From: ARAIGUMA Area: Mundane To: LIANA 8 May 94 18:58:00 Subject: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq -=> Quoting Liana to Araiguma <=- Ar> when she got home. Yummy stuff. I'll have to arrange some way of Ar> smuggling some starter back the next time I visit. Li> Ooh! I'd like some if you get it! Ar> Okay...we'll see if we can manage to get up to the Northwest this Ar> summer. It's been over a year now... Li> {clapping hands} Goody! Is that where you're originally from? Well, I'm originally from New England (born in Rhode Island, lived there and Connecticut till I was 12), but I was a nuke brat, y'see. My mother and stepdad settled near Hanford. The spoose's folks live in Seattle. Ar> (from experience, I'd suggest half regular white flour and half whole Ar> wheat. This produces a nice, dense, chewy loaf, where the entirely Ar> whole wheat can be um, sort of massive) Li> {snort} Ar> Like eating a rather tasty brick. Li> {laughing} And when have you tasted brick? 'Specially in earthquake Li> country... Not directly, but I've ingested a certain amount of brick dust in my time. Ar> (Harold, McGee, in _On Food and Cooking_, says that 80 degrees F Ar> is the optimal temperature for rising, and that 95* will cause a more Li> I think I'll pick this one up... Ar> I got my copy at Moe's. Big teal-blue-with-pink-trim paperback. $21 Ar> list, $18.90 at Moes. (bibliotrivia such as ISBN# available upon Ar> request.) Li> Hey, if I get the part-time job there this summer, maybe I'll get Li> DISCOUNTS!!! Ooooh... Pretty scary... Ar> This is a heavy (like, say, neutron star density), moist loaf, and Ar> those with more delicate tastes might prefer using half white flour" Li> Sounds like my banana bread... DENSE. Ar> Makes holiday fruitcakes look wimpy. Serves as a doorstop... Li> Ig. Jews pass around kougle... serves a similar purpose. Yeah, that sounds about right from my one experience with the stuff. Li> You would love the boxes of clippings and stained messy cookbooks I Li> have from my grandmother. I've browsed through them... sorting it out Li> will take at least a week or three... stuff all the way back to WWII. Ar> Sounds like my mother-in-law's, except hers only go back to the 50's. Ar> Among other things, she used to teach Home Ec. Li> Ahhh... must be nice during family get togethers. Yup! Ar> Flour-smeared blessings Li> Would you settle for flour dusted? {g} I dunno. Do I have to get greased first? *BB* Araiguma ... Ask me about my vow of silence. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: URHLA 8 May 94 23:26:00 Subject: KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Urhla to Liana ... Ur> Thanks for the recipes. Im going to give them a try. You are a person Ur> with many hobbies. I am too. Me its....reading reading reading, Ur> movies, people, computers, animals, backpacking, walking, chatting, Ur> being a magpie of info, crafts (trying to incorporate wiccan Ur> elements). {laughing} Wow! Nice to know there are others with too many skills... what's the phrase... Jack of all trades, master of none? Except that I'm simply mastering more than one at a time, and connecting them together... Wicca is a good common denominator (smile). Ur> You said that you like candles, do you make your own? You Ur> mentioned music. Do you play a musical instrument. What do you read? Ur> what kindof Martial arts do you practice. Candles... no, I haven't tried to make my own as of yet. There's a place where you can buy sheets of wax, but I don't like rolled candles. They burn far too fast. I have bags of remnants from old pillar candles that I occasionally get out and melt over the stove. I pour the wax into old jars with string for wicks, but it's strictly an amateur job... hm... now you have me interested... I may check this out. I enjoy carving candles. I use a simple exacto-knife kit that has an assortment of blades and routers. I never know what the candle will look like until it's done... I've had some interesting ones ;) And then I burn them down, releasing the energy. Music! I'm a singer, and my other prime instrument is the piano. I'm classically trained from a young age... vocally, trained from teens... other instruments... I dabble on the acoustic guitar, but I'm lazy about it. Much easier to sit at the piano. Recorder, a little bit, drum, a lot... do you get into sacred dance? Martial Arts... actually, I only know what assorted friends have shown me. Actual classes are too expensive. I practice Hatha Yoga, primarily, as well as other aspects of Yoga with my own slant. Yoga isn't a martial art, although it certainly lets me pick up some of these kicks and such... flexibility and strength always have their uses. Ur> I adore cats, but my hubbies Ur> alergic. I told him that living without cats is my true proof of my Ur> love.:) Thanks again, TTYS Definate proof, IMNSHO :D I'm allergic to far too many things to list... gotta love those allergy shots... things stay at a reasonable level with those and pills and the occasional inhaler puff. It's been that way all my life so I long ago stopped depriving myself of things that I love... just learned how much I can take. I grew up with a dog and cats used to flip me right over the threshhold. Now I have cats, and dogs do the same thing. MoM decided to let me only have one, I suppose (sigh...) Maybe your hubby can get allergy testing? And you can have a cat! Also, if you pet them with a damp washcloth every night, the water breaks down the saliva in their fur (which is what most people are actually allergic too). That and keep the fur swept up... Nice chatting with you, multi-talented one! Blessed Be. -l ... Every thing is of the nature of no thing ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: OTTAR 8 May 94 23:26:00 Subject: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Ottar to Liana ... LI>like the meat would be tough. I would think you could get venison from LI>the highway people (CalTrans here)... all that road kill. What *do* LI>they do with the road kill that could be used? Sweet breads... aren't Ot> They used to be given prisons and/or fire stations to be used to feed Ot> either prisoners or firemen.But some intelligent legal type person fo Ot> nd this to be a violation of someones rights so now we the taxpayers Ot> of California pay for the carcasses to go to a rendering plant! {urk} Just one more tidbit in the Grand Game... welcome to the Comedy, the Absurdity that is Life! ;) LI>Gee... just let me learn to handle generic bought-at-the-supermarket LI>bread before I start making my own Ot> Making bread is easy after the first few times. You need to get over Ot> the Oh Gods I'm Gonna Ruin it attitude and just do it.(Not meaning Ot> thats he attitude you appear to have, but it was the attitude I had to Ot> start)It' just takes kneading. Knead until your arms fall off then Ot> use your forehead Well, so much for my Dedicated Bread Making weekend. I went out and did stuff instead... Spring beckoned. Ot> I had a pot of sourdough going for the last two Ot> years of my marriage and my wife and kids would not eat store bought Ot> bread if they could help it. If your interested there is a booklet Ot> called Baking With Sourdough put out by Garden Way publishing that Ot> makes the whole process easier. This is the second time I've heard of a bread starter... does this booklet contain the recipe? If so, I would *love* to get it! LI>Bridal bread? That sounds very interesting. A friend of mine has just LI>gotten engaged and is looking for any and all ways to save money... if LI>you find this recipe, would you mind posting it up? Ot> I second the motion Thank you, and Blessed Be. -l ... At times I think and at times I am ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: ARAIGUMA 8 May 94 23:26:00 Subject: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Araiguma to Liana ... Ar> Okay...we'll see if we can manage to get up to the Northwest this Ar> summer. It's been over a year now... Li> {clapping hands} Goody! Is that where you're originally from? Ar> Well, I'm originally from New England (born in Rhode Island, lived Ar> there and Connecticut till I was 12), but I was a nuke brat, y'see. My Ar> mother and stepdad settled near Hanford. The spoose's folks live in Ar> Seattle. Spoose? What, is he part spud, part goose? ;) Ar> Like eating a rather tasty brick. Li> {laughing} And when have you tasted brick? 'Specially in earthquake Li> country... Ar> Not directly, but I've ingested a certain amount of brick dust in my Ar> time. Pray elaborate... twas it deliberate? Li> Hey, if I get the part-time job there this summer, maybe I'll get Li> DISCOUNTS!!! Ooooh... Ar> Pretty scary... Mmmm... such a thrill. Finals in a few weeks. I changed my mind about Moe's, though. Shakespear and Co. would be more helpful as far as getting practical experience. They have a good occult section, as well as Judaica, myth, religion and what have you. Li> Sounds like my banana bread... DENSE. Ar> Makes holiday fruitcakes look wimpy. Serves as a doorstop... Li> Ig. Jews pass around kougle... serves a similar purpose. Ar> Yeah, that sounds about right from my one experience with the stuff. But it's SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD. Yum! Ar> Flour-smeared blessings Li> Would you settle for flour dusted? {g} Ar> I dunno. Do I have to get greased first? rofl! Such an image I just got Blessed Be! -l ... To realize the unimportance of time is the gate of wisdom ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Spider Area: Mundane To: Ace Lightning 10 May 94 22:12:10 Subject: Cognitive Dissonance UpdReq In a message dated 05 May 94 10:51:51, Ace Lightning wrote: > AL> ("Cognitive dissonance" is another way of saying "I like to blow > AL> people's minds"!) AL> Letting people assume something about me, and then confounding their AL> assumptions, is one of my favorite pastimes. I like to surprise people too. Every July, I get my hair cut short (and usually in a strange style), then I don't cut it for the rest of the year. E.g. last year, it was all cut about 1/2 inch long except a very thin tail. I also had stripes shaved in at ONE temple. Since my hair had been shoulder-length before then, anyone who had known me for only a few months gasped or screamed. I'm a bundle of contradictions anyway. I'm painfully shy, but one of my favorite pastimes is to wander into a group of people that I only know one person in and listen to them silently (that's how I got my nickname). I'm also both sensitive and insensitive at the same time-- I'm thin-skinned, and empathize deeply when someone tells me hir troubles; yet I am notoriously bad at taking hints. Anyway, nobody asked me what I thought... :) Spider 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Spider Area: Mundane To: Rose Dawn 10 May 94 22:30:10 Subject: Hehehehe UpdReq In a message dated 08 May 94 10:57:17, Rose Dawn wrote: > I'm sorry if I'm out of it but I havn't got the slightest idea what > your talking about?? RD> Hmm...me neither actually! You didn't quote, and I don't think I've RD> posted at you for quite a while...what was I saying, something about RD> dress codes or school board policies?? Gotta pay attention to those origin lines! :) That was a different Spider (from area code 303, Colorado) who didn't know what was going on. Spider 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lazarus Long Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 11 May 94 13:48:00 Subject: greenhouse UpdReq gp> LL> Especially when we've got about 20,000 nuclear warheads sitting in gp> LL> cardboard boxes scattered about the country. gp>Again, that would only effect some of the life....things gp>would survive, as gp>they did when the dinosaurs were destroyed. Life would gp>adapt. Short of gp>blowing Her to bits, we cannot destroy the Mother....only gp>ourselves. And gp>I do admit to wondering, sometimes, if that would be a bad gp>thing. Yeah, my view exactly. I have a bit of trouble explaining it, so I'm happy I've found somebody that shares it. It doesn't matter what we do to Her, She's gonna live through anything. Query is, are we gonna make it through with Her? Laz 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: David Arnold Area: Mundane To: Christeos Pir 12 May 94 00:00:18 Subject: What the. . . ? #3 UpdReq > Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. >> ... But the progress is progress, & progress is rapture, constant, > DA> that sounded promising, what's the rest? ;) > You _would_ ask! Hang on while I go look... > Oh, here we go: [ye Crowley retained] wow! kinda disturbing in parts, but curious. sounds like a hymn. the rest of that tagline is better: dazzling, showers of light, flames in the Goddess' hair oh yes! thanks for posting it; i've saved it to my newly growing Crowley file archives. > ... the Horror of emptiness, with his ghastly eyes like poisonous wells. now HE sounds like fun. i'll invite him to my next party. should knock a few souls for a loop. david 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: David Arnold Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 12 May 94 00:17:18 Subject: greenhouse UpdReq > How many of my posts have you read? only one at the time i wrote this a month ago. [...] > But I also recognize that WE are PART of the ecology....every > creature or plant or rainstorm or volcano changes the earth. The Earth IS > change. And all we can contribute, even in the negative sense, is to add > to that change. I don't want us to destroy ourselves, but if we do, we > do. Mama will find something to replace us. it doesn't mean one can be careless, however, simply on the basis of the idea that the Earth will heal itself no matter what we dish out to it. that idea will sadly fail. Mama will not find something to replace us if Mama is dead. the Earth is NOT impervious nor is it perfect. it *can* be destroyed like anything else. the idea to go for here is preservation not destruction. if i had a strong healthy body (which i don't btw, but that's irrelevant to my point), i wouldn't eat junk food along with my health food just because i thought my body could take it. i would continue to tend to its upkeep. it's one's *attitude* toward the Earth, rather than one's *actions*, that is more important here. that was my point. we are responsible for maintaining the Earth. emphasis on the word "maintain". > If might have helped if you had started reading when the thread started. i did. this was a month-old message from me. wouldn't have helped anyway; my position and point is still the same from what you just said this time. david 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Urhla 11 May 94 10:57:26 Subject: Kitchen Witch UpdReq UR>Ok, Tell me about your name. My name belongs to the character that I play i >D&D. She is a formidable, vicious, black, female gladiator, who fights for >justice. Shes alot of fun. I sometimes wonder if she is my shadow. She >certainly has more guts than I do. I think that she may have a lot to teach >me. Oh my Gods...I am being Jungian. Nothing wrong with that! ;-) And it seems to me that many people find RPG characters a very good way to explore facets of their own personalities that they otherwise couldn't access. (I don't roleplay, but my teenage son does, and I know a little bit about it.) My name took many years to grow. It started when I was about 12 years old. My "real" name is Alice; too many people were calling me "Al", and I just didn't like it. ("Al" works in a gas station!) I figured, if they absolutely couldn't manage two syllables, I'd think of a nickname that *I* liked. Playing around with the letters in my name, I came up with Ace. This fit me very well, because I was just getting into aviation (I had hopes of getting a pilot's license...it hasn't happened yet, and I'm now 46, but I'm still hoping...). I liked the image of a hotshot pilot. I began using an ace-of-spades design as a kind of personal signature. It never caught on in junior high school, but I carried it with me through my life, still using the ace design. I consider Ace to be my truename; it's what I call myself when I talk to myself. Instead of becoming a pilot, I became a broadcasting technician, working in radio (occasionally TV). Many years later, when I began studying Wicca, one of my first teachers told me I should have a nonverbal symbol that I could use for my magickal "signature". I took the ace-of-spades design and added a lightning bolt across it. This had several different meanings; it stood for magickal power, which I was hoping to acquire as I went on in the Craft (and did, of course); it also related to my career -- if you draw a radio tower, and you want to show that it's transmitting, you draw little lightning bolts shooting out of the tip; and it stands for electricity and electronics in general, which are things I'm good with; and on the most obvious level, I *like* thunderstorms with lots of lightning! The symbol has evolved visually; now the "ace" part is dark purple (often metallic), and the lightning bolt is either silver or prismatic. There's also the monochrome version I do with a purple pen on paper, as my signature. (Purple is my color, as you might have guessed. All my clothes are purple, and all my personal stuff.) One of my friends, looking at the ace-and-lightning-bolt symbol, "read it out loud" as Ace Lightning. So that's what I used when I needed a BBS alias (the first board I logged onto required a first and last name). Not as romantic, perhaps, as your name, but I'm happy with it. SLMR 2.0 Techno-Pagan and Proud! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: ARAIGUMA Area: Mundane To: LIANA 9 May 94 22:52:00 Subject: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq -=> Quoting Liana to Araiguma <=- Ar> Well, I'm originally from New England (born in Rhode Island, lived Ar> there and Connecticut till I was 12), but I was a nuke brat, y'see. My Ar> mother and stepdad settled near Hanford. The spoose's folks live in Ar> Seattle. Li> Spoose? What, is he part spud, part goose? ;) Well, he gooses me sometimes... And we do the "Celto-Slavic Poverty Diet" (i.e. spuds) some months, and if you are what you eat...(further musings on this topic re-routed to Merry Meat...) Ar> Like eating a rather tasty brick. Li> {laughing} And when have you tasted brick? 'Specially in earthquake Li> country... Ar> Not directly, but I've ingested a certain amount of brick dust in my Ar> time. Li> Pray elaborate... twas it deliberate? Nope. Li> Hey, if I get the part-time job there this summer, maybe I'll get Li> DISCOUNTS!!! Ooooh... Ar> Pretty scary... Li> Mmmm... such a thrill. Finals in a few weeks. I changed my mind Li> about Moe's, though. Shakespear and Co. would be more helpful as far Li> as getting practical experience. They have a good occult section, as Li> well as Judaica, myth, religion and what have you. Yeah, they are pretty good. Maybe someday I'll forgive them for having that bookpress in their window as *decoration*. This offends my binder's sensibilities. I like to see them doing what they're made for, as long as they're functional. (I feel the same way about typecases used as bases for kountry-kitsch dioramas...I have some type that needs a place to live, thanks. And I loathe kountry kitsch with a pure blue flame of passion...)(but I digress, as usual...) Li> Sounds like my banana bread... DENSE. Ar> Makes holiday fruitcakes look wimpy. Serves as a doorstop... Li> Ig. Jews pass around kougle... serves a similar purpose. Ar> Yeah, that sounds about right from my one experience with the stuff. Li> But it's SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD. Yum! Mmmm, I dunno whether it was 'cause I'm a tacky shiksa, or it just wasn't a good example of the genre, but I wasn't much impressed with my one sample. Ar> Flour-smeared blessings Li> Would you settle for flour dusted? {g} Ar> I dunno. Do I have to get greased first? Li> rofl! Such an image I just got Yes, I can imagine... B*B Araiguma ... (Kate) Clinton and (Leslie) Gore in 1996! ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718