From: ARAIGUMA Area: Mundane To: LIANA 1 May 94 06:39:00 Subject: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq -=> Quoting Liana to Kat <=- Ka> Still some of the recipes Ka> are timeless. Like making your own yeast out of potato peelings. You Ka> soak them in water to cover, and the foam that rises to the top is the Ka> yeast. You have to keep it going by adding new peels all the time, Ka> but that's not so hard. Still the yeast makes an excellent sour Ka> dough. Li> Gee... just let me learn to handle generic bought-at-the-supermarket Li> bread before I start making my own Truth to tell, the sourdough may be a bit easier in some ways. My mother's been going for years on a sourdough my grandmother gave her. She "nourishes" it with water from cooking potatoes and vegetables. When she worked, she had it all worked out to where she'd mix up the sponge, let it rise in the oven overnight, knead the rest of the ingredients in before work, let it rise again all day, then bake it when she got home. Yummy stuff. I'll have to arrange some way of smuggling some starter back the next time I visit. And, contributed for your pleasure (from The Poor Poets' Cookbook, a rather odd little number from (if I remember correctly) the thirties or forties: "A Yeast Bread for Busy Poets (with asides from your humble typist...) Most yeast breads result in a floury kitchen and considerable time consumed. A large bowl of rising dough is a bed adored by kittens (Araiguma says "I've never had a problem with it myself..."). Contrarily, this yeast bread only requires one bowl and a baking pan. And a cardboard carton turned over the rising dough will foil even the most charming kitten. 1 pound (this is about 4 cups sifted) whole wheat flour (from experience, I'd suggest half regular white flour and half whole wheat. This produces a nice, dense, chewy loaf, where the entirely whole wheat can be um, sort of massive) 1 package dry yeast 1T sugar 1t salt Warm water (I go with "roughly body temperature")1.5 cups + 2T, more or less. Mix flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Into this, pour the yeast that has been dissolved (yeah, right! I do the "dissolving" in the measuring cup, and use the remaining 1.5 cups to rinse out the remainder...old lab tech trick...) Then add 1.5 cups of water and stir well with the best wooden spoon (a "pretty good" one'll do ya...). The mixture should be soft and sticky (I'll say!) Pour the dough into a *well*-greased bread pan, cover with a cloth, and set in a warm place to rise for about 20 minutes. (Harold, McGee, in _On Food and Cooking_, says that 80 degrees F is the optimal temperature for rising, and that 95* will cause a more sour taste and smell, and result in a stickier, messier dough.[this book is really good for nitty-gritty "science of cooking, how it all works, where kitchen lore comes from, and what of it is actually correct" Highly recommended]) The dough should just come to the top of the pan. Bake at 425 for about 1 hour. A good test for doneness is to thump the bottom of the loaf (um, it's still in a hot pan...I thump the top a bit, thanks.), it should sound hollow. This is a heavy (like, say, neutron star density), moist loaf, and those with more delicate tastes might prefer using half white flour" Araiguma she of the stained cookbooks crammed full of equally messy clippings... ... COFFEE.COM not found: A)dd more, R)eheat, F)reak out? ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Alpha Wolf Area: Mundane To: Ace Lightning 2 May 94 07:29:00 Subject: LYCANTHROPY UpdReq al>(Although I'm not a werewolf myself...what happened to "wolf al>and al>woman?") ;-) al>The way I see it, if an animal totem or spirit calls to you al>that al>strongly, so strongly that you feel you must in some way *be* al>that al>animal, it's more than just "wolf energies"; it's Wolf, al>him/herself, al>claiming your soul for his/her own. Not "a" wolf, or "the" al>wolf, or al>"wolf energies"; rather, it is "Wolf", the spiritual al>archetype of ALL al>"wolf-ness". Hmmm, sounds pretty cool! I guess I might have to try to communicate with Brother Wolf (as the indians called him in some of their ledgends... uh-------------------^^^^^^^ Native Americans, have to be pollitically correct...) al>JE>Well, thanks, I guess I'll try it, why not? al>I suggested a number of things...which one(s) did you intend al>to try? Well, most of them-- I'm not rich enough to get the canine like teeth, but raw meat tastes really good! I was eating our dinner ham before it was put into the oven, and my mom was going berserk trying to fight me back! It was pretty gory, with all the blood and fat juices drooling all over... I already WAS howling, quite regularly. And the neighbors' dogs seem to think I'm doing a good job, too! Uh-- what else did you suggest? al>aaaoohwwOOOOOOooooooo! Don't get TOO carried away, dear! ;-) --Alph Wolf The howling one. (This was made up by my good friend Saduker! Cool?) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Alpha Wolf Area: Mundane To: Lt. Commander Zargon 2 May 94 07:37:00 Subject: Re: LYCANTHROPY UpdReq lz>Well... since you seem to be serious... I will try to help lz>you as much as I can. First of all, it's not like you see in lz>the movies... Whereas you may become preditory at times and lz>even seem more animalistic in appearance, your bone structure lz>does not change, your hair does not magically grow out and lz>back in, and your teeth and nails do not magically grow lz>longer and sharper. It most definately IS in greater effect lz>under the full moon, but that is not a necessary factor. lz>Usually, the condition is hereditary, although there are lz>other ways of becoming infected. Some early signs of lz>Lycanthropy could be incessant hunger (usually for very rare lz>meats), an increasingly bad temper, a growing feeling of lz>disassociation with the human race. My wife tells me those lz>are the same signs as PMS... :-) Well, I don't know who my biological parents are, and even my bio-father was completely absent throughout my birth and adoption, at least my mother dosen't seem to mind being around people, sheesh! I hear what she looked like, but never heard about my father. I always had a bad temper, and never cared much for most of mankind, though it does serve some purpose... Rare meats? Well, I like raw squid and cuttlefish, does that count? I kinda figured that the movies were a little different than reality, maybe it was the light-sabre scene in Return of the Jedi, no? lz>Please don't take this wrong, but you may be letting yourself lz>be influenced by the wilderness, the name of the creek (which lz>IS pretty obvious), and maybe by a secret need to escape... lz>Lord knows I have quite often wished that I was a vampire, lz>and at one time even believed that I may be one for almost lz>the same reasons. lz>I have never actually seen a werewolf, so I cannot personally lz>attest to their actuallt existing, but I have seen many lz>things which are not easily explained. My advice to you is lz>that if you continue to feel that you are becoming a lz>werewolf, look for help anywhere you can find it... and I lz>will try to be here for you, also. Well, it's not just at the creek, but it has happened more and stronger in the wilderness areas of Oregon. Also, I find that I can sort of "communicate" with dogs (and wolves), and they "understand." Does this mean anything significant, or am I becoming the next "son of sam"? Also, when I am around dogs/wolves alone, I tend to act very beastial, and the creature affected reacts likewise, so I guess that if I am just gradually becoming a wolf, I've got the body language parts down OK. Maybe this dosen't make any rational sense, but then, none of what I'm going through does, does it? --Alph Wolf 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Mike Sinclair 4 May 94 00:02:00 Subject: Elections? UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. namaste mike, MS> Brisbane midsummer can get to around 36. (96F) Our MS> temps here are much more even than the southern states. MS> I have seen 46 (116F) one year in Adelaide. I recall ouch, that is hot! (though not too unusual in l.a., unfortunately). i've been recently wondering how cold auckland is in the winter. when i was there in the fall last year, i definitely didn't pack enough warm clothes. MS> 93:9697/101 on PODS or 3:640/219 on Fido. MS> Alternately , my postal is P.O. Box 591. Archerfield, Qld. 4108. Aust. i will netmail you my address. thanks! MS> Tantric thinking is not quite so easy. What is easy is MS> that you "blow" it........ *:-) However she is a so, i take it that you didn't mention 'tantra' in your ads? have you tried just putting it in the ad from the get-go? MS> company so kinda switched on in plenty ways. 157 cms. MS> and 50 kgs. Ummm..... 5' 2" and 8 stone to you. LOL, nope, we don't 'do' kgs, and i'm afraid we don't 'do' 'stone' either. (it made grocery shopping while 'down under' an interesting experience---bad enough dealing with the exchange rate, let alone adding in converting from kgs to pounds! but, it does sound like you and your lady friend are off to a good start. :) MS> Lean, small and fit. Sound like a good start ? MS> Hehehehehehe ! WahHoowwwellll. !! Or should it be LOL, keep us updated on how the 'tantra topic' goes. MS> Kayla, it is a very pleasant place to be. It has an MS> intellectual satisfaction that is just not available in MS> Christianity. The book I mentioned is a very reasonable MS> intro. (Open Heart, Clear Mind) There are also some somehow, over the last few years, since i became a thelemite, buddhism has become difficult for me, somehow. though crowley studied buddhism rather intensively, and some understanding of it would be helpful to understanding crowley, i've had a hard time reading any of it. OTOH, i have been really drawn to the hinduism tantric stuff. but, maybe i will give some buddhist lit. another go. i didn't realize that vajrayana was the mainstream buddhist sect. and for that matter, i guess i'm pretty unaware about their underlying philosophy, etc. it seems like there are alot of varieties of buddhism, yes? MS> Auckland is only about 2000 kms from Brisbane. One of hmm, well given that i haven't booked a ticket yet, perhaps i will look into this. thanks again! i'm out of room, so i will see you next post. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Mike Sinclair 4 May 94 00:14:54 Subject: Elections? UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. hi again, mike! MS> do you do and about how long have you been on the planet. i'm a psychotherapist, and i've been on the planet for 31 years. KB> Love is the law, love under will. MS> What a lovely place to be. MMmm? Hmmmmmmm.........! What IS your path ? LOL, i practice western ceremonial magick, primarily of the thelemic variety. don't know if you are familiar with thelema, but it does tend to incorporate tantra, (among other things) into it. i suppose that's why there are so many thelemites hanging out in the 'tantra' and 'sex magick' subs. namaskar, --k-- 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718