From: Jeffrey Bloss Area: Public Key Encryption To: Doug Muth 15 Mar 95 20:57:00 Subject: Re: Poker? UpdReq -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- DM>> JB> I had a thought yesterday... second one this month. DM>> Congrats, you just beat the NSA's record! :-) I beat it with the first thought. DM>> JB> Would anyone be interested in somehow working out a "mental-poker" DM>> What exactly would we be using for the "cards"? Just blocks of rando DM>> text? Well... I was thinking the dealer could create 52 text (or ANSI) files, one for each card. Of course each of the files should have the name or picture of the card in it. :) The dealer could put each file through a one way hashing function and post the results in a message. It might look something like this... CARD 1: 590222d5aa758e9554cee51050151904 CARD 2: c2e4f192953e0def414dede22e7dd263 [...] CARD 52: d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e What I'd like to use though, is a PGP signature for each card... it would eliminate a step later, and keep the game a little more on topic. ;) Anyway, the message would go to player 1, who would pick five cards at random and send the rest in a message to player two. Player two picks five and sends the rest to the next player. The last player (not including the dealer) picks five for him/her self and five for the dealer. What we have now is a group of people holding "cards" they've never seen. Somehow we have to figure a way for the players to pick cards without the dealer seeing the picks and a way to tell each player their cards, without the others finding out in advance. This is USUALLY done by encrypting messages, but I'm trying to think of a way to do it with either PGP signatures or MD5 hash values and some tricky "index" type messages. It may not be possible to implement. :( Everything i have been able to come up with so far relies heavily on the honesty of the dealer. I'd like to have a protocol that keeps the dealer blind to the other's cards until it's time to "call". :) DM>> JB> Maybe even a bit of a learning tool. I think cheating, and trying to DM>> JB> "beat" the protocol would be a GOOD thing in this case. DM>> JB> Thoughts...? DM>> Ooohh, the gov't won't be happy. Now we can gamble and they won't kn Good point. :) I'll have to figure a way to include digitally signed e-dollars into the protocol. Hmmmm... If everyone wants to send me say... $500 to open an account I'll send them back a bunch of signed messages. And if people don't pay their e-gambling debts, I'll send the "Guido-virus" after them... it breaks the rubber feet on the bottom of their PC cases. DM>> about it!! Seriosuly, the idea sounds interesting, is there a way t DM>> an Internet sever could be setup to do this? We could have lots of fun t DM>> way! Hey, that's a thought too. It might even be easier to work out the protocol if we could toss in an "impartial" digital dealer. Theoretically I suppose, the "dealer's" actions (and the identity of the cards) could be kept secret even from the person who owned the host machine. Might be a bit of a coding nightmare trying to keep the program's data files encoded without the operator being able to see them at some time during the course of the game. But I can see some possibilities. :) You know, this would be a REAL good "gimic" to add to a mail reader that had built-in PGP support. :) Know anyone that's coding one? -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: -=[ Privacy Through Random Acts Of Encryption ]=- iQCVAwUBL2ea4ukStfMM4BMZAQFPZAP/Zpc2q/MQeNEKxAZecetZIIYq0TyZkDWI cngX2PjbJz15/ZFl8Eivae8k6h13fQv30MoLRuTQ8rTdPp1Uu4dZC8iU92WEkU9G ihoDwclkJz1SDFtkQ7Qo/EmmHtCrvalN50r9Mh7oVlN4liO2roo1NuOFj8y6qVqy gabW4tvMsKQ= =UsUu -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- jbloss@meadville.com -=- 1:2601/551.0 -=- ->5317 PGP v2.6.2 public encryption key available by request. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Jeffrey Bloss Area: Public Key Encryption To: Basil Hoyl 15 Mar 95 21:02:00 Subject: Poker? UpdReq -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- BH>> TRUST THE DEALER???? Really, Jeffrey, this is a conference where nobody BH>> trusts anybody! But that's the trick see... using PGP signatures or some other hash values to keep the dealer honest. :) That's the whole point of the exercise. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: -=[ Privacy Through Random Acts Of Encryption ]=- iQCVAwUBL2ecEukStfMM4BMZAQFnvgP8DkqIfarUSDlksnHuxB7Thtz91/6Ff56k eCXt8ZaMD27/X6CWiTAkv7tis4W+H3wFAH0UoJADIJMWKWBQTz2l0yfQpq17CxJq 0SJ9lhV+ap1eRdm5CCNWKudAT0gxIwnwblKylNhSFgwPZGXfFaRCXHeRv2ojyZdB yXFy47bWpFI= =zsvn -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- jbloss@meadville.com -=- 1:2601/551.0 -=- ->5317 PGP v2.6.2 public encryption key available by request. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Dave Macpheat Area: Public Key Encryption To: Barbara Mcnay 16 Mar 95 16:23:34 Subject: Re: Encryption UpdReq * Original Message Posted via MENSANS_ONLY * Date: 15 Mar 95 08:46:49 * From: Dave Macpheat @ 1:380/7 * To: Barbara Mcnay * Forwarded by: Christopher Baker @ 1:374/14 * Message text was not edited! @EID:6398 2f66efdd Barbara McNay posted the following to me on March 13, 1995 ... > The text below contains a coded message. It is not > PGP encrypted! > Can you tell me what it says? >>NI_x`aCSrvT:Z>NI_x`aCSrvT:Z>NI_x`aCSrvT:Z>NI_x`aCSrvT:Z>NI_x`aCSrvT:Z > +6\i.LGy9$>AWk+6\i.LGy9$ BM> I thought it looked like uuencoded material, but when I ran it BM> through the decoder, I got something that looked like archived BM> material, which the archive lister RV didn't recognize. Was BM> that the entire message? Yes, that was the complete message. It is not an archived message . I posted a hint to Frits yesterday. If you didn't see it or would like another hint, let me know. -Dave -- Opus-CBCS 1.73a @ Origin: Dan's Den - Shreveport LA - 318-424-9260 (1:380/7.0) *PATH: 380/7 374/14 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Jerome Greene Area: Public Key Encryption To: Peter Bradie 17 Mar 95 02:56:54 Subject: Re: Bluewave & PGP UpdReq -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- - ->Did you hear Peter Bradie to Jerome Greene about Bluewave & PGP <- Hi Peter! JG> I use EZPGP which is freeware, it does what I want it to do, post my JG> key(s) and sign my messages. PB> And then there's PGP Blue which is shareware written specificly to PB> work with BlueWave and PGP. Only had the program up and running a few PB> days, but I'll have this baby registered in short order. I know it's a good program, just a few features, I didn't really need. Bells and whistles you know. :-) PB> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 ^^^^ BTW this version is quite old. 2.12 fixes a lot of problems with QWK processing. Regards, -= Jerome Greene =- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 iQCVAwUBL2lOuHF52VfebiBFAQF6mgP+NZa2sC/QrHCbUFKtmbOlgSZxiOAT/5/B ytZRwqCzfrocYHpRJZs6i8sIn+Ap3qcqLJzITXUPkFzGynL8738vRd0wLIagtKo0 aXXcY7VWFI4pCb80APl1mryBcghbeRhMYb8KSxs2Ww+K74uf8QNHOQDSOjZa9jUh h7d8KhYFcEs= =S8nR -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- **EZ-PGP v1.07 ... Machines to save our lives... machines dehumanize. ___Messenger 1.2a [Reg] 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: slowdog@wookie.net Area: Public Key Encryption To: All 17 Mar 95 07:37:54 Subject: Re: Senator Leahy weighs in AGAINST S.314UpdReq * Original Message Posted via CYPHERPUNKS * Date: 16 Mar 95 10:16:16 * From: slowdog@wookie.net @ 1:102/825 * To: All * Forwarded by: Christopher Baker @ 1:374/14 * Message text was not edited! @MSGID: mid__Pine.LNX.3.91.950316231558.16776C-100000@chewy.wookie.net 59d60001 @REPLYTO 1:102/825 UUCP @REPLYADDR slowdog@wookie.net @PID GIGO+ sn 154 at borderlin vsn 0.99.950303 @Sender: quake!toad.com!owner-cypherpunks @Received: from relay4.UU.NET by netcomsv.netcom.com with ESMTP (8.6.9/SMI-4.1) @ id UAA04272; Thu, 16 Mar 1995 20:26:58 -0800 @Received: from toad.com by relay4.UU.NET with SMTP @ id QQyhkb16812; Thu, 16 Mar 1995 23:19:55 -0500 @Received: by toad.com id AA00979; Thu, 16 Mar 95 20:14:56 PST @Received: from chewy.wookie.net by toad.com id AA00973; Thu, 16 Mar 95 20:14: 50 PST @Received: (from slowdog@localhost) by chewy.wookie.net (8.6.10/8.6.10) id XAA16806; Thu, 16 Mar 1995 23:16:17 -0500 Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 23:16:16 -0500 (EST) From: slowdog @To: cypherpunks @Subject: Senator Leahy weighs in AGAINST S.314 Message-Id: @Mime-Version: 1.0 @Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII @Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com @Precedence: bulk ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ****** ******** ************* ******** ********* ************* ** ** ** *** POLICY POST ** ** ** *** ** ** ** *** March 16, 1995 ** ** ** *** Number 4 ******** ********* *** ****** ******** *** CENTER FOR DEMOCRACY AND TECHNOLOGY ------------------------------------------------------------------------ A briefing on public policy issues affecting civil liberties online ------------------------------------------------------------------------ CDT POLICY POST 3/16/95 Number 4 CONTENTS: (1) Senator Leahy asks CDT led coalition to explore alternatives to Communications Decency Act (S. 314) (2) What you can do to help stop S. 314 (3) About the Center For Democracy and Technology This document may be re-distributed freely providing it remains in its entirety. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SENATOR LEAHY ASKS CDT LED COALITION TO EXPLORE ALTERNATIVES TO S. 314 Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), a strong proponent of civil liberties and the development of new communications technologies,has raised serious concerns about the Communications Decency Act (S. 314). In a letter to CDT Executive Director Jerry Berman and the Interactive Working Group, Senator Leahy stated that "The proposed legislative solutions . . . raise serious concerns about the free flow of information in new communications media, threaten to squelch the development of the Internet and a vital new industry along with it." Senator Leahy has asked the Interactive Working Group (a coalition of public interest organizations, members of the computer and communications industry, and associations representing librarians and the press, chaired by the Center For Democracy and Technology) to "explore alternatives that balance constitutional liberties, competitiveness, and the legitimate interest of protecting children from accessing controversial content." The letter is attached below. Leahy's efforts to explore alternatives to S. 314 come at an important time in this debate over S. 314. The Senate Commerce Committee may still incorporate S. 314 into telecommunications reform legislation, expected to be introduced as early next Monday (3/20). It is critical that you contact Commerce Committee Chairman Pressler (R- SD), Senator Packwood (R-OR), Senator Hollings (D-SC), and your own Senators and urge them to: * Take S. 314 off the fast track, * Keep S. 314 out of the Senate telecommunications reform legislation, and, * Support Senator Leahy's effort to explore alternatives that are consistent with the First Amendment and the free flow of information. For more information on how to contact members of congress, send email to the Voter's Telecommunications Watch . While you are at it, you might send a note of thanks to Senator Leahy for his efforts on behalf of free speech and the free flow of information in cyberspace. He can be reached by email at The Center for Democracy and members of the Interactive Working Group are grateful to Senator Leahy for his leadership on this issue and his willingness to explore the implications of government efforts to impose content regulations on interactive media. SENATOR LEAHY'S LETTER TO INTERACTIVE WORKING GROUP --------------------------------------------------- March 15, 1995 Mr. Jerry Berman Interactive Working Group Center for Democracy and Technology 1001 G St., NW Suite 700 East Washington, DC 20001 Dear Mr. Berman: Interactive communications media are growing at an astonishing rate, promising great advances for domestic commerce, international competitiveness, and political and cultural life. Nearly ten years ago, we began work on the Electronic Communications Privacy Act ("ECPA"), in recognition of the fact that new computer and communications technologies would only flourish in an environment where the privacy rights of users, the intellectual property rights of content providers, and the obligations of service providers are clear under statute. We continued that work last year in the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act ("CALEA"). Today, as interactive communications systems expand in the consumer market, there is a critical need to clarify the First Amendment rights and responsibilities of information providers, users and carriers. As you know, a number of bills have been introduced in the Senate that would regulate a wide range of controversial content on interactive information services, including the Internet. This legislation is motivated by two important goals. First, parents should be able to control their children's access to controversial material. Second, adult users should be able to exercise reasonable control over the information they receive so they may avoid material offense to them. The proposed legislative solutions to achieve these goals raise serious concerns about the free flow of information in new communications media, and threaten to squelch the development of the Internet and a vital new industry along with it. I understand that industry and public interest organizations have independently come together to form the Interactive Working Group in order to address these issues. My hope is that the group will explore public policy and technology options for addressing the problems of children's access to obscene content in a manner which promotes parental empowerment and First Amendment values. I would appreciate the Interactive Working group Consideration of and recommendation on the following issues: 1. THE NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE: What effect will content regulation have on the development of the national and global information infrastructure, including the Internet and other interactive services? 2. CURRENT LAW AND ENFORCEMENT EFFORTS: What is the current law regulating obscenity and harassment online? What gaps, if any, are there in current federal and state laws which hamper prosecution of criminal activity, including violations of the copyright and obscenity laws, in interactive media? 3. TECHNOLOGICAL SOLUTIONS: Does interactive technology enable parents to control their children's access to information in online services today? If not, what steps would be required to enable such parental control? Can the Working Group provide demonstrations of these user control technologies? 4. CONSTITUTIONAL FREE SPEECH AND PRIVACY ISSUES: What are the First Amendment implications of content regulation in interactive media? What is the impact of carrier liability for content on ECPA , CALEA and constitutional privacy protections? Since the passage of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, and again in CALEA, we have always worked to assure a proper balance of constitutional liberties, competitiveness and legitimate government interest in the regulation of new communications technologies. As I receive input from a number of sources on these important issues, I look forward to your advice as well. My staff is available to meet with members of your group to discuss these issues further. Sincerely, [sig] Patrick J. Leahy United States Senator ---------------------------------------------------------------- FOR MORE INFORMATION ON S. 314 AND WHAT YOU CAN DO * HELP STOP S.314 Send a letter or call your Senator! For information on how you can help, send a message to * DOCUMENTS CDT's analysis of S. 314 and the text of the bill can be obtained at the Voters Telecommunications Watch (VTW) archive: WWW URL: gopher://gopher.panix.com/11/vtw/exon Gopher command : gopher -p 1/vtw/exon gopher.panix.com You can also obtain information by sending a message to --------------------------------------------------------------------- ABOUT THE CENTER FOR DEMOCRACY AND TECHNOLOGY The Center for Democracy and Technology is a non-profit public interest organization. The Center's mission is to develop and advocate public policies that advance constitutional civil liberties and democratic values in new computer and communications technologies. Contacting us: General information on CDT can be obtained by sending mail to www/ftp/gopher archives are currently under construction, and should be up and running by the middle of March. Preserve, Protect, and Defend the Internet! http://www.phantom.com/~slowdog/ alt.defeat.s314 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718