From: Josh Norton Area: Night Side To: Frater Almost 6 Jul 92 15:22:06 Subject: Bate Cabal Info Rec'd UpdReq >Okay now........ The moderator has been hanging out in the >Golden Dawn Temples too long and wants to step back out >into the night.... What is this "Bate Cabal" that everyone >is talking about? Where can I get a copy (Blackmoon, I >assume but where are they? Ohio or New Orleasn?) And, if >anybody would like to post it here, just what exactly (in >lay-man's or near-lay-man's terms) is the "Bate Cabal"? >Thanks! Pax et Nox et Nice Clean Sox! 93 Black Moon's current mailing address is: Black Moon Publishing P.O. Box 19469 Cincinnati, OH 45219-0469 bate cabal (usually spelled with a small "b" and "c") was/is a communications network for working magicians who were also interested in writing about magick. Hence the "bate" (pronounced "bet", and meaning the Hebrew letter "beth" or Greek "beta") in the name. The original group was composed of a bunch of magicians in the Cincinnati area in the early 70's, with connections to individuals and groups they knew in other parts of the country. Most of them were following a Thelemic or quasi-thelemic line at the time, but have since passed on to other systems as varied as Voudoun, Indian kachinas, Christian mysticism, Maat, etc. Most still give a unspoken thelemic twist to their work, but don't seriously try to stay within the tenets of "traditional" Thelemism. Some VERY high-power magicians have been associated with the cabal at one time or another, and it's associates have had a significant influence on the course of magick over the last two decades, even though most of them remain relatively unknown to the magickal community at large. The group is extremely anarchistic, and doesn't even have a membership -- only "associates", and you can become an associate simply by declaring that you are one. It's basic principle is that any system of magick is true for the person who is using it. bate cabal never had any "official" organization, rituals or gatherings, but various sub-groups got together (and still do) occasionally to do rituals, often with very interesting results, like the "trans-aeonic" working Frater Q.A.A. mentioned. Most of the participants now live in widely scattered parts of the country, so the cabal is more or less inactive, though it has never been disbanded, and probably never will be. It has always been more an idea than a thing in any case. ___-------------------------------------- Here is the original bate cabal manifest, the only "official" document ever published by the cabal: Yod - Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. He - Love is the law, love under will. Vav - All grades, offices, and attainments are accepted by the Cabal. Every reality is authentic in terms of the specific system that generates it. If the grade, office or attainment is of a general nature, it will be recognized as such by those individuals that come into contact with the space governed by it. Let success be your proof. There is no Law beyond do what thou wilt. He - ? the final 'HE' who is to say if this be concealed surely All is revealed Every man and every woman is a star. ___---------------------------------------- Black Moon Publishing is a project of three cabal associates, Louis Martinie, Mishlen, and Frater Samekh 277. It was originally called Conquering Child Publishing, but one of the O.T.O.s got stinky and threatened to sue them, claiming that "Conquering Child" was an O.T.O. trademark! Since the Horus-worshippers were the ones hassling them, they changed the name to "Black Moon" after the "hunting moon" of Set. Black Moon maintains the Archives, a repository for occult manuscripts that are either too short or too esoteric (usually both) for publication by the major houses such as Weiser or Llewellyn. They make photocopies of the manuscripts available to the public for just slightly above the cost of copying -- about $.10 per copied page. The Archives has documents covering a immense variety of magickal traditions, and is the only source for some important documents, such as Frater PVN's papers on sex magick. Anyone can contribute papers, and they accept and list almost anything that is readable. The last few lists have included a LOT of darkside and chaoticist stuff, well worth checking out. The Cincinnati Journal of Ceremonial Magick is another Black Moon project. It has a deserved reputation for quality and lack of editorial bias. Great stuff! It is published whenever Lu has enough material and enough money to cover the printing costs, usually every year or two. Back issues of some volumes are still available. They also publish "chapbooks", small 5" by 8" books on a variety of magick subjects. One of the most recent was an excellent book by Mishlen on darkside magick, following L.A. Falorio's work. All of Black Moon's projects are run on a NON-PROFIT basis. I guarantee they are not looking to gouge you. Except for the labor costs involved in copying, nobody makes any money off of their projects. All profits are plowed back into other publishing projects. If you write, they will send you the latest list of manuscripts for free. If you send along two or three dollars, they'll send you the complete listing of manuscripts, going back to the mid-1970's. Ask also for flyers on the available chapbooks. The Archives are a genuine gold mine of occult information. If you haven't yet seen what they have, you really should check it out. * SLMR 2.1a * I left my heart in Chichen Itza. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Frater Almost Area: Night Side To: Josh Norton 8 Jul 92 03:14:08 Subject: Bate Cabal Info Sent UpdReq I really should wake up more often! I've been to rituals with Lu and Mish and I really enjoyed their company. I'll look into it definitely. There is much work here to be done, fer shure. I for one would like to find out anything I could on the subject of a more Thelemic-Oriented Enochian frame-work..... Perchance their archives could help me. Pax. 93 Thanx! :) 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Josh Norton Area: Night Side To: Neuro Sonic 7 Jul 92 15:55:06 Subject: Assisstance required UpdReq >Thanks for the reply, especially since you should know the >rights regarding them better then most! >I understand Martine will be working in close conjunction >with NaChSh when HaditNet goes online. Something was said >by AZOTH about making HADITNET the king of LHP Online. >(only makes Sense) I hadn't heard that Lu was getting into online activities, although it doesn't surprise me at all. What's HaditNet about, and when is it going to be up? Is it going to be part of PODnet, or will I have to bedevil our sysop into supplying yet another network access? >Does this mean we have your permission to reproduce such >jewels as Enochian Temples? Well, in principle I don't have any objections. But I think that the nets should agree on certain standards for distribution of people's writings. For most of us who do a lot of writing about magick, it is a labor of love; we don't make any sort of profit off our work. And the only reward we ever get is the occasional note of thanks from an appreciative reader. Getting due credit for our work is an important consideration. I think that many would feel hurt and angry if we were to find our stuff appearing without our byline and copyright -- or worse, with somebody else's -- or if we found someone using it for commercial purposes. If there were some way we could assure that wouldn't happen (or would at least be a rare occurrance) I would feel a lot more comfortable. In regard to "Temples", there is an additional consideration. I had specifically told Lu to donate my proceeds towards the maintenance of the Archives. It was a gift to him, in appreciation of his support and of the long years of effort he has put into making magickal writings available to the public. If they are still selling a significant number of copies, I might want to hold off a bit. Let me check with him before giving any final permission. I'll write to him sometime this week. In any case, I would personally prefer that a request for permission to distribute be made in writing, rather than through the ephemeral mode of net. That way we have a solid record of what was said, in case there are problems later. Do you need an address? >What else ya got, I understand >you're quite ADEPT at the techniques used in Dee's work! Bad pun! With a few minor exceptions, everything I've done that was worth printing (and a few things that weren't!) is in the Archives. Most of the later stuff is directly or indirectly related to Enochian work, though there is very little else on specific techniques. I'm really a cabalist at heart, and the practical side is just a way of getting more interesting symbols to play with. * SLMR 2.1a * Help stamp out Gerald Schueler. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Phule Area: Night Side To: Nick Frost 26 Jun 92 16:30:00 Subject: Re: DARKNESS UpdReq NF> our own darker side. So I ask you all, what makes you afraid? Can NF> you even say it out loud? Ignorance. But it also is what makes life so enjoyable. Hail Eris 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Frc Area: Night Side To: Ammond Shadowcraft 27 Jun 92 11:17:00 Subject: Re: RE: Re: freethinkers don't censor UpdReq I personally think most of here are forgetting the rights of infants to cry at full volume during a movie. I am outraged at the number of times I have seen the totally innocent wailing of a baby stifled by dictatorial, power mad theater managers. If the fact that the wailing sounds much the same no matter what baby or which movie or the fact that perhaps to _some_ people there is no real information being conveyed (I guess no one considers the mothers concern over what the baby is trying to convey) reason enough to ask that it be ceased? Are the rights "purchased" by those with a ticket more important than the baby's to communicate? Think about it........(I don't have the answer)! 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Frater Almost Area: Night Side To: Josh Norton 8 Jul 92 19:15:30 Subject: Assisstance required Sent UpdReq HaditNet was the board from which this echo base and the Magical Plants echo base originated from. It was originally found in Memphis, Tn but now is moving to New Orleans, La to be re-activated as a new type of board.... Solely dedicated to LHP and Thelema. The Sysop, Frater Nachash, has temporarily left me charge of this echo and over Magical Plants. Unfortunately, the other day I spoke to Frater Nachash and / or his room-mates and heard that his Modem was broken. :/ He is also having difficulty in establishing just how many phone lines he needs, etc. He really wants to expand his board and he does have a lot, _A LOT_ of LHP / Thelemic / OTO / A.'. A.'. / ToS files on line. HaditNet will be up soon under a new guise. Until then, keep your fingers crossed and do your will! :) Pax. 93 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718