From: Ammond Shadowcraft Area: Metaphysical To: All 27 Apr 92 13:48:00 Subject: Corrupt the databases... UpdReq Corrupt.1 Today, the 27th of April 1992, I had an interesting but disturbing experience. Being at the mall I dropped by COST CUTTERS (family hair salon) to get a quick trim of what little hair I have left. As I walked up to the counter three CC employees had surrounded their brand-new computerized cash register. I could see that these people had little training for this device. This caused me to wait until they arrived at a consensus decision on some minor problem. Looking at me one of the employees asked me to fill out a small form with my name and address. Naturally I refused to fill out the form. This seemed to surprise the employees just a little. Another employee asked another how to enter my business into the computer without the requested form. They didn't know. Another employee told me that 'we are on the computer now. The last four digits of your phone number is the log number on the receipt.' I refused by replying that I didn't need to be in their data base and would take my business elsewhere. Off I went to lunch. After lunch I thought about clarifying the issue just for the record. Trotting down to the store I walked up to a woman (an assistant manager) and asked her if she wanted a second chance at getting my business. I hadn't seen her before but she apparently had heard something from the other employees. She replied that she had no way to enter my business into the computer with out my name and phone number. "Look," I said, "I don't want to be in your data base, I don't want to be in anyone else's database either. Now I want a haircut and you want my money. What's it gonna' be?" "Sorry I can't." "Whose the manager here?" "I'm one of them." "Where's the other?" "She's not here. But let me call someone and get some help." After making two calls she found out that she could put any name and number she wanted into the computer. With that I became Bob with a number that wasn't my own and got my haircut from a very appreciative woman who seemed to like my idea of not being in the database. Upon leaving I was offered the receipt. "Does it have a name on it? "Yeah, Bob." "That isn't my name." and I walked off. There are over 1700 federal and state agencies which collect information of citizens. I can't even guess how many thousands of private organizations collect data on customers. With all this there is almost no way to evaluate and correct information in these many thousands of databases all around the world. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Ammond Shadowcraft Area: Metaphysical To: All 27 Apr 92 13:49:00 Subject: corrupt the Databases... UpdReq Corrupt.2 Think of all the junk mail every citizen gets? How many forests are destroyed because of junk mail? Too many I would guess. So I get to recycle all this junk mail (which costs me money just to take it to the people who will handle it just because not many will). To remedy this I propose that we handle the situation a little differently. When a business just isn't flexible enough to handle the refusenik, then a different tack is called for. Lie. It's fun. I suddenly become Harvard T. Hillbert (the English spelling with two ls please), whose address just happens to be a local recycling business. The challenge is to remember who you are for 30 or so minutes and not loose your cool. There are also many hundreds of businesses which collect social security numbers (against some state and federal laws). In Colorado there is now an option (it was mandatory before) to put your SSN on your drivers license. I refused that too. But where state or federal agencies are NOT concerned, then lie. My SSN suddenly becomes 815-33-0000 and my phone number 666-0000. Sooner or latter the collecting agencies will have a significant unknown percentage of their databases corrupted and will spend thousands of bucks either recycling junk mail for us or getting it back from the Postal Service. Either way, we win. Trees are saved, though some fuel is expended, but the collectors of data will eventually get the message that their moving targets don't want to be identified. Enjoy being someone else for once! 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718