From: Farrell McGovern Area: MagickNet To: All 20 Oct 94 18:41:26 Subject: Cyberpunk Magick UpdReq Found this on the internet... Capture file opened 20-Oct-1994 01:59p ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Enter Command: t Article #73065 (73092 is last): Newsgroups: alt.pagan,alt.magick From: onr@netcom.com (D. Owen Rowley) Subject: CyberSamhain 94 Date: Wed Oct 19 13:43:52 1994 I am forwarding a message from my friend and circle-mate Mark Pesce please respond to mark for further details. We have preliminary information that this event will be covered by a variety of Media, and it is entirely possible that this event will come to be known as a new marking-point for online magickal practice. Blessed Be D. Owen Rowley SILVER STAR - The S.F. Coven of Traditionalist Wicces. LUX ./. owen ************* CYBERSAMHAIN 94, The first in a series of virituals.' for help All over the world, for at least five thousand years (and probably very much longer), people have celebrated this time of year as the death of the Sun, of the Male Solar God; Apollo, Cerne, Pan, whatever the form - this is the end of the year, the end of the wheel. The God exits the wheel of time and passes into into the Shadow Lands, the realm of the spirits, where souls await their rebirth. In the brief span of pre-millenial time now left us, there is a growing understanding and respect for these archaic festivals, and an unconscious acknowledgement that our spooks, and how we celebrate them, tell us more about our selves than our gods. Unlike the rationalist, who would ignore the dark side of imagination, or the spiritualist, who accepts only the imaginary as real, we could find a middle path; one in which a consciousness of death is the consciousness of the mutability of our lives and selves, one in which we can remember our dead, and let them leave their gentle touch upon our spirits. But the end of the twentieth century is not merely a recapitulation of the human past; we have planted our flag upon a new continent of collective imagination, which has been named for us; Cyberspace. A place where we can communicate through infinitely mutable forms, in an inconceivable galaxy of sensation, this place awes and terrifies us; whatever we want in Cyberspace, we will find. Cyberspace is the Shadow Land of human technos; at the end of our striving we will find the perfect, still mirror in which we see only ourselves. This can be either good or ill; when a monkey looks into a mirror, no god looks out. But perhaps we would do well to acknowledge the divine within ourselves within Cyberspace; perhaps this will help us to understand the emanations which compose our reflection. On 27 October 1994, at Life On The Water in San Francisco, California, we will perform a ritual of CyberSamhain, a ritual which acknowledges and welcomes the God into his realm on the other side, within Cyberspace. He must pass through the Goddess, who is everywhere present and need be welcomed nowhere; before cyberspace took form, she was its firmament. The great advantage of a ritual within cyberspace is very clear; everyone who wishes can join with us, *wherever they may be in the world*, and participate in the ritual. We will be using two wonderful channels into cyberspace; Mosaic, which allows you to view hypermedia documents which span the Internet, and Labyrinth, a brand-new Internet visualization tool which creates a three-dimensional "view" of a space on the Internet. Real cyberspace. Using these tools, we will be casting a magick circle whose center will be everywhere and perimeter nowhere. The ritual will be available through Mosaic and the World Wide Web, as well as a Labyrinth-based view of the magick circle. Further, if anyone reading this feels compelled to participate, they may contribute text, graphics, or other media which will also be added to the site. Also, anyone who wants to contribute a totem (a three-dimensional representation) to be placed *within* circle during ritual will likewise be able to do that. If you are interested in participating or attending this event, please send mail ASAP to mpesce@hyperreal.com. We will get back to you with all details. Alternatively, check out the CyberSamhain home page on the World Wide Web at http://www.hyperreal.com/~mpesce/samhain.html. Thank you. IO EVOHE, and Blessed Be! Mark Pesce ************* -- (C) 1994 D. Owen Rowley onr@netcom.com ( also owen@autodesk.com ) [ EU-PHORIA: A STATE OF WELL BEING ] Euphoria is my natural state, I do what Ienjoy and an abundance of all good fortune comes to me for it. S9 b g+ l- y?/sb z++/- o++ x+ a-- u* j++|B2 f t w d+ g++ k+ s+ m(+) r- a= p ------------------------------- 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: MagickNet To: Josh Norton 19 Oct 94 08:20:18 Subject: Re: CHAOS UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Yo, dude! ;> Bizarre, completely irrelevant aside coming up--You Have Been Warned! I had a dream about you yesterday afternoon. I've never done any Enochian work, mainly because it's obviously such a complex system that I would like to be able to devote sufficient time to it, should I decide to go that way, rather than 'dabble,' and I have a lot of other things to learn, study, and practice before I'd even want to try. But this is the second 'nochie-flavored dream' I've had. The first one was kinda disconcerting; I was dreaming *in* Enochian--at least I thought so, since I don't 'know nochie'...and was hollering ORO IBAHE AOZP over and over. I had heard the name before, so it wasn't completely outa-the-blue, but I have no idea why I'd wanna be doing that! In the interim, during a deep meditative exercise, I had a strong--VEHEMENT is the word I'd use--image of a symbol that's unfamiliar to me, and an equally strong sense that it was in some way important. It looked like a three-dimensional, geometrical depiction of an arrow, pointing upward and slightly to the left, blue outline with gold lines inside. NEwayz, it's something I had a few ideas about, but want to do more meditative work to try to really 'grok.' Which brings me to the dream of yesterday. NEwayz, it was one of those weird dreams that doesn't feel like normal dreaming, nor yet like a 'lucid' dream, but almost like, while you know you're asleep, you're having a daydream, but the images are more like visions--if you have any idea at all what I'm getting at. You were doing something with the Aethyrs, and I was stuck in TEX. I got a clear pic of the same arrow-looking-thang, and heard a voice telling me that *you* knew what it was & what it meant. That's the basic 'meat'. So...is there anything you feel compelled to tell me? LOL!! ;> > RD> Water-Marks....oy ka fe fe...ignore me, please!> > > Too late -- I already barfed all over my monitor! Oh, sorry...I *do* hate when that happens! :/ > They can be a pain in the butt even for the enlighted. I recall a story > Crowley told about a Hindu Rishi/Mahatma/whatever who had to put on a > disguise and sneak out whenever he wanted to relax with a good dinner > and a show. His self-appointed followers couldn't believe that anyone in > such a high state of evolution would have an interest in anything as > mundane as being entertained. Is that the same story Crowley told about Vivekananda having to sneak out and cruise for pretty boyz? LOL! Personally, I make no claims to being enlightened, or anywhere close to. I'm still working on _artha_ and _kama_; _moksha_ can wait its proper turn. ;> > I find I've become more tolerant of Crowley's foibles lately. Any being > with a finite part -- even a Magus -- is going to be "flawed" in some > dimensions. Often those flaws are simply the flip side of some aspects > of character that is important to their magickal work. In Crowley's case > one might expect that, being a solar-martial manifestation, he would > present the nasty/sexist expressions of those forces as well as the > heroic/artistic ones. Hmmm. Very insightful...I don't think I've ever heard that idea expressed before. It makes eminent sense to me! Do you see this dynamic working the same way in your own magical career? I spoze it would apply equally well to anyone on any magical/spiritual path.... > Not busy enough, where money-producing activities are concerned. Been > riding the edge of stone broke for a couple of months now. Y'know, after having some absolutely *amazing* opportunities present themselves out of the blue , following on the heels when the financial situation was fast approaching desperate--I mean *really* desperate!!--I've gotten lazy, and been ignoring them/putting them off/working half-heartedly at them. Gads! It's been a great time--I've been able to really devote myself and my time to learning and practicing Things Magical--but it's time for the mundane inspiration to kick into gear now. IOW, stead of a pat on the head, I need a cosmic kick in the ass. ;> Thankfully, I've always been able to supply said kick when it's really necessary...so I might get a little quieter again for a while, while ghosting a b-o-r-i-n-g self-help book for a local shrink. :/ Since I'm pretty fond of carrot-and-stick, though, I've put off a writing project that *really* excites me until I can follow through on the agreement I made with the doc and give him a workable draft. How goes it? It goes... . ;> > Other than that, you might have seen my current project over in the > Enochian echo -- doing an exploration of all of the "91 Parts of the > Earth" from Dee's _Liber Scientia_. Got up to number 13 and found I had > to space them out a bit; I was getting overloaded. Probably do about one > a week from here on, unless it gets interesting again... Unfortunately, we seem to be one of the boards where the smooth flow of yer posts has been somewhat sporadic. IOW, not all of them are getting here. But yup, I did notice your name there recently! ;> No bizarre tagline? Awwww....bummer! Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: MagickNet To: Rainlake 19 Oct 94 09:40:20 Subject: Re: REPLY, PART ONE UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. > -> this morning--whew! ;> But Aum Natarajah Aum anyway! :> > -> > ??????? LOL...wow, I do remember that day! I'd done a Rite of Mars, and was feeling pretty 'martial.' Had a little trouble maintaining contact with Earth there for a while, truth to tell! Aum Natarajah Aum was a greeting in the name of Siva Nataraj--Lord of the Dance--Siva the Destroyer. This is and always has been my very *favorite* image of Lord Siva. I don't see anything scary or negative that isn't balanced, and more than compensated by, the transcendent aspects arising from Destruction. Just being silly, really! ;> > All-devouring nasal sprays? Oh, sorry, those are *Afrins*. What's an > Atrin? They're Hindu 'demons' of the devouring variety. If they like to snarf up bodies and souls, I don't see any reason why echo-posts wouldn't be equally tasty to a hungry Atrin! > I hear ya, girlfriend. They worked for me in a physical sense if > injected straight into the inflamed muscles along with procaine, but > the side effects sent me straight up the wall...and I was really afraid > the next wall would be the liquor-store one. (And they made my > so-far-rather-easy menopause go absolutely haywire.) After seven years > clean and sober, that just wasn't acceptable. At least my currently > active disease isn't terminal like active alcoholism is. I haven't had to deal with menopause yet, but the effects were nasty enough. :/ Mine took the form of emotional lability , along with almost-constant nausea and an EXTREMELY unwanted weight gain. :/ I suppose it did have its 'positive' aspects, in that before diagnosis, I was pretty vain and body-conscious, so I've been kind of forced to look for the beauty within, and learn to treat my body better in terms of exercise and attempts at healthy diet, whereas before I just kind of ignored it and let it chuff along. In some ways, I'm actually a healthier person than I was before the disease set in...but boy, it's taken FOREVER to come close to purging many of those physical effects after lengthy steriod treatment. I have a new physician, who is quite amenable to working *with* me to design a program of health, rather than doing things *to* me, so that's not going to be a problem for me--least not for a while. ;> > Alas, we need to try to suppress my cytokines (a family of immunity > chemicals) *without* suppressing adrenal function. Yow! I'm afraid I'd have absolutely *no* helpful, concrete advice for you then. Since I'm studying for certification as a Hatha Yoga instructor at the moment, there are plenty of classes on phisiology in store for me, but at the moment , my areas of knowledge really focus on things of personal import, rather than a wider study of the body and how it works, or doesn't. Best wishes to you though, of course! > Interesting. Does any of that relate to moonphase for you, or have you > noticed? I haven't paid that specific attention...more an awareness that it's much easier to achieve certain results when in relapse than when in remission. Those pesky lesions in the brain, I guess, aren't *all* bad! In the past, what I most noticed was that the effects manifested as mental confusion and emotional lability...I credit my meditative exercises with helping to stem some of that, and improve my concentration and focus, whereas the intuitive/visionary effects have not diminished--heightened, if anything. Still, when in remission, I have to 'work' a bit more to get there! > Shit, don't do anything rash like actuall becoming BALANCED....you'll > make the rest of us look bad!! LOL...don't think you have to start worrying any time *soon*! ;> > Sounds like it sucks. My two "little friends" are autoimmune myalgic > encephalomyelitis (the nastier and more disabling form of what Americans > insist on calling "chronic fatigue syndrome") and fibromyositis. The > combination is substantially worse in terms of easy muscle inflammation > and exhaustion and such than either separately. So I have to be > incredibly cautious about what I do and don't do...and, like you, I've > had plenty of days when I had to hang onto the wall to get to the bed > without collapsing. But mine doesn't do some of the nasty stuff over > time that MS does, for which I'm profoundly grateful. Bummer. :/ ;> Something ironic I noticed...there are a whole, bizarre list of symptoms associated with --well, I guess *any* CNS disorder-- and there have been several times when I've thought to myself "Well, at least I don't have any problems with {fill in nasty symptom of yer choice}. I would absolutely *not* be able to handle *that*." And...et voila!...suddenly 'That' manifests next relapse. LOL! The interesting part is, somehow, I *have* been able to manage all those un-manageable things. If the time comes when something does knock me flat and I don't feel I can deal with it...well, I'll figure that out when I get there. Till then, I just keep truckin. > Wanna hear about good herbal muscle relaxants? Or have you found 'em > all already? I've researched the matter a bit, but am far from expert . Sure, would love to! > -> gonna lie down and go to sleep in the snow, know what I mean? ;> > -> > > No, actually I don't, and that's an ongoing problem for me with your > posts. PLEASE don't get me wrong: you are a very bright and interesting > lady, and we DO have a lot in common, and I love it that you want to > talk about this stuff, especially so helpfully. So I very definitely > don't wanna come across rude or ungrateful here. But to be honest, it > would be helpful if you'd write in English. Few people on this net are > scholars of Sanskrit or Indian philosophy, let alone both; and to be > even more honest, most of us are probably just not going to do what it > takes become so anytime soon. Nor would giving us non-Indo-scholarly > types a one-shot glossary help much either, I'm guessing....I get one > read-through of these messages at somewhere between midnight and 3 > a.m., with a fever-fogged memory, f'rinstance. Many others do their > BBSing after a hard day's work and with squalling kids in the > background. (I only have a squalling cat.) ::giggle:: Actually, in the above context, I was saying "Know what I mean?" about the idea of not being willing to 'lie down and go to sleep in the snow.' IOW, no matter how tempting, I ain't giving up, in, or out. ;> The Sanskrit terms used were simply the names of hatha yoga asanas and pranayama . I wasn't sure at that point if you were interested in suggestions along those lines, so was throwing out a few more or less stream-of-consciousness thoughts about postures and exercises that I thought might be helpful to you, as they have been eminently helpful to me. Since reading the post I'm replying to, it sounds as though our medical conditions are sufficiently different that I really wouldn't have any idea what to recommend as possibly helpful anyway, other than basic stuff: ie, Savasana, which is the 'corpse pose,' with any kind of mental relaxation technique that any individual finds personally helpful, etc. Don't worry about hurting my feelings--I realize that not everything that's been valuable to me is universal--and also recognize that I tend to wax pedantic sometimes, probably because I do *my* bbs'ing immediately after completing my daily morning rituals, online without benefit of an OLR, and with varying amounts of Sacred Coffee having been consumed before various posts. ;> > I truly hope that doesn't hurt your feelings. No, it didn't. Love is the law, love under will. Love is the law, love under will. Love is the law, love under will. Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Frank Mertus Area: MagickNet To: Rose Dawn 20 Oct 94 11:48:50 Subject: RPSTOVAL UpdReq RD>I note that your bbs address is in Oregon. The latest _Magical Link_ RD>lists the following local O.T.O. bodies in Oregon: RD>Coph Nia Oasis, P.O. Box 11921, Eugene, OR 97440 RD>Portland Camp, P.O. Box 42075, Portland, OR 97242. Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law, RPSTOVAL oasis is in Medford, Oregon. (Be damned if I can remember the po box .) Also, Portland has a couple of new ones as well. Love is the law, love under will. --- ~ OLX 2.1 ~ Lead me not into Temptation, for I already know the Way. -- DLG Mailroom:QWK v1.0 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kai Mactane Area: MagickNet To: Martin Krogh-Poulsen 20 Oct 94 03:02:04 Subject: Re: altered states UpdReq -=> Yglr'th Martin Krogh-poulsen zrlq Joseph Max z'qwan "Altered states"? -=> F'dzeh nyq'rhg: MK> TM (Transcendental Meditation) had projects going on that MK> were like that! Their projects were only to show how goood MK> The only thing "Bad" about their research is that they only MK> examined One kind of Gnostic trance! What about the fact that they falsified data? I'd call that "bad" in a scientific study. --Kai MacTane. ... Line noise provided by Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone! ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Tony Davis Area: MagickNet To: Frank Mertus 21 Oct 94 22:49:50 Subject: Re: RPSTOVAL UpdReq RPSTOVAL is 625B E Jackson #331 Medford, OR 97504-6712 that'd be us... drop us a line... fr. tony 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718