From: Albertus Magnus Area: Magical Plants To: All 15 Apr 94 08:35:18 Subject: Mescaline extraction UpdReq From: poet@uclink.berkeley.edu (Yves Tanguy) Newsgroups: alt.drugs Subject: Mescaline Extraction (a culled guide) Date: 21 May 1993 19:31:37 GMT Message-ID: <1tjamp$4kk@agate.berkeley.edu> Care should be taken with solvents and strong acids and bases. Out of concern for safety I would advise the use of methylenechloride as a safer alternative to chloroform or benzene as a non-polar solvent. From Edward F. Anderson's _Peyote: The Divine Cactus_ (without permission): Several methods are available to isolate and identify mescaline within plant or animal tissue. Extraction is accomplished by methanol; this initial stage is then completed by filtration of the extract and its evaporation to dryness. The extract is then treated with chloroform and 0.05 N hydrochloric acid in a sep- aratory funnel; the aqueous portion is retained after several washings with chloroform. Ammonia or sodium carbonate is added to the aqueous solution in sufficient quantities to produce a slightly basic solution with a pH of about 8. This is followed by further extraction with chloroform and chloroform-ethanol (3:1). After adjusting the pH to about 10 a final chloroform-ethanol extraction is made. The chloroform extract which contains the alkaloids is then dried. The alkaloids can be separated into phenolic and non-phenolic groups by passing the extract (redissolved in chloroform) through Amberlite IRA-400 (OH-) ion-exchange resin. If thin layer chromatography is used for alkaloid separation and identification, several spray reagents are particularly useful. For example, Flourescamine (4-phenyl- spiro [furan-2 (3H), 1'-phthalan]-3,3-dione) readily distinguishes phenethylamines from tetrahydroisoquinolones. Mescaline may then be identified by comparison with known samples using infra-red spectrophotometry. "Applied chemists" within the drug cult have devised ingenious methods of extracting pure mescaline from dried or fresh plant material. The basic process varies somewhat but a typical one is as follows: the plant material is first boiled to extract the alkaloids; this extract is then made basic by the addition of sodium hydroxide (lye). Next benzene (try methylenechloride) is added to further separate the alkaloids. The aqueous and benzene portions are allowed to separate following a gentle shaking. Dilute sulfuric acid (hydrochloric works as well) is next added in small quantitites to the benzene portion and the solution is again shaken. The mixture is allowed to stand, and the process is repeated several more times with the addition of a more dilute acid every time. A white precipitate will soon settle and can easily be dried. This is mescaline sulfate (or hydrochloride) and further steps can make it quite pure. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: The Cegorach Area: Magical Plants To: KAYLA BLOCK 17 Apr 94 04:39:06 Subject: Amanita Muscaria UpdReq -=> Quoting Kayla Block @1:102/943 Vi to All @666:231/0*93 <=- Re: Amanita Muscaria KB> has anyone out there ever tried amanita muscaria? i'm curious about KB> what it's like, dosage, toxicity data, etc. any info. would be greatly KB> appreciated! thanx! I'm afraid I can't be too helpful, re: data for you...but I can't let the opportunity pass to note that A. Muscaria are the little buggers w/red dome w/white spots, and thus are in *every* bloody children's fairy-tale book (and Smurf cartoon) I've ever seen. Ya gotta laugh.... Larry ... FOR SYSOP USE ONLY - Do not write below this line. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 VQWK 6.20 [Rev H - 04/04/94] 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718