From: Azoth Area: THE_OASIS To: Serpens 23 Apr 92 06:23:30 Subject: Re: PENTAGRAMS UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. -=> Quoting Serpens to Diane Vera <=- S> - certainly all the pentagrams in the grimoires were point-up (viz. S> the Goetia), as far as I know. Hmm - one source I would check is S> Levi. A lot of the neoromantic Satanic revival (as well as the S> neoromantic occult revival in general) traces back to the Levi. I'll S> do some digging there. It seems to me that pentagrams played a role in S> the Vintras/Boullan wiz-war of that period too, but their direction I S> do not recall. Right you are, Brother Serpens. Levi interpreted a photographic record of several magically transfigured hosts shown to him by the Abbe Charvoz, a disciple of Vintras. Three of them only did he pronounce demonic, and one of those was an averse pentagram. His marvelous description reads, in part, "It is the goat of lust attacking Heaven with its horns." Crowley's footnote questions Levi's sense, pointing out that 'upside down' on a circular host is an odd concept... That takes it back to the latter part of the 19th century, at least in English (Crowley's translation of _The_Key_of_the_Mysteries was out in 1897 or thereabouts), but the only other early record of an inverted pentagram I recall seeing is in the _Nigromancia_ of Roger Bacon, and there is no demonic stigmata attached thereto. Love is the law, love under will. ... There is no law beyond. Do what thou wilt. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718