From: Valkyrie Area: Mundane To: All 18 Mar 94 19:43:00 Subject: Norse Magic UpdReq There has been some discussion on starting a "Norse Magic" echo which would be open to discussion of all things Norse or Northern, from runes to ritual, historical or modern, including but not limited to Tolkein, Thorsson, and even D.J. Conway.... If you would be interested in participating or would like to see an echo like this on PODS, please contact Valkyrie, or Herb Mitchell at Sidhe Mail (206) 241-7899 or netmail 93:9400/1734. Wassail, VInternet: valkyrie@eskimo.com SLMR 2.1a Green by Urth's well does it ever grow Voluspa 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Christeos Pir 19 Mar 94 03:30:42 Subject: What the. . . ? #3 UpdReq 93 christoes! (there, you can have your 'toes'. feel better now?) CP> "Columbia College, Chicago" in -for some odd reason- Chicago. really! i would have thought it would be in south america. };-] CP> What I wanted to do at the time was what has since become the music CP> video industry: I thought that the next phase would be bands releasing CP> laserdisks with both music and, well, video. As I said, the kind of wow! sounds like you had some vision of the future. i'm not familiar with jodorowski. should i be? CP> Not at all. I'm working for the local power company. I'm the one out CP> there at 3 am in the dead of February, wrestling with 20,000 volts on oooh, brrrrr....you must really have fun with the kind of winter you have been having this year. :( KB> 40 day thingy? (i must have missed this one.) CP> Y'know: you gotta get your application in 40 days prior to the CP> scheduled initiation date? oh, that 40 day thingy. (until pretty recently, there used to be some ways around this. so, i guess i forgot about it.) 93, ---kayla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: David Arnold Area: Mundane To: Spider 18 Mar 94 19:19:02 Subject: Welp... UpdReq Spider to Rose Dawn: > hopefully it'll get changed before it goes into effect (then > again, I never thought the "son of measure nine" laws would > pass, either). > Spider oh no! i missed that..what're these mini measure 9 laws?! i was relieved 9 didn't pass and saw it as a good sign that even some of the normally-closed-minded were even scared that *their* rights might be impinged on next, and that's one of the reasons 9 failed. so is this a separate pocket in Oregon or state-wide? a small group here in Douglas County tried that, but it failed to get on the Douglas ballot. again, here, many people who were anti-gay wouldn't vote for it. i'm sure there will always be more who keep trying. why don't they find something useful and productive to do with their lives, instead of going around whining about other people's lives? david 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Frater Almost Area: Mundane To: Kalzen Entrop 18 Mar 94 00:20:22 Subject: Re: AHA! UpdReq Hmmm.... Funny.... I always thought the first step was to become proficient in Hebrew. ;) Seriously, as a good and dear brother of mine has said numerous times in print, they who wait until they have the ritual down perfect before they do it will never do the ritual. ;) <> Hey, if you're good at your banishments (Pentagramm and hexagram) and you Pentagram invocations, you should have no problem. ;) I recommend the pronunciation given in _Liber Chanokh_. :) But that'd be me. ;) IAO I U PAX M O XCIII 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: Mundane To: Christeos Pir 18 Mar 94 08:54:04 Subject: Re: DRESS CODES UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. > Aside: watching Hollywood Babylon on VH-1... it ain't as much fun as > Ken's books, but hey, it beats the slimy nudgenudge attitude of Current > Affair, etc. And watching Tony Curtis try to figure out the TelePrompter is *so* much fun! > Between that and it being Monday, I'm liable to be kinda rank tonight, > so be forewarned. Wow! It's Friday before the Equinox here...and the day before...YOU KNOW WHAT! Hehehehe. So be warned: *I'm* liable to be kinda 'bubbly' or somethin. :> Can't even seem to work up a good ire over the subject of dress codes. Thanks for posting the message for me; I've gotten AMER's address & am writing to them. I think it sounds like an organization worthy of support whether they can assist in my little local hassle or not, so it's doubly appreciated. Tam went with me to a local 'magick store' (books & jewellry & schtuff) and while we were checking out their selection she pointed at a silver Isis pendant and said "I wonder if THAT would be occult symbolism?" We ended up talking with the owner, and a member of his group who happened to be in the store got into the convo--she has kids in two different schools in another district, and there's no "occult" clause in either of the dress codes. Anyway, after I'm done being busy I thought it might be a plan of sorts to check with the various local districts & see just how many of them have that kind of thing included. > Occasionally. There's still a bit of the other from time to time. I > don't know why it bugs me, since Gods know I'm guilty as the next of > straying off-topic in various echos, but there's just something about > the "college-puke-cruising-for-another-notch-on-my-rubber" thing that > bothers me bigtime... must be from having lived in a college town full > of fratrats and sorority bitches. Hmmm...weird, because I never lived in a college town, and I also stray pretty far afield topic-wise from time to time, and it bugs me too. Maybe because if you say 'sex magick' to people who've never practiced/studied/heard of it, they tend to (a) freak or (b) snigger, and when people you'd think would take the matter seriously act the same way it's...disheartening? Besides, there are already 'adult' echos for "Hi, my name is Joe, I'm 6'1" and looking for a..." type posts! > Oh yeah, must be one of those scholarly studies from Pat Robertson or > something. In a completely different context, a local Frater recently reminded me of the pamphlet about "Protect Your Child From The Occult!" put out by the Sandy Eggo Sheriffs a year back or so...I was into 'activist mode' at the time and raised a lot of local fuss and awareness about it. Don't know how much (if any) practical good came out of my bitching, but the pamphlets disappeared from all the local 7-11's and I forget what other 'major outlet' they were stocking, and a Wiccan dude went on the local news to rebut the "occult" section of this "child lures" special they'd been running daily for a week as a direct result. (That particular segment was directly based on the pamphlet.) So (a) I can raise hell when I want to, no pun intended and (b) for some reason SD Co. seems to be a hotbed of sorts of anti-occult sentiments. Oh! I'm rambling... > Good point. No sense cutting off your nose to spite her face, or > something like that. Vice-versa I'd think...anyway, we talked & she's still getting bombarded with cute stuff like "Why do you worship Satan?" and "Have you sacrificed any puppies lately?" etc., so she's righteously pissed & ready to come out swinging. A ridiculous amount of fuss over a pair of earrings you can buy for 99 cents at the local drugstore! But o'course there's a larger issue at hand...it just strikes me as so silly sometimes. I have a T-shirt I got at the Air & Space Museum or the Smith', forget which, last time I visited DeeCee, with the solar system on a black background. That's as much "occult symbolism" as the "pentagram" earrings, y'know what I mean? > be to attack a particular problem, for another, it may be to try to > fundamentally change our whole society -- in such a case, it seems to > me that working to expand Thelema through such groups as the OTO is the > logical choice. I'll buy that! Wish I'd written it on my last application, in fact! Can't remember what I did write, but I'm sure that would've sounded better. ;> > I meant a Gnostic Mass, but as I've told her, I want her to check > everything out and decide what's right _for her_. She's hesitant about > the Xian thing, just because she knows how I feel (and how sarcastic I > can get, I guess), but I've told her to look into everything and make > up her _own_ mind in what direction her path may lie. (I was unkind > enough to point out that that is precisely the kind of freedom that > Thelemites stand for, and that many Xians stand against.) I thought I felt that way, till Tam had her flirtation with the Dreaded Church of Christ last year...I don't think my unease came from a real anti-Christian bias, but more from the *strong* feeling that she had no inclination toward the religion itself, but wanted to please her Dad by going; the knowledge that the particular church was intensely anti- lots of things I strongly support; and the fear that she'd get "sucked in" and it would drive us apart. In the end, she made up her own mind once they trotted out the "thou shalt not's", but if ...hmm, lost my train there completely. :/ Incoherent behind a 'joy overdose' or something. The sorrows are but as shadows! :> > She's the one who has to remind me to do Will before meals, because > it for some reason just has never become habitual yet. And we've > started doing Resh together. The other day we were driving back home > from her piano class around 7 pm, and she said, "Sun's going down... > shouldn't you be saying something?" Yesterday she asked me to print I love it! Kids are great. :> We've never gotten into the 'Will' habit either, I think mostly cuz we hardly ever have 'formal meals.' We were doing it for a while, but lapsed, and I don't think it's one of the 'keepers,' really. Smacks of something thrown together to take the place of "Grace" *to me*...I realize it's supposed to be lots more than that, but there's a real forced quality when we've done Will that isn't there when we do Resh together fer-instance, or just sit around blabbing about 'stuff.' When I first started adding the adorations part after the "Hail unto Thee" part, Tam would stand nearby with a copy of AL, ready to prompt me when I forgot something. (Sotto voce: 'The light is mine...c'mon Ma!') She had a hilarious little stand-up routine around the L.V.X. signs, and after we meditated with Master Yak-San & his crew recently, started comparing the "Truth of Il-Won Sang" with Nuit and 0=2 and all kinds of profoundly bizarre, or bizarrely profound things. OK, so, in spite of all the horrors of adolescence, having kids around really DOES add something to one's practices! I'll look for Alma's cousin...thanks for the inadvertent heads-up; I haven't called the L.A. office to tell them I moved, so A.I.M. has out-of-date info on me--no newsletter, and if I "go down and am incapacitated" my "people" won't "know how to get with me!" :o (Making note to give em a call.) Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Judy Area: Mundane To: Grendel Grettisson 19 Mar 94 10:45:14 Subject: This Echo UpdReq > Since the moderator, Farrell McGovern, doesn't seem to have been paying > too close attention here lately, allow me to step into his shoes for a > moment and say: > ***** THIS ECHO IS FOR MAGAZINE-STYLE POSTS ONLY!!! ***** > "Chat" type messages, including responses to articles/essays posted > here, > should be directed to either Magicknet or Mundane, depending on their > nature. GG> Funny, this IS mundane... This message, along with several others originally posted in Metaphysical, mysteriously showed up here in Mundane... I guess when Farrell remembered he was moderator and decided to put his shoes back on. Lucky thing he was reminded. Metaphysical was almost an active echo for a while. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Richard W. Handel Area: Mundane To: Kayla Block 20 Mar 94 10:55:12 Subject: Schools and files Sent UpdReq Hi Kayla, Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. RWH> Well things are going great! I received an offer for RWH> the Clinical Ph.D. program at Hofstra University RWH> today. I'm flying to Kent State in Ohio this weekend RWH> for an interview. It feels great to have at least one RWH> offer on the table. Anyway, "talk" to you soon! KB> congratulations!!! where is hofstra? what are KB> your first choice programs? how long do you have KB> before needing to notify a school that you're KB> accepting? KB> i'm excited for you! Thanks! I'm really excited myself. Hofstra is on Long Island about 20 miles or so from Manhattan. They have a good program APA approved of course. Actually the program that caught my interest the most was a school called IUP in western pennsylvania. The faculty members were really open minded and very non-traditional. The only problem is that it is a Psy.D. program. I'm sure the Ph.D.'s in academia look down on the Psy.D. degree. I finished my interview with Kent State. I really liked the campus. However, the faculty seemed a little too traditional for me. I sould have all of my offers (hopefully, there will be more than one!) by April 1st. I have to make a decision by April 15th. Onto the next topic... There have not been any new files added to the TGD file area in quite a while. However, David should be mailing me a disk pretty soon that has some new material on it for the files section. If Mysteria is no longer carrying it, I'll mail you a copy of the disk. Love is the law, love under will. Fraternally, Richard 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Frater Almost Area: Mundane To: David Arnold 20 Mar 94 11:13:28 Subject: 93 Sent UpdReq 93 is hardly "randomly" significant. It is thrice 31 which is "AL" (God) or "LA" (not) or by their tarot trump numbers "ShT" (Set) or LAShTAL or the Holy Trinity. 93 is gematria for "THELEMA" and for "AGAPE." It has other significant uses as well. }B-> IAO I U PAX M O XCIII 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Frater Almost Area: Mundane To: Rose Dawn 20 Mar 94 11:25:16 Subject: Dress Codes?!?!?! Sent UpdReq Hmmm.... Sounds like Tam is having a tough time, eh Rose? Give her my best. I know how those asses can be at schools: A kid with a slight interest in anything "non-Christian" suddenly becomes the school devil worshipper (whatever that may be) and then it's trips to the guidance counselors office, trips to the principal's office, trips to see various teachers, whenever something "weird" happens she's the on ws stared at, etc. Well, let her let 'em have it! Tam could probably play off the "weird" pretty well and in the process really screw some people in thee mind. }B-> I mean c'mon!... the girl (young woman these days if I'm not mistaken) could probably scare the living bejeebers out of those fuddy-duddy fundies. ;) I could see it now: Tam walks into her school wearing all black (no "occult symbolism" just all black), walks up to someone she barely knows and says to them, "Beware the ides of the bus driver" walks off and pretty soon you have a whole lot of kida who refuse to ride the busses! (Or I'm getting too carried away... at any rate, it's something I would've done as a kid.) I mean she's smart... let her wreak her havoc! When they call you up for a conference, what are you going to do? Be the "troubled" mom? (NO! Of course not! Not you! you're Rose... the Light of my Life! ) Or will you look at them sternly and seriously and say in that Roseann Arnold voice the customary, "So?" I vote on the latter. }B-> Tam will be okay... Personally, between the two of you (that wonderful mother-daughter tag team action) I don't see why the school board and the superintendant don't just surrender. }B-> IAO P U IAO M X XCIII 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Frater Almost Area: Mundane To: Richard W. Handel 20 Mar 94 11:36:22 Subject: Schools and files Sent UpdReq Psy.D eh? Go for the Ph.D... It is more "traditional" and whatever you do (for AL's sake!) don't even consider setteling for an Ed.D! Talk about a waste of time! I'm looking into Ph.D programs at Purdue, U. of Arizona, and SOuth Carolina. It'll be about another year before I'm really ready to be finished with my bachelor's degree but it is very good to begin planning out your strategy now. Hey! Maybe we should try to land gradschool near each otheer or in towns with large Thelemic populations! Wow! A new fraternity/sorortiy: "Omicron Tau Omicron." I can see it... NOT!!!! }B-> IAO I U PAX M O XCIII 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718