From: Diva Area: Mundane To: Teejay 3 Mar 94 09:49:16 Subject: Dinkaholics*Anon UpdReq Right, TeeJay! Worry not, my friendly fiend. And, never be confused...be CURIOUS. Check ya when you got the chance! Love ya.. Diva 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Diva Area: Mundane To: Teejay 3 Mar 94 09:52:04 Subject: Dinka*doo Redux UpdReq Oh, no prob! Really, no prob. And if youre in the midst of things, I wouldn't think of interrupting a genius at work! Nevah! I still think yer cool as well, Teej!!!!! Love ya again! Diva 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Teejay Area: Mundane To: Diva 4 Mar 94 03:49:48 Subject: Dinkaholics*Anon UpdReq Hey... I AM curious: What am I doing here at 4:00am?! Whay am I not in bed, when I KNOW I've gotta be up and out collecting CD's tomorrow morning? What is the meaning of life? What is the meaning of ALL of this?!! Ahhh, I'll take my own advice & crash. I'll chat witcha next week, okay? Enjoy the incoming, meanwhile. Happy Valentine's day!! Toodles. TJ 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Vivienne Area: Mundane To: Valkyrie 3 Mar 94 23:37:06 Subject: Re: Magic...a Card Game!! UpdReq As afar as MTG goes up here. We have a reasonable selection, well good enough to have my husband buy out the stock of his favourite hobby shop and gave me some for Christmas, in my stocking. It seems to have a very good following too. Especially for a FASA product, finally putting TSR to shame. Any other tid bits on the game will be appreciated, I D/L your previous postings on MTG and saved it for my husband who then copied the strategies down. He then took off down the driveway printouts and game in hand, muttering words to the effect that he'd be back later... well that was several weeks ago, so it must've been a great strategy... B.b. ViVienne (and Brian) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Nightstar Area: Mundane To: Drui 1 Mar 94 23:25:18 Subject: request for aid UpdReq In a message between Drui and Any Of All, they were heard to say: D> Now - so OK, I admit it, the wizard is me, there are two D> questions the D> wizard would like help answering, much much more simple than D> quedstions D> about things like how the eco-system of a civilisation helpd D> determine its D> cosmology: D> 1) why do the people think HE (and his friend wizards up in D> the tower) D> are "bigots" because they want to talk about such things, and the D> people D> don't consider themselves equally so for scorning such topics? D> 2) should he climb back up the tower and he and his friends D> just go on D> as they were before he tried coming down? Good questions. I thought this confrence was devoted to those things precisely. Let me tell you a little story about a different wizard. Long ago, there was a sorceress with a magic mirror. And with her magic mirror, she communicated to many other sorcerers and sorceresses who also had magic mirrors. Slowly, other sorcerers and sorceresses were getting magic mirrors and so one said that they should each get three magic mirrors, one so they could talk about mundane things, one so they could talk about magick but not the theoretical, philisophical, or metaphysical things, and one for essays as it were, on the more theoretical or metaphysical things. All agreed and they all got their mirrors. Then this sorceress moved and in the process, lost her beloved magic mirrors. Then, years later, she made herself some new ones to allow her to talk to all her old friends again. Except now her friends were gone, no longer speaking on the magic mirrors. Instead, other people were using the mirrors. But the same three mirrors existed as before and so she connected her mirrors to them magically. Only the "essay" mirror was not being used that way and the other two mirrors were too clutterred to bother with. The sorceress is of course me. I was around when magicknet was one echo and during the discussion that led to the "three-headed monster". I moved and lost my computer access. Now I own my own. This was the place to discuss exactly what you wish to discuss. I got this echo specifically for that reason. However, like internet news-groups and other fido-net echoes, as an unmoderated confrence (at least that's the way it seems), it has fallen into disrepair. I do not think you a snob or bigot because you wish to discuss such things. I admit some here might call me such as well although I only conceed to being an information sponge. Assuming there is a moderator which there's suppose to be, what do you suppose happenned to him that he's no longer doing his job? Do you think he died or something? The others here will hate it if we try to elect another moderator who will enforce the rules instead of letting them go on lacksidaisily. This is PODS after all, not FIDOnet. Do you think we should start a new confrence? In time, unless we keep a firm handle on it, it too will fall to the same fate. However, we might be able to enjoy it until then. After that, we could always start another confrence. If we did start a new confrence, what should we call it? What should the rules be? Who should moderate it? How should we enforce the rules? BTW, I am very interested in how the eco-system of a civilization helps determine the cosmology. I'm currently planning to take a degree in anthropology and this is right up my alley. From out of the darkness, ... Nightstar 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Drui Area: Mundane To: Nightstar 2 Mar 94 03:02:02 Subject: snobs 1/ UpdReq Snobs? Oh I get called lots worse than that! When I edited Cainteanna na Luise 1984-1990, people would take out subscriptions and receiving their first issue their reaction would be either: 1) "this is vile elitist trash - cancel me"; or 2) "this is wonderful, I want all the back issues!" Almost nobody was inbetween. I'd get hate mail, and other people wanting multiple subscriptions for their friends. Of course, since the National Library of Ireland was in the "send copies of everything" camp, I have my own opinion about "who was what" in this polarization.... but I admit, I have the habit of doing this. Put it down to my Irish nature: a friend who lives in Ireland has said "in Canada somethings are awful and somethings are wonderful, but most things are in the middle and neither; in Ireland, somethings are absolutely terrible and somethings are totally marvelous and there's NOTHING left in the middle at all!" ('T'is true!) For example, follows a "recorded announceent": Please, when addressing me could you omit the ">quote"s. I remember what I say, even when I exchange letters with several people simultaneously with sometimes months between replies. The ">quote"s make your reply a great deal MORE difficult to read; one has to play leap-frog over them. Besides, if a person can't remember what s/he says, it must not be important (or witty) enough for anyone else to bother with. When I answer others I give them the respect of assuming they had something to say which they thought important and know what they say; I ask only that I be accorded the same respect. Computers can be a great help in developing one's mind, or they can be used just as easily to atrope it, or to brain-wash it into "conventional" ways of mentally reacting. Not remembering what one says is the latter. Every English composition course in existance stresses "avoid repeating". And as for "convention", it qualifies as one of Emerson's "hobgobblins of little minds". We could start a planet-net revolution right here - The Revolt of People Who Know What They Said. All messages could begin-reference with ONLY ">> Continued to next message ___ X SLMR 2.0 X 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Jermiin Area: Mundane To: Drui 28 Feb 94 19:11:00 Subject: request for aid UpdReq Hello Drui! 26 Feb 94 02:26, Drui wrote to Any Of All: D> 1) why do the people think HE (and his friend wizards up in the tower) D> are "bigots" because they want to talk about such things, and the people D> don't consider themselves equally so for scorning such topics? D> 2) should he climb back up the tower and he and his friends just go on D> as they were before he tried coming down? Once long ago there was a large grey building. Inside this building lived two to three thousand sad people. They spent their days and nights inside this building, thinking or not thinking, doing or not doing, what they wished, and rarely ventured out. It was not by choice that these people lived within the grey building but for most it mattered little. The people living outside the grey building seldom thought about the sad people inside as this would only confuse and frighten them. You see the people living inside were not the same as the people living outside this was afterall why they built the grey building. There was a group who thought often about the fate of the sad grey people. These were the wizards in white. They devoted their lives to solving the problem of the grey people. Sometimes in their efforts to help they lost a grey person but this would only make them try harder and think deeper. It came to pass, after many years of thinking and many more experimenting, that the wizards in white developed many magick potions. So many magick potions that almost there was one for every person living in the grey building. These they gave to those that would drink and to them the wizards in white showed the door and said "go outside and join your fellow men as you are now the same". The wizards stood within the grey building well pleased with their work and said "Look at what we have achieved, where once there was two to three thousand sad people there is now only a handful." On hearing this one of the remaining grey people remarked "Before we had two to three thousand sad people living inside and now we have two to three thousand sad people living outside.". Jermiin. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lynna Landstreet Area: Mundane To: Albertus Magnus 7 Feb 94 02:07:10 Subject: The Week in Death: Jan 1 UpdReq AM> We really truly love Nilsson's ``Put the Lime in the Coconut'' AM> or whatever it was called. And an FR recommends ``The Point'' LP AM> (yup, he said ``LP.'' Kinda dates him, don't it?), which contains the AM> song ``You've Broken My Heart, You've Torn It Apart, So F*ck You.'' No, it doesn't. The Point is an extended children's story about a little boy born with a round head in a country full of pointy-headed people. It's partly narrative and partly songs, and played a major role in my childhood musical development. (Look Mr. Moderator, I took my response to the right echo!) ___ * Freddie 1.2 * Accuse not nature, she hath done her part; do thou but thine. (John Milton) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lynna Landstreet Area: Mundane To: Thomas Izaguirre 7 Feb 94 02:07:12 Subject: AIDS Paranoia & Fascism UpdReq TI> The problem with the conspiracy theories is that they are the very TI> thing that can turn finding a cure into a side issue for the TI> vicarious thrill of finding out who blame for this disease can be TI> assigned to (CIA, Flouridation, etc.). Earth First!, for instance, TI> considers it a Gaia-send, Her vengeance upon technological man. Go TI> figure. Earth First!, being a large, diverse, decentralized movement with no leadership and no official doctrine, does not consider AIDS to be anything. A few individuals in Earth First! may hold the belief you mentioned (though only one that I've come across), but that is another thing entirely. Please don't generalize one person's opinions to thousands of others who may or may not share them. ___ * Freddie 1.2 * Accuse not nature, she hath done her part; do thou but thine. (John Milton) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lynna Landstreet Area: Mundane To: David Arnold 3 Mar 94 03:03:16 Subject: AIDS Paranoia & Fascist UpdReq DA> > Earth First!, for instance, considers it a Gaia- DA> > send, Her vengeance upon technological man. Go figure. DA> DA> one reason you don't want to go to a Queer Nation meeting and DA> mention you like Dave Foreman. Actually, one of the few people I've met who agreed with the above theory, as aired by the pseudonymous "Miss Ann Thropy" (who some think was really Foreman, but no one knows for sure) in the Earth First! Journal, was a good friend of mine, a gay activist who was at the time dying of AIDS. ___ * Freddie 1.2 * My task today is to stand for Nature against those who blaspheme Her and so wrong themselves. (Dion Fortune) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lynna Landstreet Area: Mundane To: Dragonrider 3 Mar 94 03:03:18 Subject: AIDS Paranoia & Fasci UpdReq D> So I take it Earth First is a 'fundy' type organization...though not D> christian.... No, Earth First! is, as I've said here before, a very large, diverse and decentralized (dis)organization with very little dogma and a wide range of opinions on AIDS and everything else. The theory Thomas mentioned, about AIDS being Gaia's revenge on technological man, was expressed by *one* writer in the Earth First! Journal, and is *not* the opinion of Earth First as a whole. ___ * Freddie 1.2 * My task today is to stand for Nature against those who blaspheme Her and so wrong themselves. (Dion Fortune) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Richard W. Handel 3 Mar 94 22:46:50 Subject: The Missing Post! UpdReq 93 richard, hmmm..i *have* seen this post before. i thought that i had replied to it. is it actually a missing reply, rather than a missing post? let me know. BTW, i just found out from phil, (the sysop here at mysteria) that david had asked that the TOGD sub be removed from novanet distribution. i was wondering who is carrying it, if not novanet? is it a PODS echo? 93, --kayla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Christeos Pir 3 Mar 94 22:49:36 Subject: What the. . . ? #3 UpdReq 93 christeos, CP> BTW, how ya doin'? Trip clear your head any? We could sure use CP> _something_, but it just isn't practical right now. Our current big CP> deal is trying to buy a new vehicle... though I think I'm gonna sink a getting out of town probably did clear my head, but unfortunately, if anything, it really made me realize just how much i need to move out of l.a. i have been thinking of moving to northern calif. for a long time, but it seems like i just need to do it, rather than think about it. how come you don't think you're going to make it to NOLA? (if you don't mind me being nosy.) is it because of needing a new vehicle? CP> couple of bills into keeping this old 'puter going another year or so CP> -- maybe some more memory and a bigger HD. i've been recently drooling over a set up that a friend of mine just bought. i've been trying to help him set it up, and it just about makes me froth at the mouth! but, i think i'm stuck with my clunker, (it's fairly new, but a discontinued model, and already a dinosaur!), for awhile longer. but, prices have been dropping like crazy, (especially for macintosh'es) and i hope i can get one within the year. say hello to alma for me! 93, ---kayla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: Mundane To: Christeos Pir 1 Mar 94 10:30:52 Subject: Re: DRESS CODES UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. > I've moved this conversation here, 'cause we were getting pretty far > away from Nightside stuff, I thought. Gracias. Hehe, although no less topical than plenty of threads I've seen therein. ;> > I've never had to do it, so I'm not really sure. There are probably > some around who can give you the benefit of their personal experience, > you might try the _Burning Times_ echo, and we could ask Grendel > -wasn't it he who posted the AMER info some time back?- or even Dr. > Aquino, who I believe is also involved with AMER. We don't get that echo here...it shouldn't be too difficult to get a contact address for AMER though. I wasn't sure if this type of situation fell under the 'things this organization is interested in' umbrella. Sounds like maybe the most logical first step is to ask for a one-on-one with the principal, and see if she'll go beyond "These are the rules, so follow them." Tami came home from school upset yesterday; apparently the "pentagram earrings" are a hot topic for gossip among sixth graders, and there was some kind of playground confrontation along the lines of "You're a Satan-worshipper! You sacrifice animals!" blah-de-blah. What upset her, and what REALLY steamed me, is that one of the *adult* playground monitors overheard, and said to Tam "Well, you shouldn't wear those satanic symbols if you don't want people to think these things about you." Most of the 'troublemaking' I've done at school has been behind adults who don't act like adults, rather than anything any kid, including Tam, has said or done. > As far as you know, there have been no other complaints in this matter? > Are any other established religions or philosophies similarly affected > -- the school have problems with representations of Kali, or Shiva, or > Guede, or even Masonic symbols? Not that I've heard of. Tam has a pendant with an "AUM" glyph that she's worn to school, no prob, and a silver ankh ring, again no prob. And she dragged in a TON of stuff at the teacher's request when they were studying Hinduism in Social Studies class. The only other religious symbolism she's noticed being worn at school are crosses and crucifixes (several) and one Star of David. I guess the interpretation of "no occult symbolism" is at the discretion of the Vice-Principal...when I went to get her earrings back from the dood, and told him they were little silver stars in little silver circles, and what the heck was the prob, he said they could be "interpreted as occult symbols" and "just don't let her wear them again." She really misses her old school! People have *real* things to worry about down on Imperial Ave. :/ > As you can see, it'd be a LOT easier if you could get things done at > the simple level of: > > "Hey, you folks are guilty of discrimination here, and perhaps > you ought to do something about it before the newspapers and > lawyers get involved, ifyaknowaddimean!" Yeah, I'm going to give it another go. It *appears* as though I'm "alone in the twilight" as far as seeing "No occult symbolism" as discriminatory though! Either that or nobody else wants to rock the boat. I'm really proud of her ...this is the age where they're all supposed to "fit in" and Tam's taken a lot of crap from her peers simply cuz she speaks her mind and doesn't knuckle under to popular opinion. It's good practice for adulthood, but I'm sure it's very rough on her right *now*. Ironically (but probably not surprisingly) there's a dorky contingent of "Satan Rulez" kids at school, and Tam catches more heat (it seems to me) because she actually tries to understand and explain 'non-traditional spirituality' instead of running around looking for Eeeeeeeeevil things to do in her spare time. > And yet that ruling had widespread results, mostly as a result of > Dick Lester's taking up the crusade... in fact, the colors issue was a > big factor in my retirement from ABATE Region Coordinator, not to > mention a number of key, founding members retiring from the State > positions here, and the resulting decline of ABATE as a political force > in this State. Really! I had no idea...there was a schism in the Brotherhood over the right to fly a patch?!? I suppose I was more involved in the endless political muck between ABATE & the M.M.A. right here in Kali-fornia to keep up with the rest o'the country. There was a lot of talk about settling differences and putting egos aside around the time Ron Roloff's death; some token gestures were made but y'know all about human nature I suppose. > I know what you mean... I have that kind of rep at work (which can > actually work to your advantage when you're a Union shop steward ). LOL! There's my whole problem: I'm just in the wrong line of work! ;> > You did right in putting the documentation in the file, just in case. Well, we do what we can. If this school board dude is dumb enough to report me to somebody as a perpetrator of "educational neglect" when my kid makes the Honor Roll every &*$#&! semester, there will be an *official* statement as to why she missed all that school last year, signed by a man with "M.D." after his name, and "U.C.S.D." on his letterhead. ;> Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: The Fool Area: Mundane To: Rose Dawn 2 Feb 94 14:38:00 Subject: Generation X UpdReq On 23 Jan 94 11:21, Rose Dawn writing to Ace Lightning About TUNES! said: RD> Oh heck, not all us "Generation Xers" are ignorant of the customs of Demonstrating just _how_ out of touch this particular fool is: what age band comprises generation X? I have heard the term, I was wondering if I'm one (Aug '66). ... My 486 2/66 does an infinite loop in 3.85 secs 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: The Fool Area: Mundane To: David Arnold 2 Feb 94 18:55:00 Subject: Re: The Strecker Memorandum UpdReq On 25 Jan 94 19:38, David Arnold writing to Dragonrider About The Strecker Memorandum said: DA> who knows. one thing is for sure. AIDS/HIV is NOT what the DA> establishment is telling us it is. How many people are actually suffering/dyng ffrom AIDS? Is it really a pandemic like we are being told in the media? ... Illiterate? Write for FREE HELP! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: The Fool Area: Mundane To: Thomas Izaguirre 2 Feb 94 18:58:02 Subject: Re: AIDS Paranoia & Fascist Prodding UpdReq On 29 Jan 94 15:40, Thomas Izaguirre writing to Dragonrider About AIDS Paranoia & Fascist Prodding said: TI> The problem with the conspiracy theories is that they are the very TI> thing that can turn finding a cure into a side issue for the vicarious TI> thrill of finding out who blame for this disease can be assigned to TI> (CIA, Flouridation, etc.). Earth First!, for instance, considers it a TI> Gaia-send, Her vengeance upon technological man. Go figure. I heard that AIDS was created by the World Healtn Organisation. It was supposed to be a genetically engineered polio vaccine. The green monkey connection is probably that they tested it on those green monkeys. The main (world wide) source of HIV infections is mass innoculation programs undertaken in the third world by WHO. Al least - that's what I heard :-> A more sinister therory was that HIV was deliberatly designed to cut down 3rd world overpopulation. ... My AUTOEXEC is bigger than your AUTOEXEC 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: The Fool Area: Mundane To: Julian 2 Feb 94 19:00:02 Subject: Re: Operation Rescue UpdReq On 30 Jan 94 18:09, Julian writing to Kayla Block About Operation Rescue said: Ju> like guns and basically any freedom that isn't PC? I'm not saying I'm Ju> pro- or anti-abortion, because I view it as a women's issue that I Ju> cannot possibly relate to intelligently. Even when it's your child too? ... My AUTOEXEC is bigger than your AUTOEXEC 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718