From: Serpens Area: Thelema To: Jonathon Blake 23 Aug 93 18:46:32 Subject: Re: ADA AND THE O.T.O. UpdReq Jonathon - Smith v Oregon is the case which, argued before the Supreme Court last year, led to the "downgrade" of the test for state interference in a religious practice. Prior to the decision, the state had to demonstrate "compelling interest" in controlling such activity - now it is down to "legitimate interest." Smith and a co-plaintiff were... 1) Native Americans and members of the Native American Church (the one that uses peyote in ritual) 2) Employed by the Oregon government in a drug councilling program. When they tested positive for peyote, they were fired, and brought suit that their use of the drug, as part of their religious practice, was protected by teh Constitution. So, the case wended its way up to the Supremes. Unfortunately, rather than refusing to hear it, upholding the lower courts (which maintained a compelling interest in this case, in that the state was justified in requiring drug councillors to be drug-free, regardless of religious tenets), or otherwise disposing the case without redefining the legal basis of government interference with religious practices, the Court redefined the legal test justifying such interference, and in the event, reduced the judicial level of scrutiny in such cases. There is an act before Congress (Religious Freedom Restoration Act?) which restores the earlier, more rigorous level of scrutiny, ie. "compelling interest." Paul 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Todd Sahba Area: Thelema To: Josh Norton 26 Aug 93 12:46:02 Subject: multiple truths Sent UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law JN>Heh. My main problem is that Thelema contradicts itself -- which is why JN>I'm no longer a Thelemite. But here goes: How does the phrase "Do what thou wilt" contradict itself? That is after all what Thelema means, outside of how Crowley, Rabelais or St. Augustine interpreted it. JN>"The word of sin is Restriction." JN>You can see some of this happening in your own attitude in previous JN>comments, and in Frater Almost's; you are basically saying "if he can't JN>play by our rules, then he can't play at all." What does this have to do JN>with encouraging people to do their will? Hypothetical situation: A person, I'll call him Herb, approaches me and states that it is his will to work with me and I am to initiate him now. It turns out that it is not my Will to work with Herb. Which of the following two actions is consistent with Thelema: A) I work with Herb becouse he wants to, despite what my Will happens to be. or B) I don't work with Herb since it ain't my Will. It is appropriate that you quoted "The word of sin is restriction" Am I to restrict my Will in the name of encouraging Herb? If the O.T.O. required this *then* it would be hypocritical. It doesn't, so it's not. Since the phrase is "Do what thou wilt" not "Do what thou wilt, as long as you have a good reason for your will" the reasons why it's not my Will to work with Herb are irrelavant. Assume that I went with option B. Herb then goes down the hall and finds another O.T.O. member, I'll call her Barb the Thelemite. If Barb decides that it is her Will to work with Herb I'll have (and should have) nothing to say about it. Herb, Barb, and myself are all excercising what we see as our Will. Sounds Thelemic to me. Love is the law, love under will. Todd ___ X SLMR 2.1a X On the whole I'd rather be reading Proust 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718