From: William Stafford Area: Base of Set To: Lord Soth 6 Aug 93 02:15:00 Subject: YOUR NAME UpdReq where did you get your name ? I sort-of suspect that you got it from the "DragonLance Chronicles" In which said character is a Solamnic Lord who commands a squad of undead Solamnic knights that died with their lord when he kidnapped a elven princess and she took her own life (I think) and revenging elven and solamnic knights burned the keep called Dargar Keep (I believe) and as a punishment as the princess died she cursed him to walk as an undead then later in undead life he and troop go into the mists of ravenloft right? 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Ali Katz Area: Base of Set To: Jonathan Corwin 5 Aug 93 01:45:00 Subject: Guns Rec'd UpdReq JC> Having just recently been checking the Base Of Set from the JC> beginning, I caught your message on guns. To wit, a sword "has more JC> poetry". Not so, according to one of those psychopaths who is a JC> friend of mine. He insists I write you a message suggesting you use JC> a rocket launcher, preferably a Light Anti-Tank Weapon (LAW rocket). Hmmm. Well, that's a bit outside my frame of reference, actually. I spent the better part of my adult life on fast attack submarines, so the heavy weapons I'm familiar with are MK 48 torpedoes, Harpoons, and various configurations of Tomahawk cruise missiles. The idea of personally portable mass destruction IS intriguing, though, at least from a theoretical standpoint, and trucking around with a LAWS or two admittedly makes little less sense than dragging around a Glock 17 with three full magazines. (In my view, anyhow. Then again, I've always felt that if a situation couldn't be handled with six shots, you'd damned well better have the capability of calling in an air strike. Hence, the theoretical applicability of the LAWS rocket -- sort of a do-it-yourself air strike in lieu of extra magazines.) However, in my state, civilians who carry weapons MUST carry concealed. That would call for one hell of a trench coat. JC> He prefers hands-on satisfaction, but when necessary and JC> outnumbered, a rocket launcher is the perfect anti-personnel weapon. JC> He also insists a rocket launcher will act more effectively as a JC> deterrent. Here's to the second amendment, cheerz and gunpowder! JC> >;D Actually, when I use the phrase "hands-on satisfaction," I'm not thinking of weapons . Finally, I can concede the poetic potential of the LAWS rocket. Nevertheless, while the sword still speaks in meticulously crafted skaldic verse, rocket launchers revel in haphazardly accented limericks. };)> Wassail, Ali Katz This copy of Freddie 1.2.5 is being evaluated. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Deep Black Area: Base of Set To: Ali Katz 6 Aug 93 18:44:00 Subject: Guns UpdReq AK> situation couldn't be handled with six shots, you'd damned well Like abortion, drugs, religion and a lot of other stuff, personal defense (particularly with firearms) is a touchy subject. It is also one which I have given some thought. At times, it is wise to be armed. Thankfully those times are few and far between for most people. However, deadly force is rare to have need of even in those generally infrequent situations requireing self defense. Capsicum/oleo spray is an incredibly effective way to do this without endangering life. With knives being the next step up, I feel the best first cut is across the forehead. This makes it almost impossible for the attacker to see while one beats a hasty retreat. It also is the least harmful. Of course, this movement is carried out as a complete blindside while (hopefully) distracting the agressor in some manner. Obviously there are endless controversies on this subject, but most of the time (if they are anything other than braggido and testosterone induced saber rattling) they are conducted by and useful only for professional warriors. BTW, I know you guys were just kidding around with your LAW's comments, etc. Weapons and their use do have a practical place in our individual "databases." 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718