From: Gaia Area: MagickNet To: RIPPER 6 Mar 95 02:32:00 Subject: This may sound like a stu UpdReq -=> Quoting Ripper@93:9042/11 to All <=- Ri> Now I just KNOW i'm going to offend someone with this, so i'm saying Ri> "sorry!" now.. Is it true that Wiccans can cast spells? I was going to Ri> post this in the Ri> other base but this seems more.. at home. Also how do you learn how? GAIA: Hi Ripper. the only stupid question is the one left unasked . It's best to define terms when beginning such a discussion. Exactly what do you mean by "spells"? If you mean, turning someone into a toad.....we're (most of us) not into that . I recently wrote an article on what *real* spells are. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send it along. Many of us who teach Wicca would want certain conditions met first: 1. Are you of age, and/or do you have your parents permission to study? Most of us don't need to see ourselves on the Evening news as "that awful Witch who corrupted some youngster".... 2. Are you willing to commit yourself to the Wiccan rede? This is our central ethic: "An ye harm none, do as ye will." Harming none is quite an idea, worthy of some discussion itself. 3. We like to discuss it a bit - find out more about you, your reasons for wanting to learn the Craft, your background, etc. And you are encouraged to ask questions of a teacher, as well! The student/ teacher relationship is a serious one, and should not be entered into lightly, by either party! So most of us who teach take it quite seriously, you see. Partly because we believe that we are karmically responsible for what/ whom we teach. If you'd like to talk more, just let me know. Blessed Be - Gaia ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: David Cherubim Area: MagickNet To: Fir 6 Mar 95 21:31:22 Subject: Ritual of the Sphinx UpdReq Greetings in Thelema: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. On 24 February, 1995 e.v., you posted the following message with regard to the Ritual of the Sphinx: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Where would one find a likeness of the Sigil of the Sphinx? And a likeness of the Sign of the Sphinx? * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * The Sigil of the Sphinx is made by tracing in the air the symbol of the Sun surmounting a Lunar Crescent. This should be accomplished above the Altar while facing the East of the Temple. The Sign of the Sphinx is made by forming a Circle of Sol around the head with the arms, with hands crossed above the head to form a Crescent of Luna. This should also be accomplished while facing the East of the Temple. Love is the law, love under will. Yours in Thelema, David Cherubim 93 93/93 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Nilen Area: MagickNet To: All 6 Mar 95 00:00:00 Subject: New BBS UpdReq I am starting a new Occult BBS in the MD area. The Hidden Light 301-871-0842. I am sepecificaly targeting those whom have little or no knowledge in Magickal studies but have an Interest. If you belong to an Order and would like for me to put info about your Order on my BBS. Please drop me a line. ___ X CMPQwk #1.4X UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Amethyst Area: MagickNet To: Ripper 5 Mar 95 01:47:34 Subject: This may sound like a stupid question..UpdReq Hi Ripper! 27 Feb 95 06:06, Ripper wrote to All: R> Now I just KNOW i'm going to offend someone with this, so i'm R> saying "sorry!" now.. Is it true that Wiccans can cast spells? I R> was going to post this in the other base but this seems more.. at R> home. Also how do you learn how? ripper. This answer is not going to be simple, so bear with me, this is going to be a long message...there are things you need to understand if you are interested in learning how to do spells. Yes Wiccans can and do cast spells, but not the sort that popular beliefs imply. Of course, it depends upon one's own personal values in some cases. There are many different traditions of Wicca and some of them have different ideas about some things, like consent and love spells, for example. For Wiccans, spells are like prayers are to Christians. You're basically asking for a need, for yourself, family members (pets included), friends, etc. A need would be something like healing, a job, a place to live, enough money to get by...most of us don't try to win the lottery that way...heck, we'd all be rich if we could do that! The main thing to keep in mind is that the difference between prayer and spells is that when a Christian prays to his/her god, they are asking the deity to do all the work for them. When a Wiccan does a spell, they are asking the deity/deities to empower them to do what is necessary to bring about the best result. In other words, if you are a Wiccan and you need a job, you can do a ritual spell to help you get a job, but then don't sit around on your butt waiting for one to come out of the sky...you'd better go out and look and look HARD for it. Magick is not an easy way to make things happen in your life...you still have to do your part. We all believe that you should never use magick to harm another...curses and hexes are out. And when it comes to doing spells for others, many of us believe that you should have the consent or request of that person to do it for them. Also, many of us believe that you should not use a spell to manipulate the free will of another, as in the case of a love spell aimed at a particular person...forcing someone to love you with magick will inevitably backfire in some way. It's okay to acknowledge you're lonely and you'd like to have a love enter your life and do a spell asking for the deities to help you with this, but don't try to make "Miss so and so" by name fall madly and uncontrollably in love with you. And the general consensus is that you don't demand payment for doing a spell for someone else. You can ask them to supply any material things needed for it (candles, etc) if they specifically request for you to do a working for them, but the power should not be sold. And magick does take a lot of energy. It isn't just the lighting of a few candles and saying a few words out of some book. It's always best if you use your own words (they have more power for you than someone else's would) and you have to put a lot of will and energy it, directing it to the purpose you intend it for. And always remember, the energy you put out will come back to you with 3 times the power you put it out with...which is why you NEVER send out harm, hurt or hate in magick. And if you fear harm from another, it is always better to do a ritual for self protection or defence than it is to bind them with a binding spell. And I can attest to the fact that it does work...it has for me on many occasions. I have done healing, brought a daughter's lost puppy home, sent calm to a distressed friend, helped another find employment and yet another a home when he had nowhere to go. Mind you, so far in my own experiences, I have found that it works best when it is done for another and with a giving heart and much love. Love is a very powerful thing when used in magick...I think it should be a motivating factor in all spells, if possible. As for learning it, there are many books available and they all have differing points of view, as do many of the people here on which are best. IMO, you should never judge a book by its cover. Look inside it briefly, starting with the table of contents, and see what sorts of spells it teaches. If it talks about hurting others, making you rich, or making a specific person fall in love with you, forget it...it's a waste of money. The other thing is, don't expect to make a Wiccan spell work if you do not wish to believe the things of the Wicca, because most, if not all Wiccan spells call upon those things which are within the framework of the belief...like asking the Goddess, God or both to help out, or the powers of the elements (earth, air, fire & water). So before you try any spells, invest some time in learning about Wicca itself and see if it is for you. If it isn't, you'd be better off finding a Wiccan to do the spell for you, or find another magick-based religion that does make sense to you. Always be true to yourself in this...if a part of you is saying, "no, I don't feel right about this," listen to it...that means it probably isn't...at least not for you at that time. When I first went to a Wiccan circle at 16, it freaked me out and I wasn't ready for it....I just wasn't used to having that much energy around me while worshipping a deity. But I went to another a year later, and then it felt right. What works for you may not work for everyone and vice-versa. You are an individual and Wicca does, for the most part, respect that. If you find a group that pushes things (and people's wills and power trips) on you that you feel uncomfortable with, leave...chances are pretty good that you don't belong there. When you enter a circle, at least the second time if not the first (because you may be nervous at the first one), you should feel comfortable enough to enter it with perfect love and perfect trust. It's also not a good idea to leave one in the middle of it...especially running and screaming in fear ..it kind of ruins the concentration for the others and they won't appreciate that...but don't worry, there won't likely be anything THAT frightening going on. And above all...don't do a spell with the idea "Well, here goes nothing cause it ain't gonna work anyhow!" If you don't believe it will work, it won't. You have to believe it will...leave your skepticism behind when working a spell or you will be disappointed with the results. After all, why are you bothering to do it if you don't think it will work? And don't do just any spell to see if it will work...if you're going to do a spell, make sure you're doing it with a REAL need or intent. Empty or vain intent is a waste of time...you can't possibly put enough real energy into something if you don't really care about the result. Besides, the deities aren't there to prove anything to you...and they won't if that's all you're after. If you have any more questions on the things I have mentioned, ask away. That's what we're here for. And don't be afraid to ask in the Wicca echo...we really don't don't bite...besides, the moderator there has bigger teeth to bite back those who do . BB -=Amethyst=- 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718