From: Gordon Area: ENOCHIAN To: Josh Norton 22 Aug 94 13:09:58 Subject: Re: enochian 101 UpdReq I have to agree with your views on mental health, Josh. I haven't worked as a mental health provider, but I did a fair amount of freelance work as a mental health researcher, and while I was at it I took full advantage of the opportunity to comb the various abstracts indexes for references to occult phenomena, magick, etc. Now, in fairness, this was several years ago, before "ritual abuse" was a touchstone issue in the Psychological world. What I found was an absence of any real indications that the study of magick leads to severe mental health problems. Given the number of magical practitioners in the U.S. since the 1960's, and the obvious "high profile" publication value of the topic, it seems unthinkable that if there was any significant incidence, there would not be a body of published material. There is, for example, on Satanism (primarily in relation to young teens - there were no clear references to organized Setian practitioners). The fact is that the only real references on Magic were incidences of panic among African immigrants, whose belief system includes animistic magical practices. Occult topics occured, but in most instances it was very clear that the references were to Satanic practices derived from buying "The Satanic Bible" at Waldenbooks, and the coverage really focused on teen rebellion and social disorders, with occult practices as a symptom of cultural alienation. It seems to me that if mental health disorders due to magical practice were common enough that any given individual was likely to see more than one in, say, a five year period, there would be a *much* larger body of literature. I'm not calling the previous poster a liar, merely suggesting perhaps he misinterpreted the significance of magical practice as part of an overall diagnosis of a pre-existing disorder. On a personal level, I also have to agree with a certain amount of natural selection...those who are not competent or are unstable will not achieve, and if they fail so badly they are unable to continue their current life, perhaps that is really for the best. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718