From: Karl Lembke Area: Thelema To: L'Amour Dujour 15 Sep 92 09:15:16 Subject: Traffic UpdReq LD> KL> Well, I mean a process that takes the raw soul and polishes LD> KL> it, preparatory to returning to the source. LD> Vi> ??? Sounds like digging a hole and cleaning the dirt before putting LD> Vi> it back in the ground. LD>Vitriol: Your comment makes sense, but think of it this way: LD>You're digging up the dirt, cleaning it of pollution, and returning it LD>to the Earth. A most worthwhile task, and necessary!! (both to the Soul, LD>and to Mama Earth, in this day and age.) LD>Read: Pollution - Elements put into the soil that disturb the balance LD>and harmony of the complete. Be it soda cans and tinfoil, or Cultural LD>Baggage and Peer Pressure. An alternative view could be taking the dirt and adding amendments like compost, lime, or other materials to bring it into better balance for whatever you want to plant there. ___ X SLMR 1.0 X REALITY.SYS corrupted - Unable to recover universe. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Karl Lembke Area: Thelema To: Liliani 23 Sep 92 09:23:00 Subject: Right & wrong 1/ UpdReq LI> SJ> For example "Thou shalt not kill" is IMPOSSABLE LI> SJ> to follow! Your immune LI> SJ> system kills all the time, and if you shut it LI> SJ> off, you kill yourself. LI> SJ> "Do not kill unless endangered" comes closer to reasonable, but is LI> SJ> reletivistic since it leaves the determination of "endangered" up to LI> SJ> interpretation. LI>Precisely. But then I do beleive that morality must be LI>situational. However, I do not believe that the end LI>necessarily justifies the means, since there is almost LI>always a variety of means to any given end. Indeed, given that the proper translation of that phrase is "Thou shall not murder" (Hebrew has words for both "kill" and "murder", with pretty much the same connotations that exist in the modern English words.), the situationality becomes apparent. What, after all, is murder, except killing when the situation doesn't justify it? ___ X SLMR 1.0 X EXECUTIVE ERROR: STARTING SYSOP ERASURE.....COMPLETED. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Karl Lembke Area: Thelema To: Liliani 23 Sep 92 09:23:02 Subject: Re: Love under Will UpdReq LI>I have read a great deal about the subject, and from a LI>number of sides of the issue. The fact is that there are LI>too many human beings on the Earth. Note I did not say too LI>many colored people. I did not say too many people in LI>Africa. I did not say too many people in India, or China. LI>I said too many human beings on this one planet. I heard that the UN has figured that the Earth currently produces enough food to feed the population of the Earth. LI>What can we do about this? Well we could use our minds, and our wills and LI>our technology to lower the population. Or we can ignore LI>the problem until the Earth smacks us around and LI>depopulates us with AIDS, other plagues, and natural LI>disasters. Or we can have a few more nice bloody wars. I LI>prefer the first option. Me too. LI>I am not against AIDS research or LI>supplying medicine to peoples who are less technologically LI>advanced that we are. I never said anything to imply that LI>I was. I am a "technogreen" that strange breed of LI>environmentalist who actually beleives that we can save the LI>environment and the world through using the best of our LI>technology rather than by denying technology. I think technology will eventually develop the means to handle the problems that currently plague the world. Of course, by the time we solve those, new, and more fearsome looking problems will have come up. The task our children will face will involve solving those problems, and I predict there will be very vocal critics longing for the "good old days" when all people had to deal with were trivial problems like curing cancer and aids and figuring out how to dispose of our pollutants. (Isn't it interesting how quickly a problem becomes "trivial" once it's solved?) LI>A big part of the population boom around the world in this century came fro LI>the widespread applications of modern medicine and LI>agriculture without corresponding widespread use of LI>birthcontrol. Interestingly enough, once medicine, food, etc are sufficiently widely available that people have some assurance that a child born to them will live to adulthood, they quit having so many children. People aren't stupid. After the first child, they know how much work it is to raise one. As soon as they have some assurance that they will have someone to take care of them in their old age, they ease off. The cutoff, in terms of standard of living, seems to be about equivalent to an annual income of $5000 per capita. (Or is that per family? I forget...) ___ X SLMR 1.0 X F is for Fanny sucked dry by a leech 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718