From: Kevin Bold Area: Thelema To: Tim Maroney 29 Jan 95 07:53:60 Subject: "Troublemakers" UpdReq 93! |TM > KB> As for WRC's name, the Whiskey Rebellion wasn't about making |TM > KB> trouble. It was about not taking any crap from the government. |TM > |TM > We really are failing to communicate here. Of course refusing to take |TM > crap |TM > from the government -- whether that government is the USA, the USSR, or |TM > the |TM > O.T.O. for that matter -- is making trouble. More power to it! How then do _you_ define "troublemaker"? I can think of several people who fit the description of: |TM > TM> ones willing to take the risks and push forward beyond the |TM > TM> edge of consensus. who were or are anything but "troublemakers": Einstein, Beethoven, Heinlein, Heisenberg, Picasso, Yeager, Armstrong, Columbus, Gates, Jefferson, Gingrich, and so on. To me, a "troublemaker" has nothing to offer the world, and resents living in a world where nothing comes to those who offer nothing. I would hardly call gossip, slander, and other disruptive behaviors admirable, or even constructive, let alone "pushing the edge of consensus". Since they have no respect for the True Wills of others, as demonstrated by their ignorance of the self-evident principle of "your right to swing your fist ends where other peoples' noses begin", they obviously are ignorant of their own True Wills, making them the saddest excuses for humanity. (Such people do, of course, liken themselves to great heroes, to the great laughter of those who can see through them.) As for governments, it is they, and not those who stand up to their excesses, who are causing the "trouble". (BTW, what "trouble" has the O.T.O.'s leadership caused?) |TM > As for your new list of personality failings and crimes of the hated |TM > "troublemakers" to whom you have denied initiation, I can only say that |TM > it |TM > is a change of course. Before, their only motivation was to "make |TM > trouble for |TM > the Order." Instead, now they're egotistical, manipulative, and |TM > indiscreet -- |TM > a different litany of complaints and an incompatible psychological |TM > explanation |TM > for their behavior. It seems to me that in your mind, these people are |TM > fair |TM > game for any and all criticism. In short, you've demonized them. I am |TM > even |TM > less convinced now that your original description of their motivations |TM > was |TM > correct. I see no contradiction; in fact, troublemakers are _very_ egotistical and manipulative. Some of our members, and not just myself, have had run-ins with them, and we're quite familiar with their track records. That's why _we_ don't want them around. You, however, don't know them, and in a sense, you're lucky. 93--93/93... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Herb Mitchell Area: Thelema To: Tony Iannotti 1 Feb 95 06:52:00 Subject: Yallo? Rec'd UpdReq Further to my last-- > TI> I think there was a delayed link from here to Modem Magick. I > TI> think it's fixed now. > I don't know; I'm still carrying two version of this, and still seeing some > messages in one (Thelema666) that don't show up in the other (Thelema). Just did a message count, I've got 28 messages in Thelema666 and 48 in Thelema. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718