From: Melissa Bech Area: THE_OASIS To: Captain Rock 6 Mar 94 01:42:00 Subject: Re: . UpdReq -=> Quoting Captain Rock to Melissa Bech <=- CR> I can't say that I go for inane, but I'm sure that I manage it from CR> time to time. Hmmm... I think I just did. As for macabre, I just CR> have passing fits of that, usually brought on by my spotting a weak CR> attempt at it. Sometimes it's hard to spot when I do it, since it's usually so farfetched a connection with anyone else's reality (I'm over-sensitive to horror). CR> I'm always happy to hear about parents who help their children to CR> pursue their dreams. Too many fight with their childrens' wills, CR> always trying to divert them into some "solid" career. I'm a CR> musician. That's really all I am and all I want to be. Still, CR> my father tried his best to make an auto mechanic out of me. It CR> makes me feel good to know that all parents aren't that way. Actually, I have always believed children should try to live out their dreams. In this spirit, I founded the Lizzie Borden Memorial Day Care center in 1982. During the entire year I ran the place, not a single parent noticed the name or asked about it. It was a little joke between myself and my friend Michael, one of the people who worked at state office level with the department that licenses day care in this state and who introduced me to the work of Tom Lehrer. Naturally, we did nothing even remotely resembling ax murder, but it's the thought that counts. What type of music do you play/like? CR> that draw attention to yourself and you'll get attention. Never CR> forget that these elusive executives are also part of the general CR> public and if you can reach the public, you'll reach them. Thanks for the PR lesson! Actually, my daughter is interested in doing alternative theatre, but may have trouble venturing into it after three years of summer stock doing Sondheim stuff. My husband is friends with and occasionally works acting with some of the theatre companies here, but talent counts. The company my brother in law works for just did a spoof musical Star Drek complete with a tap-dancing redhaired doctor. My son is doing walk-ons in various performance pieces here and there. He is getting a lot of pressure from his father to become Pele. He's only 11, so I don't want to disrupt his learning to read and do his duty as a kid just to act, he's not that into it...I'm not the stage mother type. In fact, when he called and said he needed me to come to school because the Audobon society needed volunteers to help teach environmental classes, I had a little trouble maintaining discipline in my group because I had Purple hair. I am disinclined to deal with the public, especially producers and agents, at this point in my life. CR> That's really nice. As an Eagle Scout, I always appreciate the CR> knowledge that someone wants that badly to help others. Thank you. It's really worse than that. See, I used to go to twelve step meetings, and there would be a bunch of people who were deaf or hearing-impaired there, and we would take up a collection to pay an interpreter. But, we found we couldn't come up with enough money to do it, so the deaf community lost access to a program which is pretty helpful. I think I may be understating this just slightly...So, anyhow, I thought I could take a coupla years to get some sign and volunteer to sign at meetings for folks. Did I mention I was a social work type for a bunch of years? It's hard not to keep thinking up stuff to do for other people to try to help. Did I tell you about sending vinyl to Bosnia? I don't keep copies of what I write... CR> I probably like to talk about music (any style at all) more than CR> anything else, but I guess we should try to keep it on more of a CR> metaphysical level here... have you done anything with the Magickal CR> attributes of colours and shapes? I think it's okay to just chat here, but somebody can tell me if I'm wrong...Yes, I am working on a project to design clothing for myself which will have color and symbol attributes. I can dress as eccentrically as I like, since I rarely leave my house. I am thinking about using the day of the week diaphanous robe/color coordinated with appropriate symbols to the god the day is named after, etc. But, I am also drawn to the idea of Making Something Up. It's perfectly okay to go around Seattle looking like a SCA refugee, after all, the Wilsons do it all the time. Just kidding. I would like to see you talk more about the music which interests you. I did a piece once in college, a recording of sonic meditation. My music teacher thought it was stupid. We were supposed to research and write a paper on a particular ethnic instrument. I picked voice. I did a demonstration of a virtually unheard-of use of the instrument, and he ridiculed it. Too bad my sense of self-esteem was being sublimated to the need to get passing grades in 35 credit hours that quarter, or I would have argued more. Thanks for writing back! I hope to hear from you again soon! ... Catch the Blue Wave! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Melissa Bech Area: THE_OASIS To: All 6 Mar 94 23:13:00 Subject: Adieu... UpdReq Grendel's talking about bailing on Tuesday, so I can't post for a while. Don't worry, I'll be back, and I'll be thinking affectionately of you while I plot ways to become a PODS node... ... Catch the Blue Wave! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718