From: Balanone Area: Night Side To: Tim Maroney 6 Apr 92 15:08:38 Subject: RE: Re: freethinkers don't censor UpdReq On 04 Apr 92 06:36:48, Tim Maroney posted a message to The Sinistar concerning "RE: Re: freethinkers don't censor"... TM> Once again, you are completely failing to engage the free speech TM> issues. All youc an say is that you really don't like the guy and his TM> posting style, so you are perfectly justified in denying himn the right TM> to speak. You've added the new twist that it's OK to censor him TM> because other people have censored him. Please, stop and think about TM> what you're doing, and what attitudes like yours do to the world. Tim, In general I agree with you that censorship should be avoided. However, I also believe in one's responsibility to speak responsibly when using someone else's resources. In this case, the young one was using Sinistar's BBS, offending Sinistar's users, and spreading his garbage (my opinion) through the echoes at Sinistar's cost. Just as any publisher would, Sinistar has the right to determine how his resources are used. Knowing as little as I do concerning the details of this action, I tend to support Sinistar's actions on his BBS. Were that young one to start his own BBS, he would then be free to speak/type as he chose on that BBS, and to communicate to anyone who would listen/read. He would be free to communicate on the echoes at his own expense, to the limits permitted by echo administration (again concerned with the resources of the participating sysops). Rights and responsibilities go hand in hand. Abuse of one's rights at the expense of others, such that it impinges on others' rights (in this case, Sinistar's right to determine upon which material Sinistar will spend money to store and forward), should not be tolerated. I will support your right to publish and distribute your own statements regardless of what they say and how they say it. But I will not permit you to drain my personal financial resources to distribute content or format I disagree with. I support Sinistar's right to control his resources as well. What do you think of that side of the issue? Balanone PP ... Hey! No! Don't pick up that pho+>+Abe+++T 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718