From: Jonathon Blake Area: RPSTOVAL To: Gerald Del Campo 29 Aug 92 08:29:20 Subject: BBS Freedom of Speech UpdReq quoting GERALD DEL CAMPO To: PHIL HANSFORD ___------------------------------------------------------------------------ stop & read the electronic mail security act of 1986 sometime. and then read the subsequent legislation GDC}>Would you deny access on your BBS for users who cannot GDC}>leave factual information because their involvement in an GDC}>occult BBS might jepordize say a government job? when an individual obtains a job with the government that requires a very high security clearance, he/she is given very spefic and detailed instructions on how to handle such things as applying for credit cards, loans and other such things where employers name, address, their position & phone numbers they can be reached at. these instruction also include how to be listed in phone books, city directories & the like. if i have a caller who can't answer my questions, in accordance with the guidelines s/he was given, then no, they would not gain acces to my board. << actually all i ask for is name, address phone number & magickal interests/affiliations & what they << the user >> would like to see on the board. << if you want to call my board do so -- 404-814-0363 : the turtle shell >> if you are refering to individuals in government positions, or elsewhere, who feel that disclosure of their use on an occult orientated bbs would jepordize their jobs, i keep callers responses confidential. I also keep them encrypted. << i have yet to see a search warrent that can demand something be turned over, which is not specified on the list --- other than blanket warrents, which are probably unconstitutional, but incredibly difficult to fight >> one other thing: i have a problem with people who can not give or leave factual information -- even if it is only factual in their view. i don't trust them. call it a slight prejudice of mine, but i think honesty is a trait that should be more evident in society than it actually is 93 jonathon * SLMR 2.1a * why arbitrate when you can litigate? 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Gerald Del Campo Area: RPSTOVAL To: Chris Feldman 30 Aug 92 20:17:38 Subject: Re: BBS LIBERTY UpdReq In a message dated 23 Aug 92 15:01:50, Chris Feldman wrote: 93, Chris, CF> For the Gods' sakes, don't let this guy get started with his crap CF> here. He's been spreading this stuff onto all the echos he could, all CF> because he was twitted by a sysop for violating basic procudures. Now CF> he's going around yelling Fire just so he can snivel when he gets CF> busted for it. (Metaphorically speaking) At least Tim was CF> intelligent. I'll give you 61-to-1 odds that this bozo can't talk CF> about anything on topic, other than whimpering about censorship where CF> there hasn't been any. Don't worry. I understand the problem. I just wanted the whole thing out in the open. I know that some sysops can be abrasive... some will even twit you without explaining or talking to the offender about it. Love is the Law. Gerald ... RPSTOVAL Oasis: Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Gerald Del Campo Area: RPSTOVAL To: Jonathon Blake 30 Aug 92 20:21:38 Subject: Re: BBS Freedom of Speech UpdReq In a message dated 29 Aug 92 08:29:20, Jonathon Blake wrote: Howdy Jon! JB> stop & read the electronic mail security act of 1986 JB> sometime. and then read the subsequent legislation Is it available in ascii? GDC}>Would you deny access on your BBS for users who cannot GDC}>leave factual information because their involvement in an GDC}>occult BBS might jepordize say a government job? JB> when an individual obtains a job with the government JB> that requires a very high security clearance, he/she is JB> given very spefic and detailed instructions on how to JB> handle such things as applying for credit cards, loans JB> and other such things where employers name, address, JB> their position & phone numbers they can be reached at. JB> these instruction also include how to be listed in phone JB> books, city directories & the like. if i have a caller JB> who can't answer my questions, in accordance with the JB> guidelines s/he was given, then no, they would not gain JB> acces to my board. << actually all i ask for is name, JB> address phone number & magickal interests/affiliations & JB> what they << the user >> would like to see on the board. JB> << if you want to call my board do so -- 404-814-0363 : JB> the turtle shell >> This is true only to the extent that SOME people are incourage to bullshit BBS and other free speech avenues. Some people, on the other hand, could loose their jobs if their governmental employees found out they had any occult interest what-so-ever. Where is (404)? JB> if you are refering to individuals in government JB> positions, or elsewhere, who feel that disclosure of JB> their use on an occult orientated bbs would jepordize JB> their jobs, i keep callers responses confidential. JB> I also keep them encrypted. Again, like I mentioned to Phil, how do THEY know YOU are not some government funded BBS who wants names and addresses. The trust thing has to go both ways. JB> one other thing: i have a problem with people who can JB> not give or leave factual information -- even if it is JB> only factual in their view. i don't trust them. JB> call it a slight prejudice of mine, but i think honesty JB> is a trait that should be more evident in society than JB> it actually is I agree that we need more truth and integrety in society. It is the mistrust perpetuated by 'the powers that be' that sometimes makes it difficult to tell the truth in the first place. Love is the Law. Gerald ... RPSTOVAL Oasis: Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718