From: Joseph Max Area: ENOCHIAN To: Julia Phillips 20 Oct 94 10:47:30 Subject: Re: enochian 101 UpdReq S> One of Michael Moorcocks truisms was that ritual is less S> necessary in emergency - rather a psychic adrenaline kicks in S> when magick is paramouunt and survival demands access to the S> cycles themselves. I agree with Moorcock's basic statement, but see another possible explanation for the effect he describes. Three factors appear to enter in to the application of effects magick: a symathetic link to the object of the operation, a symbolic link to the operator's mind, and the achievment of magickal trance. The more immediate the links and deeper the trance the better chance there is of projecting the Will to cause change to occur. The gnostic trance is simply that in which the mind functions completely in the "now" without interference. Terror is a grand old tradition in magickal initiation found in many cultures. Such negative emotions as fear, terror, revulsion, anxiety, etc. are as capable of inducing a gnostic state as positive emotions like exaltation and sexual climax. The purpose of ritual is to focus the Will upon the object of the operation and usually the object is removed from the performance of the ritual by time and/or space. But in a life-or-death situation, the mind is _supremely_ focus on the object, so the need to use ritual to raise the correct emotional responses is greatly diminished. Also the sympathetic link is more easily accomplished - it is at "point-blank range" as it were. Of course, the more used to handling one's own emotional responses and psychological states one is, the more adept one will be in an emergrncy situation - training kicks in when there is no time for conscious deliberation. So the use of regular ritual work as a training regimen is extremely beneficial! Just my two-kopeks worth... ...I'll go back on topic now, Mr. Moderator, I promise... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718