From: Grendel Area: RPSTOVAL To: Darrin Hyrup 24 Sep 92 22:49:00 Subject: BBS Freedom of Speech UpdReq > I was recently on slopoke to pick up those font mentioned a few months > back, and was suprised to see all the magick related material up there. > Even a Thelema section, although that wasn't too long. nic.funet.fi > (over in finland) apparantly has a mirror of the magick directory from > slopoke, so we have a european distribution point as well. Glad to see > the Internet brethren are finally catching up. :) I would suggest, if you can, uploading any and all occult files you have. I am working on doing so. (I put 2 1/2 megs or more of Crowley books online). It is cheaper if you have access than calling long distance and once this stuff is on the net, it will always be at some site somewhere. I didn't know that nic.funet.fi had a mirror. Thad is cool. > Anyone else know good internet ftp sites to check for magick related > files? There is a Wiccan site as well. I don't remember where it is (I have it in my accounts). Wassail, Grendel 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Vere Chappell Area: RPSTOVAL To: Scott Brush 25 Sep 92 14:18:02 Subject: Re: DRUG USE IN MAGICK UpdReq 93 Bro' I prefer to think of drug use as a means to "explore the nature and powers of one's being", to aid in experiencing the range of human states of consciousness. By means of various substances one can learn a great deal about the workings of the mind, beyond just intellectual comprehension. But drugs are just an aid to accessing some aspects of mind; in themselves, or in the particular states they engender, there is no absolute solution to the questions of life. They merely provide a few keys of information about the whole. Ultimately the important question is whether your current habits and patterns of drug use are serving your True Will or not. The dangers of some drugs (like heroin, nicotene, caffeine) is that they are physiologically addicting, and effect lasting changes in the organism which are harmful -- probably not a part of most people's True Will. Other drugs such as marijuana and LSD are not physically addictive or harmful, but like all things which give pleasure and/or excitement to the mind, may be psychologically habit-forming. (You might call this addiction on the Yetziratic level, in the sense that patterns are set up and reinforced to the point where one desires to follow them the most). There is nothing inherently "bad" in this kind of addiction (or any other kind, I would go so far as to assert), as long as it does not interfere with your True Will. (emphasis on last clause). The answer to that question is something you must determine for yourself (which it sounds like you have) - and act accordingly. "Thou hast no right but to do thy will." You might also choose to take counsel with some of your trusted brothers and sisters, many of whom I know have dealt with similar problems themselves and gained some valuable experience. (I, for one, would be happy to talk to you privately some time about anything, if you wish...) I hope this is useful to you (& anyone else reading). Feedback? 93 93/93 Vere P.S. Have you tried other things or are you dissatisfied with only marijuana at this time? P.P.S. You may want to phrase statements about your experiences here in public (on the BBS) VERY CAREFULLY. After all, there is a WAR going on, and we can't be too careful now, can we? 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Scott Brush Area: RPSTOVAL To: Vere Chappell 26 Sep 92 00:40:54 Subject: Re: DRUG USE IN MAGICK UpdReq Dear brother: Your points are well taken. I suppose that what I was trying to imply was a sense of disillusionment, something I've been feeling quite a lot for the last few years. The counterculture and many magicians seem to glorify the use of drugs as the way to go, a great tool in self discovery. What I have found myself is that marijuana, one of the most popular and harmless drugs, bestowed nothing but illusion for me. This need not apply to anyone else, of course, but for me it's a letdown. Fortunately, there has never been any problem with psychological addiction to pot but it's a lot of fun despite it's tendency to get me lost in confusion and falsehood. It's my own fault, of course. I built myself up for years, thinking that this was a gateway to my inner truth. At least I've discovered the truth of the matter. I wish to make it clear that these remarks apply only to pot. I have not experimented with other drugs and have nothing to say about them. The one conclusion I've reached is a suspicion that only true adepts can utilize drugs (and sex for that matter) for meaningful spiritual attainment and self discovery. Any level of control short of the adept level will doom whatever experiences are gained from such practice to some state of self delusion. It is evident that most of Crowley's writings and rituals were particularly aimed at A.A. level adepts and is appropriate only for their use. Those not so spiritually enlightened are only headed for a fall in following such advanced work. I've no doubt that many magicians would agree with me but then I didn't believe it until life showed me just how much I'd been deluding myself. It's a hard thing to face. You, my brother, may come to learn this soon. Love, Scott. 93. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718