From: silveroak Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 15 Apr 94 00:03:00 Subject: Re: greenhouse UpdReq As regards greenhouse, I've always considered the concept to be a human ego-trip. To seriously believe that one species could accidentelly destroy everything Nature has borne over the millenia is a little off the wall. To Believe that the youngest species cold do so is laughable. Nature has been working for billions of year, and has survived every possible genetic mutation on a viable life form to arrise in that time. Human science has been around for 3,000 years, and only really developed in the last 1,500. Human science appears to be in it's adolecent growth spurt, or perhaps a little past it now. When the two are in conflict, bet heavilly on good old Gaia. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: ARAIGUMA Area: Mundane To: THOMAS IZAGUIRRE 12 Apr 94 00:34:00 Subject: GOLDWATERS COMES OUT OF T UpdReq -=> Quoting Thomas Izaguirre to All <=- The post got garbled in an odd way... TI> matter between a woman and her doctor, and recently declared the TI> military ban on TI> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ TI> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Planned TI> Parenthood. The social tensions of the 60's may have forced Goldwater But the result, at the end, is delightfully felicitous... TI> gays to be totally nonsensical. I remember a little over a decade ago TI> when one of the Catholic newspaper at my church tried to get a fow TI> started against him by showing that he has been a member of, and TI> continues to be one of his state's (Arizona) biggest contributors to, TI> --Cthulhu for President--If You Are Tried of Choosing the Lesser of TI> Two Evils! Araiguma ... Thou shalt eat green eggs and ham - obey thy God, I-am-that-I-am. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: ALBERTUS MAGNUS 12 Apr 94 22:20:00 Subject: Re: GREENHOUSE UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Albertus Magnus to Gwenny The Pooh ... AM> And the man is correct, because there -is- ample evidence that the AM> "ozone hole" ebbs and flows and comes and goes. At any rate, there's AM> also evidence that demonstrates that there is another series of AM> 'pollutants' that are reflecting heat away from the earth at about AM> the same rate that the greenhouse gasses are trapping it. So best AM> estimates say that the whole thing is entirely overblown. er... have you ever seen a formulaic demonstration of what happens when a CFC reacts with ozone? It's not a pretty picture... the molecule that forms is very unstable and keeps breaking apart and reacting with more ozone until it bumps into one of it's own and stabilizes. Even if production of ozone depleting products halted today, it would take quite a while until it all finished rising into the atmosphere and reacting with ozone. For those given to formulae, the chloride atom from the chlorofluorocarbon (Cl-) reacts with ozone (O3) which forms O2 (oxygen) and ClO-. The ClO- reacts with ozone to form two O2's and Cl-. This chain continues until the Cl- bumps into another Cl- and forms Cl2, a stable molecule. So the ozone gets eaten up. Ironically, the nasty layer of yuck that forms over such places as LA is due the creation of our own little ozone layer. Hypothetically, we could boost the stuff up to the proper atmospheric layer and all would be well. Heh... would be nice... but nobody's thought of that one yet ;) Regarding the apparent ebb and flow of the hole. It seems that during one of the seasons (I don't know which one... opposite seasons for each pole) the winds that normally form a vortex around the poles and keep the atmosphere nice and distributed die down, so that the ozone "hole" becomes readily apprarent to anyone looking for such a thing. When the winds are going, the concentration of ozone is more evenly spaced, though "thinner" than it would be without the depletion. I'd say it's real alright. *BB* -l ... Listen to reason? That always means what someone else has to say ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Liana 14 Apr 94 10:55:08 Subject: Re. Kitchen Witch UpdReq LI> AL> But I really love the "kitchen Witch" feeling of using Grandmother's > AL> rolling pin for a wand! LI>It's neat, especially because I have memories of her using it to bake (I >love to bake, especially quick breads). To Betty Crocker, may she continue >to thrive! "Betty Crocker"? No way! MY grandmother didn't use mixes! (Although my mother did.) I prefer to do it the hard way, with flour, butter, sugar, milk, baking powder, etc. I do a lot with yeast breads; that's one of the "ancestral" skills in my family. I also do good corn muffins, baking powder biscuits (you *do* use lard for the shortening, don't you?), pancakes, and popovers. Another "ancestral" recipe/skill is pie crust (which is what the rolling pin suggested to me); again, it really does come out better if you use lard, no matter how politically incorrect pigfat might be. I also do cakes; I learned to decorate from my mother, who did it semi-professionally, although my "style" is completely different from hers. I'm doing a semi-mundane wedding cake in May, and a handfasting cake in June. Good cooking is equal parts science and magick anyway...and I've always been good at both... SLMR 2.0 Chocolate...it isn't just for breakfast any more! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Gregh Area: Mundane To: Ace Lightning 12 Apr 94 22:30:00 Subject: Slmr UpdReq 04-04-94 14:33 ==> Ace Lightning to Spider re: SLMR AL> 3.0. (My-husband-the-programmer brought home several different AL> "professional" terminal pgms; I didn't like ANY of them. I'm too lazy AL> to open a whole file for each number I want to dial, especially when I AL> want to just cycle through a whole list of numbers until ONE of them AL> answers!) Oh yes, I can feel for this. We use `professional' software at work. TeleReplica and Co-Session. Yuk. TeleReplica has to be the most user unfriendly modem software I've ever met. It's awkward to use and not very flexible, and it's not even particularly good at what it does. At present I use RIPTerm. Well, at least it's pretty anyway. :) I've just finished setting up BNU and FrontDoor in case any of the Sysops who've offered ever get around to actually carrying through on their offers of pointhood. I was astonished: after unpacking the various files and setting up the directories, installing BNU in my autoexec, compiling the nodelist, etc, I ran the program ... and the bloody thing worked! First time, too, though I had probs with FDNC and think that as a result my FD is suffering the delusion that *it* is the BBS I got the info from. I still need a mail tosser and I haven't yet written the scripts or batch files to make it all hang together and work while I sleep. All in good time. I've not yet dared use it to dial a BBS; not game to till I know I have someone who knows what they're doing watching me arrive at the other end, ready to rescue things if I stuff up. So I don't know how successful my installation has been. But it all works locally. Pretty Mundane stuff to old timers, I guess, but it's all new and bemusing to me. ... Is the Sysop looking? No? Great, now I ca ... NO CARRIER ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Star Hawk Area: Mundane To: Albertus Magnus 15 Apr 94 15:17:30 Subject: greenhouse UpdReq [> Gwenny The Pooh [> BTW, Wild Hunter's father lead the Antarctic [> Expedition for a number of years, and he says there is evidence that [> a hole is the ozone is a naturally reoccuring phenomena.... [> Albertus Magnus [> And the man is correct, because there -is- ample [> evidence that the "ozone hole" ebbs and flows and comes and goes. At [> any rate, there's also evidence that demonstrates that there is [> another series of 'pollutants' that are reflecting heat away from [> the earth at about the same rate that the greenhouse gasses are [> trapping it. So best estimates say that the whole thing is entirely [> overblown. And it tells me that the process isn't fully understood and needs a whole lot more study before making conclusions about outcomes. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Nightstar Area: Mundane To: Drui 13 Apr 94 15:23:12 Subject: Re:PATH EVALUATION GUIDE UpdReq I know the Greek story of replacing each board of a ship with another. What I tend to think of as creating a new path would be more in terms of tearing down a house and building a boat out of the pieces. This might also include taking the remains of some other structure and converting them to a new use, possibly through reforging. None of the material is new. It has simply been reworked to make something "new". Think of it as recycling. My comment regarding the Evaluation guide and mixing and matching is along these lines. If I take a door hinge off this house and mount it on the stern of the boat I am making in order to hold the rudder, I have not changed the hinge itself. I have found a clear use for it in what I am building. The guide does not make a clear distinction between this kind of application and simply mixing and matching for no real reason than personal whimsy (although it could be argued that building a boat out of pieces of a house is personal whimsy, I would argue for Noah.) As for the comment regarding change and stagnation, perhaps you are right in that we should never have come down from the trees let alone out of the ocean. However, I suspect at the time, the desire to survive prompted us to make these dicisions. When I spoke of change, I really should have used the word growth. The message has since been deleted but I think I did as well. When I speak of change(growth) and stagnation especially in terms of a spiritual path, I tend to think of maturity and understanding. It is not possible for us to not move forward for time does not stand still but forever passes by us. But it is possible to move forward in a backwards direction. This requires desire, knowledge, and understanding. Otherwise you will find yourself being carried headlong by the currents that be towards the fall that must surely come. In refrence to the Evaluation guide, I commented on a person changing in their path. As a solitairy neo-pagan, I have grown and matured over the years and as a result have quite drastically changed. But this is change as a result of growth, not because others on the path (which in my case are none) say I should change. My comment to you earlier was that it is not always easy to clearly differentiate between changes as a result of growth along one's spiritual path and changes forced upon you by others. They may look the same on the surface, but it is what's inside that counts. Nightstar 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Farrell McGovern Area: Mundane To: Nightstar 14 Apr 94 09:42:58 Subject: Re:PATH EVALUATION GUIDE UpdReq On Apr 13 15:23 94, Nightstar of 93:9631/7 wrote: N> I know the Greek story of replacing each board of a ship N> with another. What I tend to think of as creating a new N> path would be more in terms of tearing down a house and N> building a boat out of the pieces. This might also include N> taking the remains of some other structure and converting N> them to a new use, possibly through reforging. None of the N> material is new. It has simply been reworked to make N> something "new". Think of it as recycling. N> My comment regarding the Evaluation guide and mixing and N> matching is along these lines. If I take a door hinge off N> this house and mount it on the stern of the boat I am making N> in order to hold the rudder, I have not changed the hinge N> itself. I have found a clear use for it in what I am N> building. The guide does not make a clear distinction N> between this kind of application and simply mixing and N> matching for no real reason than personal whimsy (although N> it could be argued that building a boat out of pieces of a N> house is personal whimsy, I would argue for Noah.) N> N> As for the comment regarding change and stagnation, N> perhaps you are right in that we should never have come down N> from the trees let alone out of the ocean. However, I N> suspect at the time, the desire to survive prompted us to N> make these dicisions. N> When I spoke of change, I really should have used the N> word growth. The message has since been deleted but I think N> I did as well. When I speak of change(growth) and stagnation N> especially in terms of a spiritual path, I tend to think of N> maturity and understanding. It is not possible for us to N> not move forward for time does not stand still but forever N> passes by us. But it is possible to move forward in a N> backwards direction. This requires desire, knowledge, and N> understanding. Otherwise you will find yourself being N> carried headlong by the currents that be towards the fall N> that must surely come. N> In refrence to the Evaluation guide, I commented on a N> person changing in their path. As a solitairy neo-pagan, I N> have grown and matured over the years and as a result have N> quite drastically changed. But this is change as a result of N> growth, not because others on the path (which in my case are N> none) say I should change. My comment to you earlier was N> that it is not always easy to clearly differentiate between N> changes as a result of growth along one's spiritual path and N> changes forced upon you by others. They may look the same N> on the surface, but it is what's inside that counts. N> Nightstar N> -!- msgedsq 2.0.4 N> ! Origin: Sourcery! A cyber-magick point of view (93:9631/7) ----------------------------------------------------------------- Greetings: The above message was found in the METAPHYSICAL echo. The Metaphysical Echo is for *Magazine Style Posts ONLY*. If you want to respond to an article posted in METAPHYSICAL, please do so in either Magicknet (for Magickal oriented subjects) or Mundane, whichever is appropriate. Failure to do so after repeated warnings can eventually result in your being barred from these echos. If you have any problems with this, then respond in the Mundane echo. Thank you for you compliance, Farrell McGovern /Magicknet Moderator Magicknet Trio - Mundane \Metaphysical I am also reachable on Usenet/Internet at: farrellj@pinetree.org farrellj@rubicon.org 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Christeos Pir 15 Apr 94 02:25:56 Subject: Hello UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. i have just about finished putting together some stuff to mail to you. but, i keep thinking that there is something that i said that i would send, that i'm forgetting about. was there something that i promised to send that you can remember? also, was it you, or was it ar aakhu-t who said that he was 'so-so' on middle eastern music? (i know that it was one of you.) for this mailing, i just put together some stuff that i really enjoy, and i'm hoping for the best, that you'll like the stuff too. :) TTYL! Love is the law, love under will. (PS. 'hi alma!') ---kayla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lt. Commander Zargon Area: Mundane To: Alpha Wolf 13 Apr 94 01:07:22 Subject: Re: LYCANTHROPY UpdReq I have spent most of my life studying the vampire, but in my studies have come across the werewolf many times. What kind of info are you looking for? Lt. Commander Zargon ... Hey! Let go of my shoestring! You stupid snake! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Spider Area: Mundane To: Rose Dawn 14 Apr 94 10:17:10 Subject: Secret Society/Gangs Policy UpdReq I finally got my hands on the actual text of that proposed rule (thanks to a local zine, -Homemade Tragedies-). Some parts aren't as bad as I had heard, but some are even more ridiculous. Would you like me to post it? Spider 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718