From: Albertus Magnus Area: Magical Plants To: All 16 May 94 19:16:40 Subject: WAVE Hemp As Medicine UpdReq Date: Thu, 12 May 94 21:16 MST From: WASATCH AREA VOICES EXPRESS Wasatch Area Voices Express (W.A.V.E.) WOMEN'S EDITION Volume #1 Issue #5 HEMP AS MEDICINE by Amy Christiansen Well, here I am again to talk about one of nature's many incredible plants. Specifically, Cannabis sativa, a.k.a., pot, marijuana, hemp, dope, or grass. In this issue, I am going to focus on the medicinal uses of hemp in the distant and recent past. Hemp has been used for centuries to treat stress, as well as aid in pain relief and relaxation. There are roughly 60 therapeutic compounds in hemp, but the best known compound is Tetra-hydracannabinol or THC. The THC concentration varies from strain to strain of Cannabis, and this is generally how the quality is judged. The higher the THC content, the higher the potency and efficiency of treatment. (Incidentally, higher THC content is the main reason that pot is now considered such a "dangerous" drug, as opposed to the pot that was around 20-30 years ago.) Hemp has many effects on the human body: it lowers blood pressure, increases appetite, dilates the arteries, dilates temperature and .... gets you high! (That last is deemed the non-acceptable side effect of marijuana use by the DEA.) Specifically, smoking Cannabis can be used to treat headaches, migraines, glaucoma, insomnia, and stress (due to its ability to lower blood pressure and dilate the arteries); asthma, emphysema, as well as hemp's expectorant properties (due to its ability to dilate the bronchii -- this refers to light use, heavy use can worsen problems); anorexia, alleviation of some chemotherapy side effects (due to its ability to stimulate appetite and combat nausea -- it's especially good for nausea because it can't be thrown back up like other remedies). Cannabis has many other uses, too, but I didn't want to bore you. Again, I need to recommend Jack Herer's book The Emperor Wears No Clothes. I also need to say that some people have adverse responses to hemp -- it can cause an allergic reaction (like any organic material), as well as cause paranoia. I would also like to mention that many of the legal, synthesized drugs used to treat the illnesses mentioned above can have extremely toxic and addictive side-effects. Be free, and treat yourself with wisdom and care. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ * CopyLeft 1994 by Wasatch Area Voices Express (W.A.V.E.) Please distribute this article freely. W.A.V.E. is produced by a collective of students, staff, and faculty from Weber State University; members of the surrounding Ogden community; and some columnists from other parts of the world. To receive more information about W.A.V.E. (subscriptions, submissions, etc.), send a message to We welcome all input. Thank you! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Cary Robyn Area: Magical Plants To: Phil Pope 19 May 94 19:27:00 Subject: Re: Captain Rom Sent UpdReq I have since received two remarkably lengthy letters from Rom and will be sending him a reply tomorrow, along with a complete list of all the files I have received from him on disk. There have been no replies from the letters I sent on his behalf to various organizations and agencies, at least at this address. He has sent me so many files that it would take months to go through them all. I will be going to Elf Lore Family's ELF-Fest next week and should be able to have a petition signed by many there that could go to the embassy or wherever useful. Not sure how much else I can do by early June. I wrote to CAW again and will give a few others a try in case anyone knows a Pagan lawyer who might be willing to take on his civil rights case. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718