From: Lewis Cypher Area: MagickNet To: Josh Norton 30 Apr 95 18:42:44 Subject: Consciousness Exaulted Rec'd UpdReq JN>(Ponders...) I'm primarily concerned with initiatory magick, where such changes in consciousness are the prime goal of the work. LC> And that is my major interest as well. It is my practice, as I was originally trained, to work low magic with new techniques. This limits the possible consequences to usually just me, and gives something concrete to visualize. The intent is mastery of technique first, then exploration of new sources of spiritual growth; and discovering limits before putting myself on the line in a much higher purpose work. JN> I suspect that for someone concerned with producing external effects, (or who believes there is a real distinction between Self and Other) they need not be so obvious; one could let the preconscious parts of the being that do all the work remain below the threshold of awareness. LC> A.O. Spare called these beings "Selfconscious Automa." It was his advice that the safe way to reach these beings was with devices, like cards and scrystones, and to leave them in their own realms of the deep subconscious. Kenneth Grant, a dubious source for sure, told a story in his book about Spare summoning such a being, in detriment to the two guests he was performing for. LC> One thoery I have about these beings, demonic or otherwise, is that they are part of the cultural fabric of the Zeigheist, a shared world view, anthropormorphic aberant behavior. JN> (More pondering...) The problem isn't finding an example -- I've got hundreds of them. Rather, it's finding one that is clear enough to explain. JN> By their very nature, such experiences take place at a pre- verbal or extra-verbal level; words are often a byproduct of the experience, but don't really touch its core. Often, the best one can do is translate it into symbolic terms, and hope another person can use those symbols to work back to a similar experience. LC> I was hoping you would write that, eventually. Words may not define the experience, but they are a comfort to those treading the unknown road of inner plane contacts. "As within, so without;" Just so I don't lose track here. LC> "Those who know, do not say.""Those who say, do not know." Lao Tzu wrote these words thousands of years ago. If they were true, why did he write them in a book of 5000 words? Why was he such a blabbermouth? The answer, is that he wrote the Tao Te Ching out of grandmotherly kindness. I find that trying to explain it to someone who needs it is the best source of the right words, because the intent is all, just as it is in the ritual. Sincerely, Lewis 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718