From: Josh Norton Area: ENOCHIAN To: Fir 26 Jul 94 12:51:02 Subject: enochian 101 UpdReq Thus said Fir to Josh Norton concerning enochian 101: Fi> Hi Josh! Howdy! Fi> Within the hierarchy of Enochian spirits, do you hold with the idea Fi> that it is desired to have the higher ups cooperation in Fi> controlling the spirits on the lower end of the hierarchy? Fi> As I recall you don't hold with 'controlling' the spirits period, Fi> but do you understand the question I am trying to ask? I'm not entirely sure I do. If what follows doesn't answer your question, then you'll have to clarify it. I don't think that control as such enters into the issue, since (according to Dee's records) the angels are "bound by their covenant with God" to deal with the magician in a responsive and appropriate manner. I've found this to be the case, with the occasional exception of the "cacodemons". OTOH, it is equally obvious that in most cases you get a stronger response from a given angel if you first invoke some of the names higher up the ladder. The King and Seniors respond to the Three Names of God, the Kerubic angels respond to the five-letter god-name formed with a letter from the Tablet of Union, and the so-called "Servient" angels respond to the six- and five-letter names of God for their lesser angle. But this can be overdone. I've found that invoking ALL the names higher on the ladder (a la Schueler, et. al.) just confuses things; you get several different ranks trying to respond to you simultaneously, and it becomes difficult to sort out which part of the response belongs to whom. To my mind, the "higher" names to which an angel responds serve several purposes: -- If you study the Calls, you'll note that in every instance the language is such that the user is speaking as the minister or representative of the Enochian god. A "minister" in the Elizabethan magickal sense is a being who possesses the same nature as a higher being, but who is somewhat less in terms of scope and power. Being god- like (according to the world-view of the Calls) we are already "above" the angels in rank and can direct them in our own right, without calling in extraneous beings to do the job for us. Invoking the god-names above an angel serves to gather into the magician a portion of the sort of power that the angel perceives as being "god", thus emphasizing our relationship to their creator. -- This same energy serves to condition the magickal space around us in such a way that the angel can respond more readily, providing it with a congenial environment and giving it additional power to work with. -- Invoking the higher powers serves to help tune the magician into the proper mode of perception to communicate with the angel. Does that answer your question? ... Q-Tip: A piece of advice from a powerful entity. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718