From: Rose Dawn Area: Thelema To: The Cegorach 28 Feb 95 08:55:12 Subject: Re: A SOURCE FOR RESH TIM UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Hiya Ceg, nice to see you posting again. :> > Wanna go for the hex rits this time? :> Sure thang. Can't think of anything funny to say about the Hex rits either though! Or were we going to get into ::GASP!:: serious discussion? ;> Hmm...actually, on the amusing side, there's the whole 'cheerleader' thang _vis_ the Lesser Hex, but that's been done to death already. If we're gonna talk seriously about em, we could try the 'Thelemic version' of the Lesser Hex, talk about the Star Sapphire, or get real basic with unicursal hex's vs. elemental hex's...or something else entirely. Howwzit been for you lately? Still out-of-yer-mind busy? Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: The Cegorach Area: Thelema To: Josh Norton 1 Mar 95 05:42:28 Subject: Re: Astrological Symbolism UpdReq -=> Quoting Josh Norton to The Cegorach <=- JN> Thus said The Cegorach to Josh Norton concerning Astrological JN> symbolism: TC> Hiya, Josh! JN> Hi Larry! Haven't heard from you in a while. Still running your BBS? Um, yes. I've been back since November. (ROTFL! I just figured something out--I was using a different handle. No wonder. *That* explains why I've gotten so many "You're back messages" *four months* after being re-connected. I figured the style, and the fact that I usually sign "Larry" regardless of the handle, would've sufficied to identify me. Guess not. What a hoot!) Side note: Julia Phillips should be hooked back in, too...they're finally getting the net connects in Oz straightened out. We're baaack...all you non-Leos better watch out! (grin) JN> Understandable. Hmmm.... The problem with astrology books is that JN> every astrologer seems to have his or her special axe to grind, and JN> twists things around to fit the point they want to make. Currently JN> most of them seem obsessed with fitting astrology to one or another JN> psychological theory, blinding you in a blizzard of buzzwords. I like JN> to think of myself as an exception, but maybe not... ;-) "Blinding you in a blizzard of buzzwords..."--now *that* is some waay cool alliteration. -:) Side note: like every non-astrology-specific magickal author *doesn't* have a special axe, or collection thereof, to grind? Crowley pissed on Christianity, Achad pissed on Crowley, and Gerald Scheuler pisses people off, which is close enough. Oh, and you neglected "bizarre", as in "one or another [bizarre] psychological theory". Woulda strengthened the subsequent alliteration, too. ;> JN> The best way to understand the astrological "powers" is by direct JN> experience of their effects on your own consciousness. I described one JN> way of doing this in the article titled "The Book of the Archer". This JN> method is slow, but exceedingly thorough in its results. _Book of the Archer_ is one of the few (maybe the only?) portion of the e-texts contained in the Enochian Temples ZIP package I've not yet read. After 12 or so hours of reading, electronically and print, I just had to stop. :) Though I did mark it for reading in the next day or two, along with a re-read of Dennings and Phillips' _Planetary Magick_, various sections of Regardie's _The Golden Dawn_, and yet another foray into _A True and Faithful Relation...._ I did manage to come to the same conclusion, i.e., "Just do it", and toyed briefly with the idea of using Enochian schtuff, but decided to hit the Dennings and Phillips _Planetary Magick_ and related material first. I've always had a tendency to skip the preliminary and intermediate stuff, and go straight for the advanced material...I skipped a grade in school, graduated from high school at 16, and crammed 5 1/2 school years' worth of math into my 2 years at the North Carolina School of Science and Math. So I have to occasionally restrain myself from plunging straight into Enochian or Abramelin (as examples), and remember to do my LBRPs (etc.). JN> If you want something to sink your mental teeth into, I would JN> recommend the works of the late Dane Rudhyar. Dane was one of the few Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see what I can find 'round here. May have to special order through BookStar, or (gasp) the local Weenie New Age store. (Pardon my angst--I went in a while ago, asking about the new edition of Book 4. Blank stare. "You know, the new edition of Crowley's _Magick_?" Shocked look..."C-C-Crowley? You mean, Aleister Crowley?" (No, you idiot, Dame Edna Crowley, his illegitimate maternal half-aunt, who ghostwrote all the Class A material. Sheesh!) ... Copyright? Perhaps he wanted to sell copies of Liber AL in airports? 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Macfinn Area: Thelema To: Kali 26 Feb 95 21:31:08 Subject: 777 UpdReq K> Subject: 777 K> What does 777 mean? K> Kali "777" is a book, full title "777 and other qabalistic writings of Aleister Crowley" published by Weiser. 777 is also a number...lets look it up in "777" and see what we get: in th Sepher Sephiroth part of the book we get, The Flaming Sword, if the path from Binah to Chesed be taken as = 3. For For (giymel) connects Arikh Anpin with Zauir Anpin One is the (mem yowd yowd cheyth mem yowd he reysh aleph cheyth vav daleth thav cheyth aleph) Ruach of the Elohim of Lives The World of Shells (thav vav phe yowd reysh qowph he mem reysh vav ain). You'll have to pull out Strong's or another grimoir and write out the Hebrew letters to see what they look like. =M= 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Josh Norton Area: Thelema To: Kali 28 Feb 95 20:09:00 Subject: 777 UpdReq Thus said Kali to All concerning 777: Ka> Hi Kali! Ka> What does 777 mean? 777 is the gematria value of the Hebrew phrases "AChTh RVCh ALHIM ChIIM" -- "One is the Spirit of the Living Gods", and "OVLM HQLIPhVTh" -- "the world of shells". It is also 7 times 111 and thus expresses an expanded form of unity. These are all appropriate in one way or another to a book of correspondences, hence it's use by Crowley. ... I'm French! Why do you think I have this outrageous accent? --- Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 * Origin: Access! Information Services (93:9000/2) SEEN-BY: 31/11 56/155 102/943 107/946 109/235 202/311 215/9393 401/0 666/119 SEEN-BY: 1000/1 3 1100/0 2000/1 4 11 9000/2 4 6 8 10 9007/0 9008/0 9010/0 SEEN-BY: 9020/0 9030/0 9040/0 9060/0 9070/0 9080/0 9090/0 9100/0 9200/0 SEEN-BY: 9300/0 9400/0 9430/0 9500/0 9600/0 2 7 9606/0 9608/0 9609/0 9610/0 SEEN-BY: 9620/0 9630/0 9640/0 9650/0 9660/0 9697/0 9800/0 9900/0 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Josh Norton Area: Thelema To: Fir 28 Feb 95 20:09:00 Subject: Contacting The Hga Rec'd UpdReq Thus said Fir to Josh Norton concerning Solar Enlightenment: Fi> Hi Josh! Hi! [in a previous message...] Fi> How would you suggest a person seek self initiation? JN> I think I'll dodge this question for the moment -- my mind is jumping JN> around into non-sequiturs. Must have eaten a leprechaun. ;-) [in your last message...] Fi> What would you suggest are good techniques for seeking K&C of HGA? Not gonna let me dodge it, eh? Well, let's see.... It's been a long time since I had to worry about this subject from a first-person POV, and it's not my area of specialization in any case, so the black hole of my memory may have erased some pertinent points. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will step in to fill in the lacunae. The HGA or "Genius" is a personal tutelary spirit. Its three primary functions are: -- To provide the person with long-term motivation by giving her visions of the ways in which the aspects of her personality might eventually be used to express the Spirit within the world, and of the other spiritual achievements possible to her. -- To provide the person with instruction and inspiration in spiritual matters, so that she gradually builds up an intuitive understanding of the inner worlds, and their relationships to each other and to her own nature. -- To provide the person with moment-by-moment indications of the best course to follow to achieve the spiritual goals she choses from among the visions shown to her. Now, as with any other sort of magickal contact, getting in touch with the HGA is a simple matter of invocation, leading to a response. It can be something as formal as the Abra-Melin invocations but those, IMO, are unnecessarily formal and constraining. To me, the mind-sets involved are much more important than the specific form that the work takes. (And as usual, the necessary conditions follow the INRI formula.) First, you have to believe that the HGA exists, and is interested in helping you. It doesn't matter what you believe the exact nature of the HGA to be, or if you have any opinion at all on that matter, as long as you believe _something_ exists on a higher level that will help you. (Earth, first I of INRI) Second, you have to show the HGA that you desire such help as it can give you. You must have a feeling of need for spiritual contact and uplift, a need to expand beyond the current bounds of your being, and must project this feeling outwards from yourself towards the HGA. Your motivation is a very important factor; desire for power over mundane events, or for aggrandizement in other peoples' eyes aren't satisfactory motivations. (Water, N of INRI) Third, you must provide the HGA with opportunities to respond, and a willingness to accept what it sends into your being. This involves an implicit trust in the HGA, fearlessness of the consequences of such contact, and what can only be called agap, spiritual love for, and a dynamic receptiveness to the angel. (Solar fire, R of INRI) Fourth, you must acquire a broad collection of symbols and ideas that the angel can use as the basis for its instruction. This is basically an intellectual work, done by reading and study. (Air, last I of INRI) Where all four of these conditions are present, contact with the HGA is virtually assured. As to the nuts and bolts of the matter, I have to admit that the way I did it was far too haphazard to deserve being called a "method"; I didn't really get into magick until after I had contacted my HGA. Mostly it seems like I groped blindly around in my head until something worked. But I think I can identify a few things that contributed positively to the process. Foremost, there is the problem of the internal monologue. Most folks have a continuous stream of talk running through their heads. This chatter consists of thoughts that affirm what we think we are, imaginary scenarios in which we "script" anticipated future events or re-script past events to suit what we would have preferred to have happened, and the usual cloud of mental associations called up by the situation of the moment. All this talk gets in the way, and you need to find exercises that will stop the monologue -- or at least reduce its intensity substantially. It is only in silence that the voice of the angel can be heard. Crowley talks about this in his _Liber III vel Jugorum_, but his instructions are too vague to be useful. I'm not sure I can be any clearer -- it's one of those things I learned to do without knowing how I did it. One important point is that the silence needs to be produced through relaxation, _not_ through concentration. Self-hypnosis techniques work for some people, as do marijuana and/or extended light masturbation. What you want is a semi-trance state in which you are relaxed but alert, centered, and silent within, and not disturbed by events in your surroundings. Let me think about this some more and I might come up with something more specific. Connected with this is the need to teach your mind to focus in parts of itself other than its language-using portions. Visualization work is particularly good for this, since the optical areas of the brain are about as far away from the language areas as you can get; it's easier to make the distinction. Practice visualizing various occult symbols, god- images, the Tree of Life, etc., as often as you can. Any other practice that requires non-verbal focus is good -- yoga and tai chi, remembering non-verbal sounds and music, lots of other stuff. Once you have learned to focus in one non-verbal mode, focusing in other parts of yourself becomes a simple matter. The practice of "creating a refuge" (I described this in the Magicknet echo a while ago) is a good long-term choice for this. Once you have silence and visualization down fairly well, contact with the HGA is simply a matter of "invoking often". As I said, the invocations needn't be formal or long. As often as you have a few moments during the day, turn your mind to the HGA, and project outwards and "upwards" the feeling that you want contact with it and are open to receiving sendings from it. Then deliberately turn your attention away from the HGA and on to some other subject. That last point is important. The HGA almost never sends you things when you are looking for them; its messages and visions pop up on you when you are engrossed in something else. They seem to come out of nowhere, and aren't recognized as coming from outside yourself until _after_ you have received and absorbed them. Then, suddenly, you snap alert and think "Where the hell did that come from?" This unaware reception followed by a sudden recognition seems to be characteristic of contacts with the HGA. Instances in which it "speaks" to you as a clearly- identified external being are relatively rare. It is almost as if the HGA sneaks into you and thinks with your brain for a while, and you don't notice it until it leaves again. Try to provide times when the HGA has opportunity to respond. Before reading a book on magick or philosophy, spend a few minutes trying to achieve a state of silence. Then project your invocation to the HGA, and go back to simply sitting silent for a few more minutes. Then read your book. Precede every meditation practice you do with a brief projection to the HGA, as well as invocations you do of other forces. You may find that as you read or absorb the force you invoked, you'll get insights from the HGA connected with them. I don't have any doubt that if you do this long enough you'll have a strong contact with your HGA. Given that I managed to do it in 2 years without even knowing I was doing so, it isn't a difficult achievement. ... All answers questioned here. --- Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 * Origin: Access! Information Services (93:9000/2) SEEN-BY: 31/11 56/155 102/943 107/946 109/235 202/311 215/9393 401/0 666/119 SEEN-BY: 1000/1 3 1100/0 2000/1 4 11 9000/2 4 6 8 10 9007/0 9008/0 9010/0 SEEN-BY: 9020/0 9030/0 9040/0 9060/0 9070/0 9080/0 9090/0 9100/0 9200/0 SEEN-BY: 9300/0 9400/0 9430/0 9500/0 9600/0 2 7 9606/0 9608/0 9609/0 9610/0 SEEN-BY: 9620/0 9630/0 9640/0 9650/0 9660/0 9697/0 9800/0 9900/0 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718