From: Fir Area: Thelema To: Christeos Pir 19 Dec 94 07:22:40 Subject: Re: DIS & DAT UpdReq Christeos, Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. CP> Hey, are you gonna X-post Erm's video review, or should I? Would you please? I don't have X-post capability. Thanks! Love is the law, love under will. Fir 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: Thelema To: Christeos Pir 19 Dec 94 09:44:44 Subject: Re: GREAT GOD AC? UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. >RD> I sent you a post on the Oasis echo...have you received it? Just > > I think so... which one was it? BTW, did you get my e-mail from AOL? I was axin' at a time when there was another slight echo-clog; I've since seen several posts in the Oasis echo, which is nice! Nope, I haven't--yet anyway--received a post from AOL. Yow! I hope you've got one of those 'ten hours free' dealies...unless AOL has improved quite a bit since the daze I wasted my money subscribing thereto! ;> Tami misses it tho...she loved going in and laughing at the pre-teen 'satanists' and 'pagans' she seemed to find everywhere online there. ;> (Raistlynne: "Ex-squeeze me? You're a practicing magician and you've never heard of Alesiter Crowley? To Mega Therion? Frater P? H-E-L-L-O!") It's fun having a kid who is both smart and snotty, long's it's not directed at *me*! }:D > I've seen a couple, usually teenaged nosepickers calling themselves > King or Lord something, repeating some story they heard from a friend > of a friend. If these situations were that common, I think we'd hear > them from someone we've come to consider reliable. Read the Hriliu echo lately? :/ 'Fundies' are out there...but I agree, I *don't* think they're prevalent. I believe GH Frater Heidrick has commented on a few situations where individuals have encountered 'Crowleyites,' on alt.magick not too long ago. I'm not arguing that there are a *lot* of such people, just trying to be fair by pointing out that it's not *just* Tim who's concerned by em. I agree completely that concern for 'Thelemic fundies' is greatly exaggerated, but would guess that the bad taste left in one's mouth when encountering even one such individual might tend to linger. Course, the sensible thing to do would be to get to know as many Thelemites as possible, and encounter a wide variety of opinions, philosophies, interpretations, styles of magical practice, and just plain *human beings*. Hmmm, come to think on it, a *real* 'Fundie Thelemite' would be one who believes fervently in 'Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law' and 'Love is the law, love under will.' So...let's hear it for the 'Fundies'! ;> > Tim, on the other hand, is obviously not a teenaged nosepicker; > however, he does have a history of 1. deliberately trying to get people > stirred up, and 2. ranting about the OTO and its hordes of brainless > feudalistically-minded Crowleyites. I've heard about the 'Tim Maroney Heydays' but that was before my 'time'...when I started bbs'ing, he was on hiatus. Since his return, I've seen some of that type of post, but I get the feeling that he's actually completely sincere in his concern, and not simply trying to be a shit-stirrer. I may be wrong, of course! Doesn't mean I agree with what he says, but I do accept the possibility that he, and some of the others who bitch about Crowleyites, may have run into such people and be reacting against them. And I *still* think we're both way lucky to have affiliated with our respective Camps, for reasons that transcend 'Crowleyites' or the lack thereof. :> > Like TV-preachers or street-ranters, it's amusing for a while. Then, > according to one's mood and temperament, it's either boring or > irritating (or a mixture of both). When the ranter begins to rail at > people for not arguing back, it's time to change the channel, for me. Hmm...I have the feeling at least some of what you're referring to took place while we were experiencing the net-clog...I *know* that we missed out on TONS of messages before the mail started flowing again, cuz I saw some during brief bbs-trolls while I was jonesin' from lack of local posts. I've actually seen very few posts from Tim Maroney--if there were a bunch in that vein, I might be--no doubt would be--a lot more bored/irritated. OTOH, maybe I've just been spending too much time in _samadhi_ lately! ;> Once in a while an idiotic post will catch me at just the right/wrong time and I'll post back with a flame, but usually I try to be polite to the assholes, and give em a chance to return the courtesy...LOL, I'm thinking of an entirely different individual in this context at this time...one who seems to have disappeared, come to think on it. >RD> Part of being a Thelemite, to me, means being able to say "I disagree" >RD> no matter how loudly any one individual is yelling to the contrary. > > Or no matter HOW MANY others are yelling to contrary! Right on! > - CP, who's been playing Wolfenstein, and is in a Martial mood... RD, who's been alternating between Temple of the Dog and the soundtrack from "Amadeus," and thus is most likely suffering from an Anahata Overdose. ;> Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: Thelema To: Serpens 19 Dec 94 08:15:30 Subject: Re: MEMBERSHIP IN OTO UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. LOL...I figured you'd be a good person to ask! ;> > I cannot for the life of me find the last membership report from our > GH Frater Bill Heidrick, but its just shy of the 2000 mark. Under That's about what I remembered. I believe GH Frater Bill posted some exact figures not long ago on alt.magick, but I didn't capture that particular post. Perhaps someone reading may have, and might have a more thorough answer as to membership breakdown by degree, country, etc. ::shrug:: > I think the combination of ... > - increased Crowley accessibility since the early 70's, plus... > - increased visibility of the Order, and more members, bodies, > contact info, etc. etc. making it possible for people to find us, plus... > - OTO reaching a plateau number where the number of trained > initiators, active groups, and other resources, makes it possible > for the OTO to bring more people "into the fold"... > > all add up to an accelerating growth curve. Sounds good to me...or should I say "Right on!" ? ;> > And if not - without those same friends we wouldn't be where or what > we are, and outside the obligatins of initiatory secrecy, and the > need for private time for study and discussion among the initiates, > even our other "private" meetings remain open to our proven friends. > And a public meeting > every few months to keep good contact with the rest of the This raises what I consider to be an important point...while the 'quantity' of initiates *is* an important consideration for those of us who are committed to promulgating the Law of Thelema, the *quality* of those initiates is, IMHO, a much more valuable one...to the Order as a whole, the local bodies, and each individual who expresses interest in learning more about the philosophy embodied in THELEMA. I'm again reminded of how very fortunate I've been in finding individuals who possess that degree of quality...the kinda folx who make you want to stick around, who have something to teach those of us who want to learn, not least of which by walking in their Wills, thus exemplifying a Thelemic lifestyle. Not *just* the 'locals'...I've encountered many such people on the nets as well, not least of which in this very echo. :> Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: Thelema To: Rebis 19 Dec 94 10:15:26 Subject: Re: RANDOLPH UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. > P.B. Randolph (1825-1875) wrote the following books: Whoah! I knew there were others besides _Eulis_, but had no idea there were so many! > Many of Randolph's works have been reissued by the "Confederation of > Initiates" in Quakertown, PA. Do you have an address or contact info handy? And...who *are* these guys? > The book called "Sexual Magic" attributed to him and published by Magickal > [sic] Child is probably in reality a work by Maria de Naglowska,founder of > the luciferian "Confraternity of the Knights of the Golden Arrow",based on > ideas from "Eulis" and "Seership", and _possibly_ from some of the working > papers of Randolph's Brotherhood of Eulis. Interesting--thanks. :> Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rebis Area: Thelema To: Rose Dawn 20 Dec 94 05:06:16 Subject: Re: RANDOLPH UpdReq Rose, Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. >> Many of Randolph's works have been reissued by the "Confederation of >> Initiates" in Quakertown, PA. > Do you have an address or contact info handy? And...who *are* these guys? These guys are the "Rosicrucian Fraternity" or "Fraternitas Rosae Crucis" of R. Swinburne Clymer; which waged a bloody battle-of-the-pamphlets with AMORC in the '30's. During this earth-shaking struggle for the Rosicrucian Championship of the "Popular Mechanix"-reading world, they accused H. Spencer Lewis and his "gang" of being under the secret domination of the black magician ALEISTER CROWLEY. As part of their "proof", they reprinted some interesting O.T.O. historical documents in their attack -book "The Rosicrucian Fraternity in America", Vol I; including the 1912 "Jubilee Edition" of the Oriflamme. The Confederation of Initiates claim to have their roots in Randolph's Temple of Rosicrucia. I don't think they are publishing Randolph's work any more, but I'm not positive on this. Their address is, as far as I know, simply "Confederation of Initiates, Beverly Hall, Quakertown, PA". One would have to look up the zip code, I suppose; if one wanted to write to them for some reason. Most of their Randolph books seem to show up fairly frequently on the used book store circuit -- you might check Controversial's used book section occasionally. If you have the option, get the earlier editions in preference to the Clymer editions, Clymer edited and sometimes bowdlerized Randolph's writing. Randolph's works are also available as re-reprints in cheap xerox editions from: Health Research P.O. Box 70 Mokelumne Hill, CA 95245 I haven't ordered anything from Health Research in a long time, so I can't quote prices. I'm not even 100% positive that they're still in business. Love is the law, love under will. Rebis 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: Thelema To: Rebis 20 Dec 94 05:37:52 Subject: Re: RANDOLPH UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. > These guys are the"Rosicrucian Fraternity" or "Fraternitas Rosae Crucis" of > R. Swinburne Clymer; which waged a bloody battle-of-the-pamphlets with AMORC > in the '30's. During this earth-shaking struggle for the Rosicrucian > Championship of the "Popular Mechanix"-reading world, they accused H. > Spencer Lewis and his "gang" of being under the secret domination of the > black magician ALEISTER CROWLEY. As part of their "proof", they LOL. Eep! Are their Randolph reprints True and Faithful, or does selective editing of a propagandist nature sneak in? > some reason. Most of their Randolph books seem to show up fairly frequently > on the used book store circuit -- you might check Controversial's used book > section occasionally. If you have the option, get the earlier editions in > preference to the Clymer editions, Clymer edited and sometimes bowdlerized > Randolph's writing. Randolph's works are also available as The only Randolph I've been able to find in a used bookstore thus far has been _Eulis_, and I simply lucked out on that'un. I'll give Controversial a go, as well as Lemon Grove Used'N'Rare, my favorite local bookstore for unearthing the kind of weird stuff that catches my eye. Thanks for the heads-up on Clymer! > Randolph's writing. Randolph's works are also available as re-reprints in > cheap xerox editions from: > > Health Research > P.O. Box 70 > Mokelumne Hill, CA 95245 > > I haven't ordered anything from Health Research in a long time, so I can't > quote prices. I'm not even 100% positive that they're still in business. Cheap Xerox editions are fine by me. I'll risk a stamp--now, before postage rates go up--and let anyone who's interested know if they're still in biz, and what they have available and at what price range. Thanks again. Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: Thelema To: Christeos Pir 20 Dec 94 05:26:10 Subject: Re: THELEMIC HOLIDAYS UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. > Hmm... here's a partial list of some interesting dates I've collected: And some interesting ones indeed! > Jun 20 Jack Parsons acheives speed of light (and heat) LOL. Ok, June 20's marked down as a GF on my calendar...yow, I shudder to think of appropriate modes of celebration tho! ;> 7/20/95 wouldn't happen to fall on a Wednesday, would it? ;> > Jul 23 Rose Kelly Crowley b. 1874 Right on! Anyone have a Greater Feast date for Ouarda? > Oct 2 Jack Parsons b. 1914 Thanks for this'un too. > Dec 1 AC's Greater Feast 1947 LOL! I had it listed as the 2nd...I think somebody else mentioned the 7th. Owell. ;> Thanks, CP! Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: Thelema To: Kevin Bold 20 Dec 94 05:28:42 Subject: Re: THELEMIC HOLIDAYS UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. > H> Bride and Beast ?date? > > Sometime in early to mid-August (others will have to help me out > here; I'm not > much of a holiday person, since I'll celebrate every day just for > the hell of it.) August 12th. Righteous--another 'feast every day in your hearts in the joy of my rapture!' kinda person. :> Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Helrunar Area: Thelema To: Christeos Pir 20 Dec 94 11:58:04 Subject: Re: THELEMIC HOLIDAYS UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law! Wow CP!! thats great! thanks alot! I might write you back after I go through all these and put them in the program to see if you know anything about soma them but thanks a whole bunch! Love is the law, love under will. Fraturnally, Helrunar 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Helrunar Area: Thelema To: Kevin Bold 20 Dec 94 12:04:46 Subject: Re: THELEMIC HOLIDAYS UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law! > Sometime in early to mid-August (others will have to help me out > here; I'm not much of a holiday person, since I'll celebrate every day just > for the hell of it.) Thanks Kevin! Check out the list CP gave me. Hey I like to calibrate daily too! Why do you think I'm trying to find all these holidays? so I have even more reasons to celibrate evey day!! ;) Love is the law, love under will. Fr.Helrunar 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Andy Bender Area: Thelema To: Will Bridewell 19 Dec 94 11:27:00 Subject: Membership In Oto UpdReq Greets Will, WB> Just curious. How large is the OTO now as far as members WB> and lodges go? Has there been a significant increase over WB> the past decade with a large number of Crowley's works WB> being reprinted by Weiser and New Falcon? Last I heard, from Bill Heidrick, the total membership figure of the OTO was somewhere around 2,400, +/- 200 due to my poor memory. I found that figure surprisingly small, considering the number of Thelemites online. In L.V.X. ___ X RM 1.3 01655 X Oh yeah? Well, what's the speed of DARK? 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718