From: Albertus Magnus Area: Metaphysical To: All 22 Apr 94 11:25:28 Subject: The Week in Death: April 8-14 UpdReq QUOTES OF THE DAY: ``I'd rather be dead than cool. '' --Kurt Cobain, from ``Stay Away'' ``It's better to burn out than to fade away.'' --Kurt Cobain, from his suicide note (quoting Neil Young) ``That's bullshit.'' --Courtney Love, in a public reading of Cobain's note. THE WEEK IN DEATH (April 8-April 14) B.A., COCO, HONEY, MOLLY, WILL, ZEE (NA), actors. The six dogs, featured in ``The Will Rogers Follies,'' were asphyxiated when their kennel van caught on fire. LEE BRILLEAUX (41), singer. The front-man for Dr. Feelgood, a Brit band influenced by the blues and popular on the English pub circuit. KEN CARSON (79), singer. Joined the Sons of the Pioneers after ROY ROGERS left the band. A new film called ``Backbeat'' chronicles the band's formative years, when they primarily played covers of early C&W hits in Germany. KURT COBAIN (27), musician. Nirvana wasn't a particularly original band; their antecedents include the Sex Pistols, Husker Du, R.E.M., Metallica ... and there was already a rebellion against the mainstream in progress. Cobain's genius was to concoct a novel fusion of punk/hardcore alienation and anger, metal chops, and balls-on pop hooks called grunge that was so right it had to sell millions. Musical cousins like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were swept along in the tide. Had grunge topped off at a couple hundred thousand fans, it would have been a manageable subculture, but millions of adherents turned it into a cause they unwittingly betrayed simply by their volume. Grunge was quickly perverted into a fashion fad -- some pretentious putz from London was hailed by the rag industry for designing pre-ripped flannel shirts that sold for over $100. Like millions of other misfits, Cobain reveled in being different. But with the instant, unexpected, wild success of Nirvana, Cobain had become what he had always rejected; all of a sudden he was the establishment, and it was transparent from his interviews and his music that he was struggling with it. On a metaphysical level, he had no choice but to kill himself. People aren't metaphysics, though, and it isn't necessary to prove that by pointing a shotgun at one's own head and pulling the trigger. In retrospect, Cobain's suicide was one of the most extensively telegraphed in rock history. There was the heroin, public complaints by his wife, COURTNEY LOVE, that he should get rid of his guns and, of course, the lyrics and the performances which, though brilliant, were also dark, raw, and tortured. He joins other flame-outs like JIMI, JANIS, and SID VICIOUS, but if there's a Rock 'n' Roll Heaven, Cobain won't want to be there. JEROME LEJEUNE (67), geneticist. Determined that Down's Syndrome is caused by a genetic defect. JAMES LYONS (78), founder of the Monterrey Jazz Festival. GOLO MANN (85), historian. Author of several standard works in German history. He was the second of THOMAS MANN's six children. PAUL E. SPANGLER (95), athlete. A retired Navy surgeon, Spangler took up running at age 67 in an experiment in prolonging life. He racked up 85 national age group records along the way. He died while on one of his thrice-weekly 7-mile runs. EMMA WINN (118). A daughter of slaves, Winn attributed her longevity to greens, cornbread, and good hard work. From the That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Closed Department (TWTYTKYMCD): The unveiling of a restored Sistine Chapel (BTW, TWIDMAN's seen the restoration of the birth of ADAM, and it's glorious) prompts the retelling of this one: While the ceiling was being painted, this cockalorum named BIAGIO DI CESENA, who worked for POPE PAUL III, got all a-dither about the nudity, and told MICHELANGELO that the whole thing was obscene. Mick's response was to paint di Cesena's face on the character Minos, who was placed in Hell and wrapped up by a snake about to sink his fangs in di Cesena/Minos' nuts. di Cesena ran to Paul III to whine about this. The pope's response was ``God has granted me absolute power in heaven and on Earth, but I'm powerless in Hell, so you will have to stay there.'' (The Week in Death is by Brian Santo, [b.santo@genie.geis.com].) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: GardenStone Area: Metaphysical To: Drui 13 Apr 94 20:12:00 Subject: towers UpdReq Hello Drui. D> The "people" do not need an opinion about the wizards as D> long as the wizards stay in the tower. Hmm...that gives a smell of a well-knowm doctrine of the Roman Emperors. What's the USE for the Earth of wizards living in a tower? D> It's a modern sickness that the "public" should have an D> opinion on everything.... Lack of knowledge lead already too often to horrible situaties. It might f.i. frighten 'people'and that could result in blowing up that tower. D> I have no opinions on auto mechanics, team sports,....... There are things on which I don't have knowledge. I hope, I do not have an opinion on those things either. You're sounding very convinced that you really don't have an opinion on all the things you mentioned. How do you manage that? It's hardly to believe! D> As said, there are other wizards in the tower. They may not D> be "people" but they are human. "People" is worthless as D> it/themselves. Individuals are highly valuable. One must D> separate one from the other. You cannot eat "food": you eat D> an apple or lettice or a pork-chop (or junk poison because D> "people" call and sell it as "food"). The individual component is very valuable indeed. But by saying that 'people is worthless I could read an underestimation of the power of 'people' as a masse. That 'Masse-power' can be manipulated and it is done, very often in a negative way. Do the wizards in that tower feel themselves better humans, more valuable humans, etc. than the humans outside? (Not offensive ment). What is the use of the tower? D> .....if van Gogh wrote poetry like he painted, you'd have D> me! :-)) He didn't as you'll know. Perhaps you are interested in the paintings of a fellow-wizard.... It's Cesar Manrique, who lived at Lanzarote, one of the Canarian Islands. I've been there recently and I was very impressed of his paintings, his architecture and the way he influenced the local people there to paint there houses white and the doors and windowframes green. Though he moved to the Summerlands two years ago, his magickal influence is still very deep there. I'm for about twenty years now 'involved' in Wicca. That way of life leads to great interest in Wizardry, Magick in it's many forms, shamanism, etc. You said you published many. I didn't met the name Drui yet in books and articles. Did you write under another name? Did it reach Europe? Resuming: What did you write and is it publicly published? Blessed Be, GardenStone. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718