From: Paul Hume Area: ENOCHIAN To: Kayla Block 8 May 94 10:21:12 Subject: Enochian 101 UpdReq Kayla - Don't you hate that? I found that while simpatico roomies are a must in a group house, it was just not doable without roomies who understand the privacy requirements of magicians, whether they are on that path themselves or not (my present roomies aren't ceremonial types, but are Pagans, and so when I note that the laundry room is unavailable (it is off the temple room) because I am doing ritual or the place is set up in the First Degree or whatnot, they are entirely supportive. They also don't even seem to fight (or do other things) that loudly - not that I sit around listening, of course ;) My last apartment was downstairs from a leadfoot who liked loud music - almost as bad, by heaven. Paul 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Paul Hume Area: ENOCHIAN To: Ar Aakhu-t 8 May 94 10:25:40 Subject: Enochian 101: foiled attempts UpdReq Ar Aakhu-T - Re: the recommendation to Kayla...nonsense, DC is a much better place to move to to find simpatico magical households. And the longer commute is offset by the time difference, so by the time your plane lands in LA, it is only and hour later than when you took off, so she'd save much more time if she moved over HERE, rather than up THERE. Paul 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Josh Norton Area: ENOCHIAN To: Kayla Block 5 May 94 11:46:00 Subject: Enochian 101 UpdReq Thus said Kayla Block to Julia Phillips concerning Enochian 101: KB> so you don't use any type of 'fluid condenser' on the backing of the KB> mirror, i take it. oddly enough, though i have spent time thinking KB> about making a black mirror, using a clockface has never KB> occurred to me. Hi Kayla! My way of making a magick mirror is a bit more time-consuming than Julia's, but the results are super. A half-silvered piece of flat glass, put in a picture frame and backed with a completely light-absorbent material makes a great magick mirror. A commercial piece of half-silvered glass of any decent size is a bit expensive, but you can make your own easily enough with a pan, some silver nitrate, and a small heater. For detailed instructions on how to do it, check the astronomy section of your library for books on how to make a reflector telescope. They usually have a section on do-it- yourself silvering; the only difference is that you want to stop the silvering process while the glass still transmits about 75% of the light. ... Hi yo Silver! Away! ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Josh Norton Area: ENOCHIAN To: Ar Aakhu-T 6 May 94 13:52:02 Subject: Enochian 101 UpdReq Thus said Ar Aakhu-t to Julia Phillips concerning Enochian 101: AA> 93- JP> They are part of the general Elizabethan world-view, and a lot JP> of Dee's philosophy makes more sense (to me, at any rate) when JP> considered within the 3-world philosophy of terrestrial, JP> celestial and super-celestial. It's just another way of JP> describing the hierarchies, and it really doesn't matter what JP> words you use. I'm more familiar with these descriptions, but JP> anything else would do just as well. AA> Can you say more to describe the celestial & super- AA> celestial? I understand they're just variant labels for AA> different points of the spectrum, but where do they lie? AA> Is the celestial like the astral? Where do the various AA> entities figure on this scale, i.e. the various angels & AA> such, also the kind of archangelic figures set up in most AA> banishings? This idea isn't too different from the three-worlds conception that is still common in magick today -- although I suspect we sometimes divide them up a tiny bit differently. Each of these realms had its own proper form of magick. According to Agrippa (and therefor probably Dee) the terrestrial world is our mundane world, plus three inner realms in which the "occult virtues" of physical things lie. These would be the astral plane, the intellectual plane (i.e., the realm of speech, language, and signs) and the plane of the "passions of the soul". These correspond to the four lowest sephiroth of the Tree of Life. Aside from it's innate virtues, the terrestrial realm takes influences from both the celestial and super-celestial realm. The uses of physical things according to their virtues constitute terrestrial magick, which would thus include herbalism and physick, spellcasting in the superstitious "witchy" sense, etc. The celestial realm is governed by astrological forces, and by the innate virtues of numbers, mathematics, and geometry. It acts as an intermediary between the super-celestial realm and the terrestrial; God is said to manifest his will through the virtues of the planets, signs and numbers, and these in turn create regular, cyclic changes in the terrestrial world that correspond to the divine intent. This realm corresponds to the second triad of the Tree of Life. Invocations of planetary and zodiacal powers are all forms of celestial magick, as are geomancy and other astrological forms of divination. The super-celestial realm is the same as the Empyrean. It is the realm of pure divinity, corresponding to the Supernal Triad of the Tree. It acts on both the celestial and terrestrial realms directly, and also acts on the terrestrial through the celestial. Thus the three realms form a triangle rather than a straight line of descending influences. Curiously, in the late medieval / Elizabethan period, it appears that God, all the angels, the devil and all his demons ALL were part of the supercelestial realm in some way. God and Devil both remained "outside" the other realms, while the angels and demons were the vehicles by which they projected their wills into those realms. Invocations of god or the angels, and evocations of any of these beings would be super-celestial magick. ... Sects, sects, sects! Is that all monks ever think about? --- Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718