From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Milamber 6 Jul 94 20:33:06 Subject: RE: MEANWHILE, BACK AT TH UpdReq MI> AL> This machine is a 486/33, and it's pretty fast...but it won't pick up > AL> the difference between "there" and "they're" and "their"...or "its" > AL> and "it's". And it tends to see perfectly acceptable usages as > AL> mistakes. My eyes and brain simply *know* when something's right or > AL> wrong. Mostly I use the spelling/grammar checker just to check for > AL> typos. MI>Yep...same problem I usually have. I've got WordPerf 5.1 with a grammar >checker, but it usually can't do more than point out a few obvious errors >that I can find better when I just plain read the thing. It's a nice help >when I'm feeling a little lazy and only want a cursory proofread, though... Sometimes I miss meaningless typos, especially when I read "on-screen" instead of bothering to print it out. That's about all the spellchecker (I use Word 2.0) can do for me. MI> AL> If you want a house badly enough, chances are one will turn up > AL> unexpectedly. Magick works! MI>"Be careful what you wish for, you might get it, and it might be taxable!" >I do want eventually to live in a house. Not right now, though; any house >we could afford right now would be a house I wouldn't want to live in. I >can't move very far, since I'm a student at Berkeley...and the cost of a >decent house (including payments, bills, repairs, etc.) would be about twic >what we're currently paying for rent. Nope, not right now. Well, when it's time, it'll happen. (Berkely, huh? I'm an old hippie...never got to the Left Coast, but the very name "Berkely" conjures up all sorts of hallucinogenic images...) MI> AL> (I had a "hearth" that I made out of flat > AL> stones - it was no more than six inches in its largest dimension - and > AL> I burned cone incense and occasionally some twigs on it, for > AL> "hearth/home magick". Sure enough, the house we found had a fireplace, > AL> into which I incorporated the "hearth".) MI>That's neat! I'm glad you met with success. Put a log on the fire for me. Alas, that was the house *before* this one. This house doesn't have a fireplace, although if I had enough money I could have one built. We have a huge yard, a little strip of woods to the North and a swampy/marshy area to the West (hmmmm...never thought of the elemental correspondences before...), and I can have my feet in the Atlantic Ocean in fifteen minutes. MI> AL> There are a few things I've wanted desperately almost all my life that > AL> haven't yet manifested in the real world; foremost among them is > AL> flying lessons/pilot's license/plane (!). Other than that, the things > AL> I'm unhappy about not having are mostly intangibles. MI>Yes. Same here, I guess...only sort of the opposite. There are a lot of >things I've wanted very much all my life that I simply can't have right >now unless I win the lottery this week...but I'm doing pretty well on the >intangibles. I've found my path, I've found my fiancee. I may sometimes >wish that I would learn faster, but I know that's just a minor flaw of >impatience on my part. All things happen in their own time. I'm on my Path; that's one of the areas where things *are* going sort of right. I'm more-or-less happily married (we celebrated our 21st anniversary last month!), but our teenage son has behavior problems and makes my life a living hell most of the time. We've managed to get ourselves into a financial "hole", and my husband is predicting all sorts of doom and destruction, and refuses to accept my magick as being "real" help. I'm a middle-aged suburban housewife instead of the first woman to reach Mars (or something); I have a lot of self-esteem problems. And right at the moment, anyway, there doesn't seem to be much hope that any of these things will really ever get better. I envy you. --- SLMR 2.0 Mating call of the Mail Duck: "QWK! QWK! QWK!" 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Anom Stranger Area: Mundane To: Farrell McGovern 7 Jul 94 21:36:00 Subject: Echo's UpdReq Thanks, see it is going out, will let downlinks know and will also let him know about posts for Metaphysical. Regards, Anom Stranger 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Urhla Area: Mundane To: Liana 7 Jul 94 19:42:30 Subject: Re: LIFE UpdReq My summer has been really good, aside from the daily duties of work. Ive been having a great time meeting people, studying the craft, reading good books....Hey! I just started a book that you might like! Its called "Sing the Body Electric!" by Adam Lively. Its beautifully written and can make me soar! Its about a composer who wants to find the essence of his music so he moves to a small fishing village somewhere in the year 2065, although its written in a victorian style. The descriptions of Mozart and the spirit of music are quite moving and often really funny! What about you how is your summer? Much hugs Urhla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718