigators had been able to substantiate. The organizers of the survey say it is the first authoritative national survey on the subject. Accusations of molesting by cults have been made in thousands of cases over the last decade, and in retrospective claims by adult patients in psychotherapy who say they were abused as children. Combined with sensationalistic press coverage, these lawsuits and other reports have led many people to believe that there is a nationwide network of Satanic groups preying on the young. "After scouring the country, we found no evidence for large-scale cults that sexually abuse children," said Dr. Gail Goodman, a psychologist at the University of California at Davis who directed the survey. "Since the McMartin Preschool case there have been claims of ritualistic and sadistic child abuse in cases all over the country, and we've been concerned," said David Lloyd, Director of the National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect. "The survey was to see just how well-founded these concerns are - if these are just based on mistaken perceptions or there is some firm evidence." The survey included 6,910 psychiatrists, psychologists, and clinical social workers, and 4,655 district attorneys, police departments, and social service agencies. They reported 12,204 accusations of ritual abuse that they had investigated. The survey found that there was not a single case among them where there was clear corroborating evidence for the most common accusation, that there was "a well-organized intergenerational Satanic cult, who sexually molested and tortured children in their homes or schools for years and committed a series of murders," said Goodman. But Goodman said her group did find "convincing evidence of lone perpetrators or couples who say they are involved with Satan or use the claim to intimidate victims." She added that they "unearthed a few cases where there were confessions or photographs." One of the best-documented cases, reported by a district attorney in the South, involved four boys and a girl whose grandparents are accused of molesting them from age four into early adolescence; the case came to light when the children refused to visit their grandparents. "The grandparents had black robes, candles, and Christ on an inverted crucifix - and the children had chlamydia, a sexually-transmitted disease, in their throats," said Goodman, citing the district attorney's report. But the overall results show little or no support for the more extreme claims, Goodman said. "While you would not expect to find corroborating evidence in many sexual abuse cases, you would expect it when people claim the rituals involved murders, and the reported cases come from district attorneys or police," said Goodman. "If there is anyone out there with solid evidence of Satanic cult abuse of children, we would like to know about it," she said. There are, of course, people who will be unswayed by this new study because of their belief that abusive Satanic groups do exist but are successful at eluding detection despite the efforts of the authorities. Nonetheless previous, smaller studies done by the Michigan State Police, the Virginia Crime Commission, the Office of the Attorney General in Utah, and a study by the British government had similar findings. In Britain, for example, of 80 cases where extensive, ritualized abuse was alleged, no evidence of any organized group involvement was found, although in a handful of the cases lone child molesters used "black magic" or Satanic trappings to scare their victims. Many psychotherapists who have been vocal about a supposed epidemic of sexual abuse by well-organized Satanic rings have grown more cautious of late. "There's clearly been a contagion, a contamination of what people say in therapy because of what they see on TV or read about Satanic ritual abuse," said Dr. Bennet Braun, a psychiatrist who heads the Dissociative Disorders Unit at Rush-North Shore Medical Center in Chicago. Braun used to lecture on ritual Satanic abuse to psychotherapy groups, but stopped because of growing doubts of such abuse. Braun said that over the last decade he had treated more than 200 patients who claimed to have been childhood victims of ritual Satanic abuse. "In about 10 percent of cases I can document that it did not happen," said Braun. "And there's a significant percentage above that where I'm suspicious of the claims but have no proof. But then there's about 20 percent of cases where everything hangs together, and I'd have to say it probably happened but I couldn't prove it." Goodman contends that an atmosphere of hysteria has led to false claims that can have damaging consequences. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Dark Star Area: Base of Set To: Zbigniew Nitecki 3 Nov 94 22:17:22 Subject: Re: Two things.... UpdReq ZN> First...Did anyone else see a show called A&E Biography on Bram Stoker. ZN> It had a little interview with a TOS member. They were getting ZN> interviewed about the Order of the Vampyre. My girlfriend was watching ZN> it and saw that part come on...she rushed around trying to find a blank ZN> tape to record it. Unfortunately she missed the TOS part. When was it on, and can your girlfriend describe the TOS member? I know everyone in the Order of the Vampyre, and no one has mentioned it, which is strange. In fact, no one in the TOS has mentioned it, to my knowledge! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: .Nisaba Area: Base of Set To: Moderator 4 Nov 94 20:53:28 Subject: echo rules UpdReq * Message originally: From: .Nisaba To : Moderator Date: 04-11-94 Area: "AMATEUR_PSYCHOLOGY" * Forwarded by Vivienne West using RemoteAccess 2.02 Dear moderator, I'm upgrading my files areas, and I was wondering if you'd like to post a list of echo rules and/or suggestions for the benefit of my users, please. Thank you, .Nisaba, sysop, the Witches' Hovel; HairNet, PODSnet, Coastlink, OPEN, FIDO ... Beware the One True Way. That path leads only to the One True Mistake. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Whitefang Area: Base of Set To: All 5 Nov 94 19:47:00 Subject: Ed Weber UpdReq Is it true that Ed Weber, who claimed to be Anton La Vey's publicity agent and the one who had the idea for the Satanic Church, passed away? Does anyone know where or when? 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718