From: Rose Dawn Area: THE_OASIS To: The Cegorach 21 Apr 97 10:16:26 Subject: Moonchild UpdReq 93 again Ceg! > I'm aware that AC reworked/rewrote the rituals, not just to avoid > infringing > upon UGLE territory, but also because the aims/ideals are different, > after all. I've often wondered how much rewriting was involved...was it just a matter of "Thelemicizing," so to speak, or a complete "job," or what? Also wondered if the original O.T.O. init rituals were sufficiently similar so that they're "confidential," or whether they'd be available for perusal. If the latter, I'd surely like to see em...have to be translation tho. German is NOT one of the languages I have even a *passing* familiarity with...other than the Ode to Joy, of course! :> > And yet I can't help but wonder why, if (per Order 'mythological' history), > the Templars *did* engage in sex magick/alchemy via the > Assassins/Sufis, why'd they all get burned at the stake? > > I mean, they don't seem to have been very *good* at it.... LOL! Well, I'm sure that *is* why they were burnt, or at least one reason, alongwith all the $$$, of course. ;> Being good at sex magick doesn't seem to necessarily preclude one's being toasted by the opposition, to me. Besides, doesn't the legend say that they *weren't* all executed? Jacques de Molay made a bitchin martyr figure, and if he knew The Other Brethren were out there to carry on the Good Work, maybe they were willing to die to keep The Secret? > I'm afraid you're much better at this than me. Damn! My pedantry's > getting rusty! > > Who's Fielding? Can't remember, though it sounds familiar. See now, I have a good memory, but it only seems to work for those *useless* facts! :/ I need to learn how to harness it, stead of just having miscellaneous things 'stick' for no appaRent reaSon. NEwayz, the Honorable Everard Fielding was at one time president of the Society for Psychical Research==or some similar name. I *think* he might've been the judge who presided at the Crowley divorce, but am not positive on that'un. He's mentioned several times in the _Confessions_, & waS the model for "Lord Anthony Bowling" from _Moonchild_. >RD> Palladino being baShed around a bit in there somewhere, and Madame > > Who the hell is that? Eusapia Palladino waS a famous 'channeler' back in ye olde daze. AC & Virakam visited her for a seance at one point, which is why I thought maybe the icky old medium from _Moonchild_ may've been baSed paRtially on her. I think he talks about her in the _Confessions_ as well...mentions investigations of several famous mediums he investigated in the US & Europe in one of the chapters. > Who's Ninette? Another "on the tip of my mind".... Ninette was the 2nd 'disciple' to join Crowley & Alostrael at Cefalu. She was the mother of uhm, the kid known as either Hermes or Dionysus in _DDF_...I forget which was which now! The other one was Leah's kid, Hans Carter Hirsig. Contrary to popular reports, neither of the boys waS Crowley's son. You'll find Ninette in the _Confessions_ aS well, and a Lbit of resentful mentions in Leah's Diary, available online all over the place as the "Diary of a Scarlet Woman." Some of the versions are more edited than others. > I thought Onofrio would be George Cecil Jones. Hmmm. For some reason, I had Progradior in mind, but could *very* well be wrong. I think it was a reference to Brother Onofrio's being "loyal" and "loving" the Order, and similar stuff, all of which sounds like Frank Bennett . Course, Prog was also spozed to be 'simple,' while Onofrio waS a Great Magician, butg I guess--luckily!--the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. ;> Oyah, I forgot the grody doctor that kills Mrs. Mathers in the book--I don't think it was spozxed to be Westcott, since AC had fond words for him here'n'there. Maybe Berridge? Dang, the G.:D.: seemed to have a LOT of "doctors," be they coroners, homeopaths, or actual treating M.D.s. ::shrug:: > I've already forgotten the character name, but Allan Bennett was in there, > too, as the Buddhist monk--maybe the Mahatmara Phang (I know I > spelled the first name wrong.) The Mahathera Phang, I believe. Yuppers--who else? :> I also think I was incorrect previously when IDing Simon as To Mega Therion...I believe TMT was the mysterious "Head of the Order," while 'Simple Simon' woulda been V.V.V.V.V., perhaps. Course, along with Basil, "these Three are One," so pedantry may be beside the point on that'un. ;> > Loved _Diary_. Perhaps _Moonchild_ was written as he and Virakam broke up; > that would certainly be consistent with the way the novel just falls > apart at the end.... See...I can't remember dates at all! :/ So I dunno when it was written, when Virakam ran off with Bey, when Laylah wrote the Book 4 Intro stating thaT our "Beloved Sister Virakam" had entered tghe "harem of a Turk"...ROTFL!! I kinda suspicion, tho, that he may've begun writing while they were still together, more or less, and completed it after she'd left The Work. Oddly--or maybe not--Hilarion woulda been the one to actually participate in something similar to the _MC_ thang; being the "Mother" of Achad. :> In reading thru texts of the various Workings, I've decided that Soror Achitha, or Roddie Minor, is my personal fave S.W.--well, excepting Ouarda, with shom I feel some weird sort of spiritual affinity, of course! :> RAW exercises: would love to see some more examples. I'll ttyl! 93 93/93 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718