From: jason carr Area: Public Key Encryption To: Brian McMurry 16 Oct 94 10:56:42 Subject: Re: PGP Signatures UpdReq -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Brian McMurry wrote in a message to Jason Carr: JC> Jeez Louise, how many recipients were encoded in there? I regularly JC> encrypt to 6-7 people and my msgs are not noticeably longer. BM> All of the Fido people on my keyring -- I'd guess about 50. BM> (Yes, I had to write a script to do it for me.) Can you elaborate about this script? Mebbe even post it? I'm interested in how others solve interesting PGP situations. jason ... Do not puncture or incinerate. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.61 Comment: PGP_ECHO: Encryption, sigs, and fun in D-FtW... iQCVAwUBLqFpoUjhGzlN9lCZAQFMwQP/YEDJDyR/h0H+nXoUrVLH5wJcN0oVnEEH 4P5iBjJaGNjtwk9xvnn/DGhjC3C3HO3h2zWtNhkvbbz8FjOjWA+MN9yUW/VE4BRA 1m2Z21GRLoXAuPJ377HBOvOumn3qvVHH9CVzMILbFmieroXvlNkHI5xpK1VhxgVY B65EoP9F4gA= =9tkg -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Jerome Greene Area: Public Key Encryption To: David McIntyre 15 Oct 94 15:49:58 Subject: Re: Which PGP version is best? UpdReq -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- - -=>David was heard talking about Which PGP version is best? - -=>on 12 Oct 94 06:03:25 <=- Hi David! DM> which DM> version will allow the most people to decrypt my messages? Last Anything later than 2.6 DM> question is, what is the best format to use as my ID/address if I don't DM> have an internet address? I considered using David McIntyre DM> (my normal alias). Most people in the key distribution have internet DM> addresses, so I don't have an example to work with. DM> ! Origin: Center of the Cosmos (1:3625/441) ^^^^^^^^^^ Sure you have an internet address it is You could also set it up like this David McIntyre <1:3625/441@fidonet.org> Either way you are identified as being at that address. Just examples in any case. Jerome Greene -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.1 Comment: F x S = K The product of freedom and security is a contant. iQCVAwUBLqBApXF52VfebiBFAQGI+wQArDtTvblvaa+ckblAW8hwDGkN7BteSnRG AvnfKPUNOeVLoWkh0Tt+MRH8heV7irPzOp2QMt0QATI5YNqUs/an0ea43oWELwnk chxwKIj5IEs/eAI9QYcrmcESCWGf8JE/uLsXsFNQWz7NWreYWy1iZlxXYH5rGGW8 +gyjsLaE8Cw= =+FBk -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- **EZ-PGP v1.07 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Wes Landaker Area: Public Key Encryption To: Brad Stiles 15 Oct 94 14:38:22 Subject: New To Pgp UpdReq -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hello Brad! 13 Oct 94 19:15, Brad Stiles wrote to Wes Landaker: WL> (out of GOLDKEYS.CFG) WL> F12 ExternUtil03 WL> So I just press F12 to decrypt. =) You can set it to WL> whatever you want, of course. BS> Well, duh! Maybe if I read the docs a little more carefully, BS> huh? Thanks. Sure thing! Hope it works for ya. =) WL> REXX command script that handles everything for me under WL> OS/2, and gives me the choices of encrypting to multiple WL> people, etc. =) Nothing you can't do under DOS, though. :) WL> If you're interested, I can send it to ya, or post it here. WL> =) BS> Unfortunately, I'm not running OS/2 right now, but if you'd BS> still care to send it, I'd appreciate it. I'll file it away in BS> the "future" file. Thanks. I think I'm going to do a little more work on it, then just post it in here. Right now it's got most of it's functionality, it just doesn't look very nice (way too many /* */ lines and debugging stuff all around. ;) WL> Oh, also: check out the EDITSAVEUTIL function. I have PGP WL> Sign and PGP Encrypt right on my save menu, so I never have WL> to exit GoldED at all. =) BS> That's where I've got those as well. I just never paid BS> enough attention to connect the two. That's what I get for BS> letting other folks do the work and just patching it in, eh? At least you can get it working now, eh? =) wjl [Team OS/2] * New: 1:202/322@fidonet.org ! Old: 1:202/1822@fidonet.org ! * wjl@f322.n202.z1.fidonet.org * PGP Key: AD2254A5 * FREQ: PGPKEY * -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.61 iQCVAwUBLqBL2MlPrmStIlSlAQHtmAP+Ly5jiUc1Upji7NaL0D7DEP/hKD54wunq pteTKa3N2RF6OyuXS8AZ62PuNoh/XB9KAjTWmbGXqZv7wI9syFkc1g6M/OsOM+Cl vaEKExz8rxL8v12MKiLJH46ZZPxdnwFl5rnUAxxqTo80aKRCaOU+FMKLlK8RZV4d IIXW8E38Mr4= =6VRS -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: David Rye Area: Public Key Encryption To: Wes Landaker 15 Oct 94 16:29:56 Subject: New To Pgp UpdReq Hello Wes... Tuesday October 11 1994, Wes Landaker wrote to Brad Stiles: WL> Of course, I run it a bit differently, as I have written a fairly WL> complex REXX command script that handles everything for me under OS/2, WL> and gives me the choices of encrypting to multiple people, etc. =) WL> Nothing you can't do under DOS, though. :) If you're interested, I can WL> send it to ya, or post it here. =) I would be interested in seeing it. L8er Dave ... Women should be obscene and not heard. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ross Lonstein Area: Public Key Encryption To: Mike Riddle 16 Oct 94 12:47:00 Subject: Re: RC4 Revealed! UpdReq Ok. I stand corrected. I thought RC4 had been circulated previously for testing. Thanks. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rich Veraa Area: Public Key Encryption To: jason carr 15 Oct 94 07:19:44 Subject: New To Pgp UpdReq following up a message from Wes Landaker to Casey Cady: CC> @PID: timEd 1.00 WL> Doesn't timEd have the capability to run anything external, WL> like a spellchecker? If so, then you don't need to exit your Here's how I do it. It's a little sloppy now, but it works and may give you some ideas. @ECHO OFF cls :: ----------------------------------------------------- :: CALLQ.BAT, a way to make timEd call PGP for encryption, :: decryption, clearsigning, and viewing. jason carr 1:124/3208 :: This .bat requires the following: :: 1) Dos 6.XX, b/c of the CHOICE command, or GET or something :: 2) TILDE, a file with two tildes in it :: 3) TEARLINE, like so, named differently for each network :: ===TEARLINE=== :: --- pgp .bat :: * Origin: FREQ JASONKEY.ASC 214.650.0382 (1:124/3208) :: ============== :: 4) The "editor" defined in timed.cfg must call this .bat :: "Editor d:\squish\callq.bat" :: 5) If PGP is invoked for a given msg, it must first be (W)ritten :: as TIMED.PGP in the directory where timEd is. This can be made :: the default in TIMED.CFG by using, for example: :: "WriteName d:\squish\timed.pgp" :: ----------------------------------------------------- :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Sets echo respondents in one variable (multiple recipients) :: 4df65099=me! :: 79410d5d=ls :: 98cbe9bd=th :: 01dd44a9=dh :: 08c756dd=ak :: ------------------------------------------------------------- set echo=0x4df6 0x7941 0x98cb 0x01dd 0x08c7 :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Needs to know whether to look for TIMED.PGP or TIMED.MSG :: because TIMED.MSG has indented quotes that choke PGP :: ------------------------------------------------------------- if exist timed.pgp goto unpack goto edit :view :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Simply views the signed or encrypted msg, and returns to timEd. :: Msg reply is aborted. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- if not exist timed.pgp goto duhhh pgp -m timed.pgp pause del timed.pgp del timed.msg goto end :unpack if not exist timed.pgp goto duhhh del timed.msg pgp timed.pgp -o timed.msg :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: If the decrypt fails (sig or post), CALLQ goes to edit it :: TIMED.MSG, as the sig could've just gotten grunged. Of course, :: if you can't decrypt an encrypted post, this .bat won't do you :: any good, anyhow. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- if errorlevel 1 goto fail goto edit :fail cls echo PGP sig failed! Returning to original msg. pause goto edit :edit :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: TIMETAG is a tagline util written by Richard Coffee. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- if exist timed.pgp goto edit2 timedtag d:\fd\tag /l25 if errorlevel 1 pause :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Actual editing happens here. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :edit2 q.exe timed.msg cls :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Poor Speller? :: ------------------------------------------------------------- get c "Spellcheck?" yn if "%get%" == "N" goto pgptest if "%get%" == "Y" goto spell :spell d:\spell\ss timed.msg :pgptest :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Ahhh, the goodies! :: The [e] choice invokes the %echo% environmental variable :: ------------------------------------------------------------- cls echo C == Clearsign echo E == encrypt to the trusted participants in pgp_Echo echo N == No pgp echo Y == encrypt - specifY user id or key id when prompted echo. get c "Choice? " ynec if "%get%" == "C" goto sign if "%get%" == "E" goto group if "%get%" == "N" goto end if "%get%" == "Y" goto show :show :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Displays keys on keyring, in case you can't remember. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- cls pgp -kvm :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Radix-64 encryption :: ------------------------------------------------------------- pgp timed.msg -ea -o timed.msg goto switch :sign :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: I can't seem to get the -o switch to work while clearsigning, :: hence all the file renaming excitement. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- pgp -sta +clearsig=on timed.msg del timed.msg ren timed.asc timed.msg del timed.asc goto switch :group :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: This will encrypt the msg with all the hex IDs in %ECHO% :: ------------------------------------------------------------- pgp timed.msg %echo% -ea -o timed.msg goto switch :switch :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Now THIS is where it gets weird. TimEd puts the origin and tear :: in the post =before= you edit, so if you encrypt it'll be :: hidden. TEARLINE contains a tearline (surprise) and an origin. :: tilde contains two consecutive tildes, or timEd will wrap your :: block and decrypt/sig-verification will fail. :: :: You can go straight to :fido if you are not running PGP in any :: othernets :: ------------------------------------------------------------- cls get c "{F}ido {D}hy or {C}IA origin?" fdc if "%get%" == "C" goto cia if "%get%" == "D" goto dhy if "%get%" == "F" goto fido :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Appends CIA origin :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :cia copy tilde + timed.msg + tearline.cia + tilde fini del timed.msg ren fini timed.msg goto end :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Appends DhY origin :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :dhy copy tilde + timed.msg + tearline.dhy + tilde fini del timed.msg ren fini timed.msg goto end :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Appends Fido origin :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :fido copy tilde + timed.msg + tearline + tilde fini del timed.msg ren fini timed.msg goto end :duhhh :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Duhhhhhh.... Forgot to save the non-quoted ver. No problem, :: will just recycle back to timEd so you can try again. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- cls echo. echo You forgot to (W)rite timEd.pgp!!! echo. pause goto end :end if exist *.bak del *.bak if exist Timed.pgp del timed.pgp if exist timed.asc del timed.asc set echo= :: Have a beer. jason ... There are some who call me . . . Tim . . . 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rich Veraa Area: Public Key Encryption To: jason carr 15 Oct 94 07:23:00 Subject: New To Pgp UpdReq following up a message from Wes Landaker to Casey Cady: CC> @PID: timEd 1.00 WL> Doesn't timEd have the capability to run anything external, WL> like a spellchecker? If so, then you don't need to exit your Here's how I do it. It's a little sloppy now, but it works and may give you some ideas. @ECHO OFF cls :: ----------------------------------------------------- :: CALLQ.BAT, a way to make timEd call PGP for encryption, :: decryption, clearsigning, and viewing. jason carr 1:124/3208 :: This .bat requires the following: :: 1) Dos 6.XX, b/c of the CHOICE command, or GET or something :: 2) TILDE, a file with two tildes in it :: 3) TEARLINE, like so, named differently for each network :: ===TEARLINE=== :: --- pgp .bat :: * Origin: FREQ JASONKEY.ASC 214.650.0382 (1:124/3208) :: ============== :: 4) The "editor" defined in timed.cfg must call this .bat :: "Editor d:\squish\callq.bat" :: 5) If PGP is invoked for a given msg, it must first be (W)ritten :: as TIMED.PGP in the directory where timEd is. This can be made :: the default in TIMED.CFG by using, for example: :: "WriteName d:\squish\timed.pgp" :: ----------------------------------------------------- :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Sets echo respondents in one variable (multiple recipients) :: 4df65099=me! :: 79410d5d=ls :: 98cbe9bd=th :: 01dd44a9=dh :: 08c756dd=ak :: ------------------------------------------------------------- set echo=0x4df6 0x7941 0x98cb 0x01dd 0x08c7 :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Needs to know whether to look for TIMED.PGP or TIMED.MSG :: because TIMED.MSG has indented quotes that choke PGP :: ------------------------------------------------------------- if exist timed.pgp goto unpack goto edit :view :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Simply views the signed or encrypted msg, and returns to timEd. :: Msg reply is aborted. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- if not exist timed.pgp goto duhhh pgp -m timed.pgp pause del timed.pgp del timed.msg goto end :unpack if not exist timed.pgp goto duhhh del timed.msg pgp timed.pgp -o timed.msg :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: If the decrypt fails (sig or post), CALLQ goes to edit it :: TIMED.MSG, as the sig could've just gotten grunged. Of course, :: if you can't decrypt an encrypted post, this .bat won't do you :: any good, anyhow. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- if errorlevel 1 goto fail goto edit :fail cls echo PGP sig failed! Returning to original msg. pause goto edit :edit :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: TIMETAG is a tagline util written by Richard Coffee. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- if exist timed.pgp goto edit2 timedtag d:\fd\tag /l25 if errorlevel 1 pause :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Actual editing happens here. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :edit2 q.exe timed.msg cls :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Poor Speller? :: ------------------------------------------------------------- get c "Spellcheck?" yn if "%get%" == "N" goto pgptest if "%get%" == "Y" goto spell :spell d:\spell\ss timed.msg :pgptest :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Ahhh, the goodies! :: The [e] choice invokes the %echo% environmental variable :: ------------------------------------------------------------- cls echo C == Clearsign echo E == encrypt to the trusted participants in pgp_Echo echo N == No pgp echo Y == encrypt - specifY user id or key id when prompted echo. get c "Choice? " ynec if "%get%" == "C" goto sign if "%get%" == "E" goto group if "%get%" == "N" goto end if "%get%" == "Y" goto show :show :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Displays keys on keyring, in case you can't remember. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- cls pgp -kvm :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Radix-64 encryption :: ------------------------------------------------------------- pgp timed.msg -ea -o timed.msg goto switch :sign :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: I can't seem to get the -o switch to work while clearsigning, :: hence all the file renaming excitement. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- pgp -sta +clearsig=on timed.msg del timed.msg ren timed.asc timed.msg del timed.asc goto switch :group :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: This will encrypt the msg with all the hex IDs in %ECHO% :: ------------------------------------------------------------- pgp timed.msg %echo% -ea -o timed.msg goto switch :switch :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Now THIS is where it gets weird. TimEd puts the origin and tear :: in the post =before= you edit, so if you encrypt it'll be :: hidden. TEARLINE contains a tearline (surprise) and an origin. :: tilde contains two consecutive tildes, or timEd will wrap your :: block and decrypt/sig-verification will fail. :: :: You can go straight to :fido if you are not running PGP in any :: othernets :: ------------------------------------------------------------- cls get c "{F}ido {D}hy or {C}IA origin?" fdc if "%get%" == "C" goto cia if "%get%" == "D" goto dhy if "%get%" == "F" goto fido :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Appends CIA origin :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :cia copy tilde + timed.msg + tearline.cia + tilde fini del timed.msg ren fini timed.msg goto end :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Appends DhY origin :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :dhy copy tilde + timed.msg + tearline.dhy + tilde fini del timed.msg ren fini timed.msg goto end :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Appends Fido origin :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :fido copy tilde + timed.msg + tearline + tilde fini del timed.msg ren fini timed.msg goto end :duhhh :: ------------------------------------------------------------- :: Duhhhhhh.... Forgot to save the non-quoted ver. No problem, :: will just recycle back to timEd so you can try again. :: ------------------------------------------------------------- cls echo. echo You forgot to (W)rite timEd.pgp!!! echo. pause goto end :end if exist *.bak del *.bak if exist Timed.pgp del timed.pgp if exist timed.asc del timed.asc set echo= :: Have a beer. jason ... There are some who call me . . . Tim . . . 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Marshall Votta Area: Public Key Encryption To: Shawn McMahon 15 Oct 94 14:35:56 Subject: Re: Hpack UpdReq SM> Anybody got the OS/2 compile of Hpack .79? Ask Paul Mallett at 1:323/123. -ls 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Wes Landaker Area: Public Key Encryption To: Rob Szarka 16 Oct 94 13:14:54 Subject: IFS UpdReq -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hello Rob! 09 Oct 94 05:20, Rob Szarka wrote to Wes Landaker: RS> If there isn't, there sure ought to be! I would think it would RS> be even easier to implement as an OS/2 Installable File System... RS> Any OS/2 programmers out there listening? ;-) Having it be IFS would be great . . . but unless the IFS was really a "pseudo" IFS, and just did encryption, and let FAT or HPFS do the "real" IFS work, then you'd probably end up with something a bit inferior to your normal file systems. . . . Of course, it all depends on how well the author of the program would do programming it. =) wjl [Team OS/2] * New: 1:202/322@fidonet.org ! Old: 1:202/1822@fidonet.org ! * wjl@f322.n202.z1.fidonet.org * PGP Key: AD2254A5 * FREQ: PGPKEY * -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.61 iQCVAwUBLqGKNslPrmStIlSlAQHdbgP/S7Fk1tznkplE7UdyI70YZ8BEiCWVVwgh scgdUTm6B3LxHXLL04WXW5t9JIPfojZwLNwWqFoB/lBA2U21fYdW57J4kyDktQCs GZtg9IZUG+CXbgln+SttWYSVvpS5HvbDNgg8OcN554jart/fDhOvhd/D4wym4hlA jytoSYagvNg= =unkf -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Richard Wallen Area: Public Key Encryption To: David McIntyre 16 Oct 94 08:45:00 Subject: Which PGP version is best? UpdReq On Wed 12 Oct about 06:03, David McIntyre retorted in a message to All about Which PGP version is best? Hello David! DM> I know this is a loaded question, but which is the best DM> version of PGP to use? I know that 2.3a is the last version DM> with true RSA, but is the new encryption algorithm any less DM> secure than RSA? Also, which version will allow the most DM> people to decrypt my messages? Last question is, what is DM> the best format to use as my ID/address if I don't have an DM> internet address? I considered using David McIntyre DM> (my normal alias). Most people in the key distribution have DM> internet addresses, so I don't have an example to work with. A good version of pgp running here so far is the 2.61, released shortly after the MIT 2.6.1 release.. an example [imho] regarding your ID, might be: David McIntyre where the latter suggestion should be something personal... maybe even.and.or an aniversary date. A little more each day... Richard Wallen 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Todd Rourke Area: Public Key Encryption To: Shawn McMahon 16 Oct 94 19:48:54 Subject: Hpack UpdReq SM> Anybody got the OS/2 compile of Hpack .79? MV> Ask Paul Mallett at 1:323/123. Actually, you probably will have better luck contacting him at 323/1012. -TR ... I'm a SysOp, not a role model. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718