From: Paul Hume Area: Thelema To: Aesinara 7 May 95 11:16:52 Subject: Re: JUGORUM UpdReq Aesinara - Actually, my experience with Jugorum is that it wasn't very effective for exercising an addiction - at least in my case, I simply got into the abominable practice of "paying" a cut for a butt. Simply stating that I wouldn't smoke for X hours was more effective - there was no "escape clause" from the nicotine fit - one just stared, sweating, at the tantalizing cylinder, aware that lighting it would put a serious ding in the Will. It is the "unconscious" stuff where the practice excels - whether whacking away at the arm with an implement of destruction, or using a toned down aversive reinforcer, or simply, as suggested earlier, just noting how often you had a "break." Eliminating the unconsciousness of speech, action, and thought is the goal of Jugorum. The recommended practices are not, as it happens, "bad habits" - saying "I" or raising your left hand above your waist, etc. - in part to avoid the "moral" baggage of eliminating a "bad" habit. Jugorum's purpose is not to induce "virtue," but to train the mind ot awareness and vigilance. Paul 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718