From: Josh Norton Area: ENOCHIAN To: Fir 10 Aug 94 16:41:00 Subject: Enochian language UpdReq Thus said Fir to Josh Norton concerning Enochian language: Fi> Hi Josh! Hi! Fi> Early on in your Enochian workings, did you ever come Fi> across some Enochian entities and feel a frustration Fi> that they wanted to converse with you but you had to be Fi> able to talk in the Enochian language to do so? Hey -- that STILL happens to me all the time. I don't think it's so much that you would need to speak Enochian, but rather that your mind (or mine) doesn't currently have the connections among ideas, symbols, and levels to make sense of what they want to get across. The solution -- to the extent the problem has one -- is to keep invoking, even pushing the frequency of your invocations a bit beyond what I've elsewhere prescribed as "safe" levels. And hope that continued exposure to the energies will break up whatever blockages there are to receiving whatever they want to tell you, and build up new connections that will help it make sense. But even when you do this, you can't always expect immediate results. Back when I was doing the "Touring the Earth Tablet" and "Book of the Seniors" invocations, I had this continuing sense that there was something behind the overt manifestations that I was missing. It took over a year -- and a bad case of burnout -- before that missing stuff finally came to the surface in the form of an extended series of realizations connected with the INRI formula. The question, then, would be whether you want to push things to the extent necessary to make the breakthrough. In my case, the consequences involved both mental and physical problems, and (indirectly but definitely) the loss of my job at the time. For me it was worth it. For someone else? I dunno. Fi> Also (being quite lazy here in asking the question), what is Fi> your understanding of how the English translation of the Fi> Enochian words was derived? From reading "A True Relation..." it seems to me that the angels gave most of the translations through Kelly, a few days after the Enochian versions of the Calls were received. The remainder were given in the same session as the corresponding Call. In most cases, the translation seems fairly reliable, viewed with cross- reference to the other Calls. There are a couple of places where there seems to have been a bit of a problem. In the Tenth Key, the translation loses synch from the enochian words "yor volhim ol gixyax"; either there are some enochian words missing, or the translation is incorrect. James seems to think the former is the case. In the Eleventh Key, the translation reads: "...and the Eagle spake and cried with a loud voice: Come away! And they gathered them together in the house of death." The Enochian suggests a better translation might simply be: "...Come away to the house of death." Aside from that, there are a couple of places where the translation seems to be more poetic than literal, but not enough to raise questions. ... It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Josh Norton Area: ENOCHIAN To: Tony Iannotti 10 Aug 94 11:59:00 Subject: Re: charts UpdReq Thus said Tony Iannotti to Josh Norton concerning Re: charts: JN> Yeah -- I even tried to get in on it at one point. But it looks like JN> Star in the Circle's connection is one-way incoming. Besides, the JN> signal-to-noise ratio on Alt.Magick is too low for my tastes. TI> I have a real two-way connection, but I'm not allowed to pass it out TI> of the network here. Prolly to far to call for a low s2n ratio anyway, TI> but consider yourself invited! Thanks Tony. Since I'm already dialing up Anon regularly, I'll probably pull down the posts through Star in the Circle and upload any comments through Anon. That should keep the phone bills to the minimum possible. ... Zeus was deified, saw Suez. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Josh Norton Area: ENOCHIAN To: Ar Aakhu-T 10 Aug 94 22:36:02 Subject: Question UpdReq Thus said Ar Aakhu-t to Josh Norton concerning Question: AA> 93- Hi AA! AA> One of the occupational hazards of being an Oasis AA> Master is that people ask you all sorts of questions AA> assuming that, of course, you are one of the enlightened AA> masters of the cosmos. (At least it's a nice reminder of AA> your own ignorance :) Heehee. Now you know why I refuse to be a teacher -- people hate it when you say "I don't know". AA> I had one question posed which I'd like to forward to you as AA> someone with considerable experience in enochian. An individual AA> pointed out to me that their name, first middle initial AA> and last, appeared on one of the enochian tablets, using AA> the same rules of continuity by which names of the various AA> spirits are traced out. Surprisingly, they were right. They AA> wanted to know what it all meant, and I haven't the AA> foggiest. Any ideas? Haw -- talk about synchronicities! I'm listening to my Walkman, and at the moment I started reading your post, the station started playing an old Gershwin tune -- "It Ain't Necessarily So". Check out the lyrics to see how apropos it is. (I suspect you DO know what to tell them -- you just want to pass the buck to someone far enough away to avoid the unpleasant repercussions of a correct-but-unsatisfying answer! Well, I'm game... it's a dull afternoon here, anyway.) So, "What does it all mean, Mr. Natural?" The short answer: it probably doesn't mean anything. Given the limited number of vowels and consonants available in English and Enochian, and the tremendous variety of their combinations that serve as people's names, it was bound to happen that some person's name would be found in the Tablets. In fact, my own first name is found in the Water Tablet, and my initials are contiguous seven or eight places in the Tablets. And I can find several combinations I've seen as proper names without half trying -- "Curra", "Yaum", "Troi", "F. Monda", etc., etc. It's no big deal. OTOH, I would hesitate to say that it _definitely_ doesn't mean anything; there's always a possibility. This question really isn't about Enochian magick per se; it's an instantiation of a larger question, the answer to which is the goal of all initiatory magick: "Who am I? And what is my relationship to the rest of the universe?" Or, in Thelemic cant: "What is my true will?" The question can only be answered by the person who asks it; the answer comes gradually over years or decades, as work and experience supply the keys to his or her particular puzzle. That being the case, I wouldn't presume to give a definitive answer about the person's connection, if any, to the Enochian magick. But some general observations might be of help. (Regular readers have heard all this before -- they can skip to the end of the message.) [Ramble mode ON] The main problem with deciding on the significance of such connections is that, if you decide on a definition prematurely you lock yourself into a form that is limiting, inadequate, or distorted; or is simply so far from the real state of affairs as to be meaningless. Then the universe has to go to trouble of disabusing you of these incorrect notions before it can give you some better ones. At the best, this process is mildly embarrassing. At the worst, it can be fatal, like the fellow who decided that the angels would bear him up if he stepped off the roof of a four-story building. Even adepts can get screwed up by holding on to a notion past its time of usefulness. Frater Achad is a good example. By clinging to the idea that he was Crowley's "magickal child", and the role that came with it, he put himself in a position where he accomplished almost nothing in the last two decades of his life. He had the potential for introducing some really radical changes into magickal philosophy, but couldn't let go of the past enough to let them into his perceptions. As a result he got sidetracked into his endless feud with Crowley, and his fruitless campaign to destroy the magickal power of the Catholic Church. Other folks had to use his early work as a springboard to take it further -- sometimes, as with Kenneth Grant, totally screwing it up in the process. Since initiatory magick, by definition, is a constant opening up of the person to things beyond his current conceptions, it follows that almost ANY idea we have will eventually need modification. Under such circumstances, the attitude of the Gershwin song is the best policy: "It ain't necessarily so." Call it "suspended judgment" -- a refusal to given any definite significance to an event; one should neither believe nor disbelieve. And equally important, refusing to become emotionally or intellectually attached to any of the possible interpretations of an event that might pop into one's mind. I've found that if you suspend judgment long enough, eventually an event will fall into it's proper place in the skein of your thoughts without conscious effort. And it's almost never the place you would have thought on first viewing. It's also been my experience that connections like the one in question, that jump out at you freighted with a sense of profound-but-unknown meaning, tend to become much _less_ significant as time provides the perspective to understand what they really mean. And conversely, events that have ridiculous and minor-seeming beginnings can turn out to be very important when viewed in the long run. An example of the first sort: Back around the time I started in magick, self-professed "psychics" used to stop me on the street and tell me how they sensed I had Great Spiritual Power (caps theirs) and was destined to do great things in the world. This happened often enough that I started believing it -- who wouldn't want to? It was a great boost to the ego. But when I took my oath of commitment to the path of initiation, the usual "instant karma" clause took effect, and I was quickly disabused of the ego-boosting effect. By the time I got to the point where I could actually _do_ something with the power I have, the universe I knew existed was expanding faster than my ability to perceive and act on it. And when I actually met beings with real power -- like the god who created the enochian system -- they were so far beyond my level that the differences between me and the average uninitiated Joe are barely perceptible by comparison. Those psychics were perfectly correct from their own viewpoint, or my own pre-initiation viewpoint. But now their statements are cause for a moment's chuckle and not much more. "We're all bozos on this bus." An example of the second sort: In the early 80's, there was a fad for magick writers to adopt mysterious names and numbers as noms-de-plume: "Purusas 252", "Lavavoth 793", "Samamam 137". This seemed to me to be both faintly pompous and reminiscent of the graffitti on NYC subway cars. My sense of the absurd got the better of me for a moment, and I transliterated my mundane name into Hebrew in such a way that its value was 444. My small contribution to Operation Mindfuck -- I would tell anyone who asked that I was the cabalistic counterbalance to Crowley's 666, and that by combining the two, the universe would first be reduced to 1, and thence to Zero. 666 + 444 = 1110, or 111 -> 0. (This was a time when Crowleyolatry was much more obtrusive than today.) I used it on three papers before I started getting letters addressed to BNIAMIN ROVH 444. My gods, people were taking it SERIOUSLY!!!! So much for that joke. But it turned out the joke was on me. Anyone who's read my stuff knows that practically everything I've done in the years since then connects directly or indirectly to the number 4, or to 4+4+4 = 12. And the balance-to-Crowley part of the joke also fits it, both directly through my connections with Frater Achad, and in a more general way through the Terrible Twins (Set and Horus), and the INRI formula. That silly little prank turned out to be the keynote of years of work. I can only assume that my unconscious knew what was coming when it came up with the joke. The moral of all this is that you never know in advance what's going to be important in discovering your True Will. The only sure thing is that your perspective will wobble many times before you get to the end. Don't reject anything out of hand, and don't take anything too seriously in the absence of substantial confirmation over time. ... Pilgrim, I admire your...sand. -- Marion Michael Morrison ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: ENOCHIAN To: Mark O. Garrison 10 Aug 94 16:46:56 Subject: RE: Hello UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. MOG> for a long while...it is far too nice to be back! :) :) MOG> The only thing nice about my disappearance is that I did have MOG> much more time to devote to my occult studies, or more hmmm...weird....i just got this post, (dated 12-93)...hmm, even the postal service does better! };-] don't know if you're still around, but i thought i would say hi! Love is the law, love under will. --k-- 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718