From: Flax Trickster Area: MagickNet To: Warreasta 16 Jul 94 10:29:06 Subject: Familiars UpdReq WW> nose as me. I figured it has to be with her being a black cat and WW> having done all this magik stuff before. Could very well be! And if that is the case, that may show that there is something much better then the craft out there... something we haven't tapped into yet. My birdy buddy is usually ok as long as he is near me. Get him further away, and he can get quite upset. He's on the floor at the moment, eating the juniper needles I spilled earlier this morning while making some incense! B*B, Flax ___ X RM 1.3 02132 X "I am my path... Wicca is my tool." 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Flax Trickster Area: MagickNet To: Vampire 16 Jul 94 10:32:08 Subject: Familiars UpdReq VV> hello there, i am fairly new to this echo and stuff, but anyway, i VV> found your post a little odd because my cat (which i don't consider VV> a familiar) always insists on being around when I am using tarot as VV> well... I have never understood it, sometimes she even lays on my VV> spread! Anywy, just thought I would share this bizzare behavior. She VV> always seems to know when I am casting them, she will wake up from VV> the other side of the house and come over to the room i am in just VV> to watch. I have found this of my cat as well... she LOVES spreads. (My bird likes to pick up the cards and run away with them, sometimes... my cat just likes to lie on them!) I think animals are drawn to the magnetic field/energy/power that magick has... when we handle the cards in a way that is ready for divination, I think the small folk feel it and come running. And maybe it is so comforting that that is why they lay on it? Cats... they are such a pain in the rear, but ya gotta love em. :-) B*B, Flax ___ X RM 1.3 02132 X Dogs come when you call. Cats have answering machines. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Gaia Area: MagickNet To: ROSEBUD 18 Jul 94 03:29:00 Subject: magic UpdReq ROSEBUD SAID: RO>i would be interested in learning uses for magic. Is there anyone out there RO>that would be so kind to teach me??? Later RO> GAIA SMILES: Dear Rosebud, I suspect you will get many different kinds of replies on this one! Let me explain: this is like asking someone to tell you the secrets of the universe, or everything there is to know about Science, in 50 words or less. You must understand that "magic" is a very broad topic, and it takes years to "learn" to understand and practice. The magick that many of us practice is not "parlour magic" or "tricks" (like David Copperfield) or even "spells" (solely) for personal gain. It is a kind of spiritual practice which involves the development of the mind, spirit, emotions and will to bring about both personal transformation and universal (material) change. There are many, many different kinds of magick (note the alternate spelling, many of us use it precisely to differentiate it from "parlour magic"). As far as uses: Most generally, magick is "used" for personal and universal transformation - in every realm/ concern of human life, physical and non-physical. You need to find a teacher, not just send out a general, "Hey, everybody, tell me about this!" since magick is a spiritual practice and requires ethics, discipline, knowledge and wisdom. You can find a teacher by checking out where magickal people congregate: metaphysical/ used bookstores, workshops, special interest groups, etc., and being an *intelligent, thoughtful* consumer: studying, asking questions, reading, observing people and how they function, and asking for whatever spritual guidance you believe in, as well as preparing yourself by living the best way *you know how* - whatever that means to you. This isn't a game you're approaching; it's a way of life, a religious/ spiritual system, so approach it with respect, thoughtfulness, deliberation. There are many different people here on this board who can and will give you great suggestions - some suggestions will agree with each other, some will violently disagree. Listen to your own inner wisdom, your best self, keep studying, keep searching, keep an open heart and mind, and prepare for the adventure of your life! - Unless, of course, you're not up to it. Then you may want to go back to a RPG or something (no put-down there, just the truth - this way isn't for everyone!). I would be happy to answer any further questions you might have. (Just so you know) I am a Wiccan High Priestess, teacher, and psychologist. Blessed Be, Gaia. --- OLX 2.1 TD He's not dead, Jim. He's metabolically challenged. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718