In Grandmother's Lap Copyright 1987, R.M.P.J. There was a story in the paper recently that appalled me. Some high school kids in Florida were keeping journals as part of a school program designed to prevent drug use by kids. A woman who had previously borrowed some of the teaching materials "borrowed" 18 journals and passed them around the folks from her church--"she didn't know they were meant to be private." She and the people in her church apparently feel that this program is linked (horrors!) to secular humanism, because it stresses individual responsibility rather than accepting the revealed word, or something. They seem to want to get the goods on it so it can be eliminated from the schools, despite the fact that it's voluntary and only half the kids participate anyway. Is this country headed for a time when I am not allowed to refuse to let by brother be my keeper? Am I going to be forced to submit to someone else's altruism, and abdicate responsibility for my own physical, social and spiritual wellbeing to people who are sure they know what is best for me because God (their god) told them? The last time that happened it hurt a lot. But I honestly don't believe it's going to happen again. I feel strongly that this whole right-wing fundamentalist hysteria is a last-gasp effort by those who feel that their whole perspective on life is terribly threatened, and are trying to hold back the tide with a teaspoon. Twenty years will tell. But this brings us to a very interesting question--isn't altruism a good thing? Shouldn't we live for others? My answer is no. I believe very deeply and strongly that we are here to learn all we can and grow as much as possible, not to help others avoid getting on with their own growth by making their lives easy. I also believe in good manners and consideration for others, and in generating positive rather than negative karma whenever possible. But my consideration is not based on deference, or thinking you're more important than I am; it's based on the fact that if I treat you well I can expect you to treat me well, and if you don't I can avoid you without wondering if it's all my fault or feeling guilty or anxious. Frankly, the restatement of the Golden Rule in the New Testament strikes me as a vast deterioration from the original. "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" can easily be perverted by the literal- minded into "I love chocolate so I'm going to feed you chocolate even though you hate it and it makes you break out", instead of "I'd like you to consider my tastes and wishes so I'm going to consider yours." "Do not unto others that which you would not wish done to you" seems a lot clearer and more straightforward to me. We are not responsible for each other. We are responsible for our own decisions and actions, and for their consequences. If I punch you in the nose I'm responsible; if I insult you or sneer at you I'm responsible; if you get envious, angry and depressed because I won a Nobel Prize I am not responsible, nor would I be noble if I refused it to avoid upsetting you. That behavior would imply that you are weak and helpless, and discourage rather than encourage your development, even if I never told you what I had done. If you scream at me or are rude to me I will hold you responsible for those actions, and take what steps I need to protect myself against a repetition of the unpleasantness, because my welfare and comfort are my responsibility, not yours. Nobody else can ever know what's best for me, because no one else can be me. Or you. Or the weird lady in Florida. But I have a hunch she would have been far better off to sit in on the class as a student, and then perhaps criticize it, than to make assumptions about others' welfare and act on them. What do you think? I'd really like to know? Blessed Be, The Spinster Aunt