From: Khephera Area: MagickNet To: Pan 15 Jun 96 05:41:12 Subject: words UpdReq On Jun 11 05:36 96, Pan of 93:9806/50 wrote: P> actually, i think the names, are phonetic expressions of formulas. P> therefore the same god, or angle can be pronounced differently in differing P> cultures but the same basic formula stands as what is... P> i.e, ishtar, easter, hastor, hathor, ...... P> the truth to knowing how other languages say the same thing is in the P> formula. truth begins and ends outside or without language. The way I see it is this: You spend a lot of time studying and training. To take one example, you study long and hard on the Forces of Venus/Netzach....and you associate all you learn about this Force with the Goddess Ishtar. That association becomes ingrained in your mind as deep or deeper than what a stop-sign means. ;) Then, when it comes time for the Magick, you can't be spending your time pondering all the hundreds and even thousands of intricate details of the force of Venus....you need to pull all of that information into your mind in one fell swoop...without bringing your left brain into it any more than you have to (because the left brain needs to concentrate on directing the Forces). And so, to do this, you simply envision Ishtar. She, in one simple picture, sums up everything that Venus/Netzach is. You call upon Her, and direct your power through Her. That's what vibrating Her Name is all about. You call upon Her (that is to say, all the Forces of Venus within yourself) by vibrating Her Name. Therefore, it really doesn't matter how it's pronounced....the Magick is in the association of the Name with the Ideas. Now, as an aside, it also happens that often we might find Names being very similar in sound when related to the same concepts. For instance, the Name Lilith and the Hebrew for "night" (Lailah) are very similar, and the concepts they call forth are also similar- **even though the words are not linked in any historical or etymological way**. This seems to be a side effect of the principal outlined above- rather than the cause of it as you indicate. ;) Blessed Be, may Yahweh and His Asherah guide and keep thee, Ar ReX Em SeXem Eref Neter Au-a Rx Khephera 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Khephera Area: MagickNet To: Paul Hume 15 Jun 96 22:29:02 Subject: words UpdReq On Jun 14 09:52 96, Paul Hume of 93:9829/0 wrote: PH> Pan - P>> i.e, ishtar, easter, hastor, hathor, ...... PH> But this can run into a tricky little trap, since Hathor is not a different PH> pronunciation of Ishtar, but the Hellenization of Het-heru, PH> which means House of Heru (Himself called Horus by the Greeks). Thus, PH> there is no linguistic connection between Hathor and Ishtar - who in fact PH> some syncretists connect rather with Isis (Auset, Iset). PH> So watch out for those cross-language homonyms...they often do NOT indicate PH> common origin or similar meaning. And this, in turn, illustrates one of my earlier points that words with differnt histories- yet similar meanings (Hathor and Ishtar are very alike) can sometimes end up sounding alike. But, this isn't by any design. It seems to be a kind of cosmic-consciousness kind of thing....:) Blessed Be, may Yahweh and His Asherah guide and keep thee, Ar ReX Em SeXem Eref Neter Au-a Rx Khephera 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718