From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Richard W. Handel 3 Feb 94 00:09:56 Subject: Psychotherapy Rec'd UpdReq 93 richard, i apologize for not getting to this post sooner. i thought that i was set up to scan this echo, but i wasn't. then, i started to wonder if you ever had posted to me on this topic, went looking for a post from you, and found several posts from a few people on 'mundane' that i had not received. (glad i found your post before it scrolled off!) RWH> Do you think the private practitioner model is dead? I think that not necessarily, but that tends to be what one gets told in school. but, i do think that in order to survive in private practice, one needs to be a much sharper business person than in the past. RWH> psychotherapy can be very effective in some cases. I RWH> definitely think that it benefits the client to a i agree, but i don't think that psychotherapy necessarily = private practice. (less and less so these days, with health insurance companies either not paying for psych., only paying for a very limited # of visits, or only paying a small fee towards the overall fee. even in medicine, the private practice model is losing alot of ground. look at the upsurge in HMO's, and PPO's in the last few years.) also, the politics of being a psychologist can be very trying. a few years ago, the american psychiatric association was seriously attempting to pass some legislation to require psychologists to be supervised by psychiatrists in order to practice. also, admitting privileges in hospitals is an area of much 'warfare' between the psychiatrists and ph.d.'s. RWH> degree. For example, I'm interested in NLP. I think RWH> a lot of that could be applied quite effectively in a NLP used to be something that i had alot of interest in. even thought about doing my dissertation on an NLP topic. though i still think that some of the NLP ideas are useful, for the most part, research has not borne out alot of their underlying assumptions. still, i think that NLP was a good attempt to describe the 'magic' worked by milton erickson. are you familiar with his work? (the man was a mage, though he never practiced CM.) ;> my understanding of the roots of NLP, is that it was an attempt to explain erickson's magic. RWH> private practive setting. BTW, I should here back RWH> from schools in about 2 months. Where did you go to RWH> school? i went to california school of professional psychology in l.a. RWH> Do you know any computer programming languages? C++ years ago, i took a class in fortran and basic. but this was on a unix system, before pc's really became popular. at the time, i hated the class and thought the professor was one of the more inept that i had encountered. i did well in the class but learned virtually nothing. :( i wasn't too sure if i would like programming, but after talking to a programmer friend, i think that i probably would. (i like 'ginking' around with 'tedious' logic kinds of things.) i would really like to learn C++, and have been wanting to get a copy of the program to see if i could learn it on my own. i've thought about taking a class in it, but haven't actually looked into it yet. one of my 'deficits' is that i have a mac, not an ibm. so, i've made some attempt at finding a class that teaches C for programming macs. so far, no go. do you know how similar it would be b/t ibm's and mac's? (out of room. TTYL!) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Valkyrie Area: Mundane To: All 1 Feb 94 00:12:00 Subject: Magic...a Card Game!!! UpdReq There's a great new fantasy trading card game game called *Magic: The Gathering* by Wizards of the Coast. If you love strategy games and magic you'll love this game! Each player has his or her own deck of cards and develops his or her own strategy from the cards he or she has. You begin with a starter set of cards, available at game stores or comic book shops mostly, and then you buy booster packs. These are like trading cards, and some of the sets are *very* limited. The art on them is *excellent* and magical principles are basically sound. While you can play with others who are using the basic starter pack, you increase your scope of play by collecting other cards and you play for ante. Cards that are extrememly powerful or useful become valuable, and in demand by other players as well as by collectors. You can win cards in the game, buy or trade for cards you need or want. It's a two-player game, or multi-player game with special rules. You can summon creatures up, play artifacts, cast sorceries, spells and enchantments. It is a game of act and reaction as players duel magically. After shuffling the deck each person "antes" a card, drawn revealed by having another player cut the deck to reveal the ante card. These are the "stakes" that the game is played for. Among the cards out now in the booster packs is a "demonic attorney" that will argue for you if you don't concede the game in order to keep your ante card. There are lots of "commons" cards that are readily available and only nominally useful, but in every trading pack there is likely to be one or two valuable cards. Fairly common cards are "animate dead" which takes a card out of the played card "graveyard" and puts a character or a creature back into play. This is not a role-playing game, although people who are familiar with the role playing games will easily understand the point and scoring systems. One complete game of Magic is called a "duel." A set is won by the first player to win three duels. A "match" is the best of two of three sets. Players need to agree up front whether they are playing a single duel, set, match, or other competition. During the course of a single competition a player can't add or subtract any cards from their decks except the ones added or lost in the ante. If you can't find them locally, write to Wizards of the Coast, Garfield Games, PO Box 707, Renton, WA 98057-0707. Multi-player rules are circulating on the Inter-Net. If anyone comes up with a copy I'd appreciate hearing from you. Valkyrie SLMR 2.1a Metronome: a city-dwelling earth spirit. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lynna Landstreet Area: Mundane To: Melizande 3 Feb 94 02:03:26 Subject: NAFTA & Health Care UpdReq M> Now I've got a sick kid, facing the emerency room in the middle of M> the night with asthma (the older one) and still paying thru the nose M> to keep his pediatrician who knows him from weekly visits over the M> last 3 years. And I'm facing surgery again shortly (as soon as S.O. M> gets back from Asia) which kicks the can over again; the surgeon I M> want and trust is 'not on the net' so I can either get one who is, M> that I don't know, or go with mine and pick up around $1000 in costs, M> mostly deductibles. M> M> Maybe I'll move to Canada. I always liked Vancouver area.... Sounds like a good plan. Not just a real health care system, but mountains and ocean too, as well as mild winters (unusual for these latitudes) -- and a PODS board called Covenstead! I shall look forward to seeing you log on from there... :-) ___ * Freddie 1.2 * The true North strong and free... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718