From: Josh Norton Area: ENOCHIAN To: Starchild 16 Sep 94 14:47:02 Subject: enochian 101 UpdReq Thus said Starchild to Shadow Walker concerning enochian 101: Hi Starchild! St> Merry Meet. This is my entrance into this echo. I hope St> you'll pardon my butting in, but I couldn't resist the St> topic. Always feel free to comment. St> I find myself wondering where the both of you came by your St> concepts of banishing. In light of my own concepts of St> banishing, yours seem a little confusing to me. Help? St> Admittedly, I haven't backtracked the thread, just having St> acquired the echo, but; JN seems to be describing, to me, St> what I do when I put up a circle - the "wall," or "boundary St> between the worlds of men and the realms of the mighty St> ones..." However, and jointly, your descriptions actually St> speak more to me of protection, even warding. St> When I ward something, I place a protective spell, sometimes aided by St> tools, stones, or natural fauna, around the thing or place, and St> invoke protection or reflection, much like what I or my St> coven might do when raising a Circle. St> To me, a banishing has one of several very specific meanings. One, St> quite common to many of us, is a -releasing- of energies and/or St> magickal structures -- such as releasing the Watchtowers, St> or putting down the Circle. In the Golden Dawn / Crowley way of doing things (with which I grew up), a banishing can serve several purposes: -- To "clean out" an area of unwanted influences (whether deliberately malicious or simply random in nature) prior to the performance of an invocation, and to keep them out for the duration of the ceremony. This sort of banishing is defining the area of work, and is followed by a general invocation or consecration to fill it with a generic "positive" energy before the specific invocation. I assume this is more or less equivalent to "raising a circle" in Wiccan practice? -- To clean out the aura of the magician, or "purify" it in some way. This is the use to which the G.D. usually put the Pentagram Ritual. -- More rarely, to release unused powers back into the general environment after an invocation. In regard to my own practices, remember that I've been at this business a long time, and my methods have gotten more than a little idiosyncratic. They're suited to my own nature and conditions, and likely would not be appropriate for someone less experienced, or with different talents. The problem with the first of these purposes is that while certain types of forces can be cleared out of an area, any circle a human being can create is going to remain transparent to many other forces. Environmental (as opposed to invoked) astrological forces in particular aren't affected at all by banishings, or by any sort of shielding. They pass through the region of working, and act on the magician, whether you want them there or not. This is why medieval magicians were so obsessed with chosing favorable astrological times to do their workings. And no matter how "high" an initiate you become, there's _always_ some force operating at a sufficiently higher -- or lower -- level that you can't control it, but which can still affect you. The "completely uninfluenced being" is a figment of the intellect. So banishing as a means of "clearing" an area isn't terribly effective. It's like putting up a three-inch high wall around you; it keeps some minor nuisances out of the way, but the big ones can step right over it. It IS useful when you're at the stage where little things distract you easily, but I find that my concentration is sufficient to overcome those sorts of things. The circle-as-container view isn't really relevant to my everyday work, since the only thing I'm trying to influence is my own being and perceptions. My magickal body does just fine as a container for that purpose. I do use astral structures in some of my major workings, but in those cases the structures are intended to be permanent homes for the forces, and aren't shut down at the end of a session. The second of the listed purposes is really a mental trick. The Pentagram ritual, properly done, doesn't simply push out impurities. Rather, the magician _invokes_ a force with a higher vibration rate, absorbs some of that energy into himself to _replace_ a force of similar nature but lower vibration rate. It's just like the pranayama exercise in which you visualize light coming into your body on the inhalation, and visualize it blowing out through your aura on the exhalation. [continued next message...] ... Perhaps if I revert to human form it will calm them. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Josh Norton Area: ENOCHIAN To: Starchild 16 Sep 94 14:54:04 Subject: enochian 101 UpdReq [...continued from previous message] St> [re: banishing as release of energies] This is an accepted, and St> expected action. To leave an energy or a magickal St> structure up and running (except when and if intentionally St> and properly time-capsuled), and unattended is, to me, an St> abuse of magick. I believe we can agree on this, nicht war? I'm not familiar with this "time-capsule" idea. Care to explain? As a general principle, I don't think I agree with this. I have several magickal structures that have been up and running, usually unattended, for years now. And others I've created where I've been told to stay away from them for a time so that they could grow properly. As far as I can tell, none of these has ever done any damage. Most of the magickal work I do now takes multiple sessions to accomplish, (e.g. the "Comselha" working described here a while ago) and I don't banish between sessions; that would defeat the purpose of the exercise. In any sort of creative magick -- especially of the thaumaturgic variety -- it is generally thought that after you have invoked a force and shaped it to your purpose, you have to release it into the environment to fulfill its purpose without further interference from the magician. This is not the same as releasing unused energy from an invocation; the structure remains intact. In magick that is part of the Great Work it is often the case that a current of power is invoked from a higher level, attached to some lower- plane object (such as a talisman, or a book or article, or a thought- form) as an anchor, and then allowed to radiate its power onto all the levels in between, touching _anyone_ who resonates with it. The intent is not to create a specific action in a particular person, but to create a mass reaction among those who are sensitive to the energy, so that each responds to the energy in their own way, and "grounds" it in a variety of different mental, emotional, and physical circumstances. In all three of these instances the magickal power is essentially (and in two cases, _necessarily_) outside the magician's control for long periods of time, with structure intact. As for the unused energy left over in an invocation, I find that it generally disperses by itself once my attention is directed elsewhere, without creating any effects on other people. I've heard the usual warnings from writers and teachers over the years, but have never actually seen any of the things they warn about. Given this lack of events, I don't worry about formal releases too much. St> Yet another is a bit darker, more insidious, and -not- to be lightly St> trifled with. It is the intentional performing of a direct act of St> banishing -- a ritual of intent, directed at a person or St> entity, or directed towards an action or inaction from said St> person or entity. St> [....] St> The darkest, and most dangerous by far St> is the attempt to banish a person or thing from existance - St> [....] I've never had any interest in either of these, so they haven't been an issue. I don't deal with spirits on a coercive basis (or with the sort of spirit that needs to be coerced), and other people can do what they want. There's been a few times when someone tried to "banish" me this way, but so far they've never done worse than give me a case of mental indigestion for a few days. St> Do any of these fit within your own concepts? I'd appreciate hearing St> more. Further, are your practices governed by such guidelines as St> the Rede, or the Threefold Law, or other guiding premise; St> or are your practices bound/not bound by some other oath, St> ethic, or premise? I've only taken one real magickal oath in my life; only one was necessary. Much of it can't be verbalized, but the essential points can: 1) To follow the path of initiation as far as I can take it, and to never give up. 2) To never, ever, allow myself to become obligated to another person, entity or group as part of my magickal work. 3) To never subordinate myself to concepts and beliefs, but to make my own experience in magickal work the primary basis for my understanding of the universe and myself. 4) To never take a position of spiritual "authority" over another person. This policy of "neither a follower nor a leader be" has expanded into a generally libertarian approach to things. But I'm probably not terribly consistent in my application of it. ... Nattily noodling my navel near Nirvana. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Christeos Pir Area: ENOCHIAN To: StarChild 17 Sep 94 00:27:58 Subject: enochian 101 UpdReq -=> StarChild sent a message to Shadow Walker on 13 Sep 94 19:40:30 <=- -=> Re: enochian 101 <=- Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. St> To leave St> an energy or a magickal structure up and running (except when and if St> intentionally and properly time-capsuled), and unattended is, to me, St> an abuse of magick. How so? F'rinstance, what's the good of building up an astral temple, if you're just going to tear it down each time? Love is the law, love under will. - Christeos Pir ... And this is the grace of God, that these things should be thus. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718