From: Xochipili Area: Magical Plants To: Joe Jackson 8 Aug 93 00:04:04 Subject: Dogbane UpdReq JJ> Thanks. U are probably correct. It is related to JJ> Apocynum androsaemifolium -- Dogbane -- right? A tea made JJ> from it tastes just AWFUL! But only a couple of sips will JJ> knock u out for the night. Take too much and it is JJ> poisonous. At least that is what I hear. Only used it JJ> once, and have no desire ever to taste it again. Please JJ> post more on this stuff if u have it. You're right. It's called dogbane and the effects of A. cannabinum are suppused to be similar. I haven't grown it or used it yet. I have a member of the family climbing all over the side of my house. It's climbing-star jasmine. Oleanders and Thevetias are in that family, too. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Xochipili Area: Magical Plants To: Rakshasa 8 Aug 93 00:10:58 Subject: Re: HAWIIAN WOOD ROSE UpdReq R> I've eaten Hawaiian Woodrose seeds twice. Both R> times I became ill. I also had a good deal of R> cramping, "cold sweats" and general nervousness. I R> noticed that colors seemed brighter, but could R> hardly call the whole experience "psychedelic." R> Somebody told me that the active ingredient in R> Woodrose seeds is the Lysergic Acid Amine... not R> Diethylamide. This results in a "high" which R> resembles eating ergot-tainted rye more than Lucy in R> the Sky. Whatever the reason, I'd have to agree R> with you... woodrose seeds are _not_ worth the R> effort. I had the same symptoms that you had. Trying to meditate in the dark boosts the psychedelic value, but it's an evil feeling, overall. I kept seeing "dry grass" in shocks, and hearing locusts "tell" me that the whole world was soon to resemble a desert and that water would be the most valuable commodity on Earth. There are several ergoline alkaloids that can be call lysergic acid amides. And there are toxins in Woodrose unrelated the the ergoline alkaloids. The latter cause the sweating, trembling, and the general feeling of malaise. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Deep Black Area: Magical Plants To: Rose Dawn 5 Aug 93 07:56:00 Subject: Re: CATALOGUE SOURCE UpdReq RD> The message base here shows that Deep Black, the moderator, gave you RD> some info on 7/17/93 about preparation of Desmanthus and promised RD> further info at a later date. Did you receive the post? He knows a RD> lot more than I'm ever likely to, so would be a much better source RD> than I! I'll say for the record that all the papers I've been exchanging lately within the circle of those who are doing serious work in this area have proven both Desmanthus (the whole root anyway; the root-bark may be another story) and A. donax to not be very active as an oral yage analog. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Deep Black Area: Magical Plants To: Bill Gronos 6 Aug 93 20:12:00 Subject: Re: Cactus Plant used in rituals UpdReq BG> Quoting from "Psychedelic Encyclodedia", third expanded edition, by BG> P. Stafford, "It is usually sliced up and boiled for six to eight BG> hours. A portion 6-10" long and 2-3" in diameter constitutes a BG> normal dose." Stafford's book is one of a few references that is generally accurate and not third/fourth/....Nth hand information and/or "ritual plant urban myth.' San Pedro is a valueable resource and tool. I know from credible sources and personal experiences that the core of this succulent is not toxic, but it contains no active alkaloids either (unless in amounts so minute that it may as well be 0/kg.) Including it will only add to the amount of unnecessary material in the final step. I'm considering compiling standard text files about certain plants and fungi for uploading since they get asked about so frequently. I am torn between the desire to disseminate accurate information to those genuinely interested on one hand.....and on the other I sometimes question the wisdom of broadcasting certain information in an uncontrolled forum. Many of these plants are completely legal, and if used with wisdom and care, they have a good chance of staying that way. Also, blanket statements like "completely legal" are subject to context. Care should be taken not to misconstrue or extrapolate. In the case of San Pedro, for example, it is completely legal to own, cultivate or sell. Doing anything else with it may or may not be legal, depending on exactly WHAT that "anything else" is and WHERE that "anything else" is done. So with that in mind, back to San Pedro (Trichocereus pachanoi). I have prepared it several ways: these methods apply to all succulents as well. Perhaps the easiest way is to "notch" out the small, regularly placed groups of spines along the edges of the ribs. Slice the "flesh" of the plant away from the core and dry this on a metal mesh in an oven no hotter than a couple hundred degrees at most. The core is discarded. When thoroughly dry it is rendered to a powder with a blender. To this powder, add enough water to make a stiff mush and roll into the largest balls one can comfortably swallow. Allow these to dry and the natural tars, resins and sugars present in the plant will hold them together surprisingly well. These are then swallowed with plain water on a completely empty stomach. As to the particulars of preparation one makes in ones Self, set/setting, purpose of the ritual (or however one refers to this segment of time), etc: I will leave that unsaid as it is so varied according to ones personal predelicitions and the relationship between the Self and the organism (or the products of its metabolism.) The portions Stafford uses in his book are adequate for anyone getting acquainted with this plant. Using that as a reference, one will know how much will be used in subsequent sessions. One final and general piece of advice. Keep a journal of your experiences in these areas. By this I mean a practical journal dealing with the specifics of the mechanics; i.e. materials, times, weights, impressions, etc. I am not refering to reflections and experiences during the session, although this may be of value as well. I simply feel it is best kept in a separate journal. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718