From: Josh Norton Area: ENOCHIAN To: Shadow Walker 4 Aug 94 11:36:00 Subject: enochian 101 UpdReq Thus said Shadow Walker to Josh Norton concerning Re: enochian 101: JN> I've said before at some length that the primary danger I see in JN> enochian magick is over-stimulation, leading to stress and eventually JN> to burn-out. The cure for this lies in careful pacing of the intervals JN> between invocations, and would not be helped much by adding the usual JN> ceremonial trappings to the invocations. SW> What do you mean by "usual ceremonial trappings" ? If you SW> refer to instruments SW> I feel though they may be important they need not SW> physically be present. Though SW> essential in spirit. SW> .... SW> when using banishing I think of not clearing away evil but SW> sort of like cleaning up after your guest has left. It also SW> serves as a good way to decompress a bit and clear ones mind as SW> not to confuse impressions. I meant pre- and post-invocation banishings, general and preliminary invocations, etc., etc. Enochian magick is one of the few types where the rule of "invoke often" isn't always the best course. When the magician is doing frequent Enochian invocations, the results tend to spill out of the ceremonial context and into his everyday life. This seems to happen regardless of how well he "closes the temple" at the end of a session. Pacing the sessions -- doing them at longer intervals -- allows a period for the magickal environment to cool off, and for the magician's mind to integrate the invoked energies into itself. Another problem -- which may not apply to your particular methods -- is that banishing methods that use Enochian divine names (such as a modified Pentagram Ritual) often end up _invoking_ the very forces they are supposed to banish. There was a discussion of this here a while ago, and the general concensus was that such methods require a great degree of concentration and a very steady intent to make them work right. JN> As for banishings as a general practice, my personal feeling is that JN> the concept is a bit oxymoronic. I perceive myself as being thoroughly JN> and irrevocably connected to the rest of the universe; trying to put JN> up a wall between my "self" and the rest of it seems about as JN> practicable as putting one between my sense of humor and my sense of JN> irony. SW> Maybe not a wall but the focusing of a lens. I'm not sure what you're getting at here. SW> I agree!!! But there is something very pure about Enochian. So SW> much so that a person need not have any conscious knowledge of SW> magick or ritual to have the other than conscious mind to SW> sieze upon these symbols SW> and react to the confusion of the exposed individual. Again, I don't see this as a specifically Enochian problem. The first effect of _any_ strong inflow of magickal energy is to stir up the preconscious parts of the being, to break up any incompatible forms and energy-complexes existing there, and to bring the resulting detritus to the surface. You can't get away from this effect; it's intrinsic to the process of initiation. JN> And having that crap pop up JN> and bite you is the best motivation there is for getting rid of it. JN> Since such events seem to only rarely produce permanent injuries, JN> perhaps its better that the magician experience it as early as JN> possible. SW> Only if you asked and are prepared for it. These are not SW> waters to be thrown in to see if you swim. Hmmm. I would posit that anyone who is involved in initiatory magick has effectively "asked for it". It is certainly true for anyone who has made a definite oath of commitment to the path of initiation. It's been my observation that folks who try to wait until they're "prepared" before getting into serious work never really get anywhere. This is simply because you CAN'T prepare in any meaningful fashion for magickal experiences. Preparation assumes that you know ahead of time what you are getting into, that the future will always be like the past; and magick produces an endless stream of experiences that are nothing like what you have had before. If it didn't, there wouldn't be any point in doing it. At some point you have to jump into the water without certainty of the outcome, trusting that the innate qualities of your being will be sufficient to pull you through it. And most of the time, they will. The instances where they won't, while sometimes painful, are still useful and assure a better chance of success on the next effort. ... Jesus, Toto, let's lay off the windowpane, OK? ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Fir Area: ENOCHIAN To: Josh Norton 4 Aug 94 17:37:22 Subject: Re: CHARTS UpdReq Hi Josh! > Happy B'day, BTW. Thanks! One more year till 40. Don't think I'm ready for 40 yet. >Fi> So have you analyzed the charts and drawn any conclusions? JN> I'm still letting it soak in at the point. All that twelfth-house > stuff > seems appropriate for a seer of his sort, but beyond that I can't > say. Yep. Like Christeos suggested that 12th house sure stands out! There's an Enochian thread going on in alt.magick that Anon carries, BTW, in case you haven't seen it yet. Blessings, Fir 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718