From: Phanerothyme Area: Magical Plants To: Talis Moonblade 17 Aug 94 07:35:56 Subject: Re: Peganum harmala UpdReq TM>Mckennas book Food of the Gods, which I was reading. Hmmm now to TM>see if I can find it, TM>without having to grow it my self. TM>A truely excellent book by the way, very high TM>recommendations...also check out his "True Hallucinations" So far TM>(midway through) It is also an excellent book. TM>Talis Excuse me for coming in late on this thread, but if you want to buy P. Harmala, you can get 30g of seeds from JLF (POB 184, Elizabethtown, IN 47232, (812) 379-2508) for $10. These seeds are viable, so you can extract alkaloids from some and plant some too.) See one of my preceding posts for using these seeds to make an ayahuasca analogue! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Deep Black Area: Magical Plants To: Toxic Dreamer 10 Aug 94 21:16:00 Subject: Re: Cloud Nine UpdReq TD> I was wondering if anyone in this echo knows much about the new TD> herbal mixture being sold by Advanced Research in California which is TD> supposed to be a natural substitute to MDMA. Has anyone tried it, TD> know much about it and how it can be made or imported to Australia. I have no firsthand knowledge, but I have heard from those who have on the alt.drugs and alt.psychoactives newsgroups via internet. Near as I can tell, it is about like taking several grams of L-tryptophan. The MDMA comparison is pretty bogus, seems to be the concensus. There IS supposed to be a similar, but much more potent/euphoric material floating about the West coast called GBH. Many have confused this with GABA (which can be purchased from a nutritional supply like L-tryptophan.) It is supposed to be compounded from herbs and amino acids, but aside from that, I am in total ignorance. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Deep Black Area: Magical Plants To: Hex 10 Aug 94 21:26:00 Subject: Re: Peganum harmala UpdReq He> the plants your intrested in is P. harmala which contains 3% He> harmine, harmaline and tetrahydroharmine (all MAOI's) in its He> testa (seed coat), has been used as a ritual plant as well as He> producing the dye Turkish Red for dying carpets. It is known He> as Syrian Rue or African Rue and have a read of Plants of the He> Gods if you get the chance. It can be purchased from ...of the jungle. The seeds are best extracted by grinding and extracting in 50/50 vinegar and water. 24 hours in a crock pot on low and then strain through a coffee filter. Evaporate and scrape up the blod-red crystaline residue. One to three grams of the extract will provide sufficient MAO inhibition to orally activate any of the normally non-active tryptamines. It is also a potent enhancement for psilocybin. DO NOT use this with any thing else. Certain foods consumed during the inhibition phase can be harmful or even fatal. By itself, harmine and harmaline are largely uninteresting. The "grail" of the oral yage analog remains elusive as ever, at least as far as North American indigenous plants are concerned. Certain definite results have been recently found that may change that _very_ soon. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Deep Black Area: Magical Plants To: Kayla Block 10 Aug 94 21:29:00 Subject: Re: Of the Jungle III UpdReq KB> no problem, hex! i was thinking about posting some stuff on amanita KB> muscaria if people are interested. let me know. I have an extraction technique which works, but A. muscaria was another "dead-end" for me. Too many side effects (which aren't exactly "bad", but I found annoying) and not enough of the proper kind of illumination of the interior dimensions. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Deep Black Area: Magical Plants To: Cary Robyn 10 Aug 94 21:52:00 Subject: Re: Transcendental Objects UpdReq CR> far as promising candidates for the identity of McKenna's CR> transcendental object, my best guess is that the 2012 event may mark CR> the point at which Artificial Intelligence goes auto-catalytic and we CR> get truly sentient machines with superhuman intelligence. Also a I am a bit hesitant to embrace quite as quickly or with as much enthusiasm as Terrence. Perhaps my work in a high-tech field involving computers taints my perspective somewhat. Tech yields some true marvels, but it asks a very high price. I am also opposed to technology for technology's sake. I question the wisdom of conducting the resources and energy necessary for two million people to be able to slay an imaginary dragon on a computer in Finland from your living room. My feeling run more along the lines of a "breakthrough" of some sort involving the intrusion of a sentience equal to or greater than our own from a previously unknown realm or source. This may well involve a mind/machine interface. I had an interesting experience last weekend with a fungus coupled to one of the more recent mind machines. This one was of the headphone/LED glasses combination. I was able to "tune in" different discrete levels of varying morphology and after a while disconnected the audio portion as it was "getting in the way." Also, since it was pre-programmed to go through various frequencies, about the time things begin to resolve on one level, it would change. It was a lot like tuning through a radio dial from one end to the other and back. The next time, I am going to use the glasses, but I will have them hooked up to a digital signal generator which I can precisely control as to the waveform and frequency. I will record what frequencies and waveforms yield what results. From my last experience, the "lower end" was very smooth and planar and the "higher end" was very ornate (almost baroque/arabesque.) This "higher end" had more of a machine look and was crammed with network-entity(ies.) The "lower-end" was more like huge empty spaces vith vistas of what looked like smooth basalt which curved gently off into infinity. CR> My mushroom revelations include a sense that we are on the verge of CR> an evert into mass conscious awareness of the strange order of being CR> that sits astride our world; the integration of Upper Circuit CR> functioning into the psyche of humanity as a whole, though this is CR> regarded as more speculative than the other conjectures. "Critical Mass" is, I feel, an integral aspect of this event. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Deep Black Area: Magical Plants To: All 10 Aug 94 21:56:00 Subject: Random ramblings UpdReq This is a messgae which was composed to be added to a thread happening on Altered States. Nonetheless, I'd though I'd cross post there. Has it occured to anyone else that these echoes are somewhat redundant? "Twould be nice if they could be combined. The combined input would help carry through the large dead air spaces we periodically hit. Anyway: As regards our conversations here about the ultimate substance of "entities", I though I'd offer what another had to say on the subject. It is taken from Crowley's introduction to his translation of the _Goetia_ (also known as the _Lesser Key of Solomon_). By the bye, I thought I'd mention that even though I hold Crowley in fairly high regard in some areas, I am by no means enamoured by "Crowleanity." I am not concerned to deny the objective reality of all "magical" phenomena; if they are illusions, they are at least as real as many unquestioned facts of daily life; and they are at least evidence of some cause. Now, this fact is our base. What is the cause of my illusion of seeing a spirit in the Triangle of Art? Every smatterer, every expert in psychology would answer: "That cause lies in your brain." English children are taught that the Universe lies in infinite Space; Hindu children, in the Akasa, which is the same thing. *I might add ayn, ayn soph and ayn soph aur in the Cabalistic traditions -DB* European minds might go a little deeper and say that the phenomenal universe is the creation of the Ego. Hindus would be told that the by Akasa is meant the Chitakaska. The Chitakasa is situated in the "Third Eye," i.e., in the brain. By assuming higher dimensions of space, we can assimilate this fact to Realism; but we have no need to take so much trouble. This being true for the ordinary Universe, that all sense-impressions are dependent on changes in the brain, we must include illusions, which are after all sense impressions as much as "realities" are, in the class of "phenomena dependent on brain-changes." Magical phemonena, however, come under a special sub-class, since they are willed, and their cause is the series of "real" phenomena called the operations of ceremonial magic. These unusual impressions produce unusual brain-changes; hence their summary is of unusual kind. Its projection back into the apparently phenomenal world is therefore unusual. Herein then consists the reality of the operations and effects, and I conceive that the apology is ample, so far as the "effects" refer only to those phenomena which appear to the magician himself, the appearance of the entity and his conversation. The spirits of the _Goetia_ are portions of the human brain, and these portions of my brain which subserve the logical faculty may be stimulated and developed by following certain processes. And this is a purely materialistic rational statement; it is independent of any objective hierarchy at all. Philosophy has nothing to say; and Science can only suspend judgment, pending a proper and methodical investigation of the facts alleged. So for all other phenomena; there is no effect which is truly and necessarily miraculous. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Arifel Area: Magical Plants To: HEX 8 Aug 94 09:45:00 Subject: Peganum harmala UpdReq > the plants your intrested in is P. harmala which contains 3% > harmine, harmaline and tetrahydroharmine (all MAOI's) in its > testa (seed coat), has been used as a ritual plant as well as > producing the dye Turkish Red for dying carpets. >you don't suppose this is where Frank Hebert got the inspiration for Sappho, the Mentat drug, in `Dune'? the one that dyes the user's lips red? :D AME 1.07 "i wasn't put on god's earth to JERK OFF DOORS!" - aryfel 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Phil Pope Area: Magical Plants To: Cary Robyn 11 Aug 94 19:36:02 Subject: Captain Rom UpdReq -=> Quoting Cary Robyn to Phil Pope <=- CR> I have not heard anything from Rom since before his hearing in early CR> June. While I did encourage him to prioritize his scarce time instead I have not heard anything also. I am concerned and am trying to find people he may have been staying with in Sydney. I will let you know as soon as I find anything. Phil PS I hope it is just despondancy, the alternative is not good. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718